LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-04-06, 7:18pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

LOL - That's why you're not seeing as many beads out of me. I'm a tad bit distracted! My husband is alternating between being into the project and being dead shocked that the cheap Fireworks beadmaking kit he bought me for Christmas has spawned all this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-04-06, 8:04pm

ROFLMAO Pat - wait till he sees what the shedio does when he sees you move from the Fireworks Kit to the torch and oxygen stepup! BTW I started on the fireworks kit! Even tho people say its cheap I still like it - specially when working sculture or silver! It's not as hot so doesn't melt my sculptures as fast! AND it's great when your traveling - soooo easy to take along!

LynieG
Old 2012-04-06, 8:13pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I moved to a pair of hotheads, which I'll be putting on tanked propane after I move to the shed, but that's going to be it for a year or two. #1, the budget is going to be pretty well blown by the time I'm done with this project, #2, it's going to be sub-freezing a fair amount of the year, and I'm not too sure about how well that will work with an oxycon, and #3 - I'm running off generator out there, and I suspect adding an oxycon would put me over my limit for power.

L-111

Old 2012-04-06, 9:49pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
LOL - That's why you're not seeing as many beads out of me. I'm a tad bit distracted! My husband is alternating between being into the project and being dead shocked that the cheap Fireworks beadmaking kit he bought me for Christmas has spawned all this.
Whoops...
Old 2012-04-07, 4:11am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

As Elphaba says, "no good deed goes unpunished."

I did a lovely jpg floor plan to share - but it's too big to upload, and I just don't have time to try any more today. Have to get Easter groceries and make a parts run to Lowes.

L-111

Old 2012-04-07, 4:52pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Made some progress today - made a Lowes trip, picked up most of the remaining parts for the studio. We got about half the insulation up, the joists up for the loft over my workbench, the fan installed, wiring pulled and plug boxes situated, and a couple of them are wired.

We picked up 2 sheets of white pegboard which will be hung over the workbench and alongside the drafting table. And we got the panaling - it's a very beachy whitewashed cedar, exactly what I wanted.

The goal for tomorrow, if we can manage it around holiday dinner obligations, is to finish the wiring and get enough of the paneling up so we can begin installing the benches.

L-111

Old 2012-04-07, 5:50pm
i'm not dave

i bet you are having a blast doing this. can't wait to see the finished interior!
Old 2012-04-08, 5:54pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Had a great Easter! I told my Mom and our daughter & son in law that we'd be eating later than our usual holiday meals, supper rather than lunch. We got up and got to work right after breakfast, and made real progress today! I finished up all of the insulation on the torch end wall, the 2 door walls, the dutch door, and above the loft on the torch end. We figured out how to mark the electrical boxes on the back of the paneling, and got the torch wall and half of the door wall done, predominately with the paneling, but with a strip of pegboard on either side of the door. (there will be an additional 8 feet of pegboard over the back wall workbench.)

So far, I love the look. Next steps will be finishing the wiring on the back wall, so I can finish up the insulation and we can do the rest of the paneling, installing the loft over the torch wall, putting a metal skin over the portion of the wall in front of the torches, installing the benches. And lots and lots of paint. Still lots to do, but we got a good start this weekend.

L-111

Old 2012-04-09, 9:05am
i'm not dave

what a cozy nest for creating!
Old 2012-04-14, 4:46pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Productive day today! We got the lofts at both ends of the shed decked over - the lofts are 6' deep and over 7 1/2' wide, I should be able to free up lots of space in my husband's workshop - he's already started moving camping gear from his barn to mine!

I had to leave for a parts run, and to take Mom grocery shopping; while I was gone DH finished wiring the outlets. We finished all of the paneling except for the back wall, which is over half finished.

That wall - the long wall with no doors or windows - has a short run of paneling which will be at the end of the torch bench, then there is an 8' run of pegboard, which will be over a work bench, finishing up with more paneling.

We also ran the ventilation fan for the first time - THAT was exciting! I'm thrilled, it's very quiet, and it REALLY moves the air. Very happy with my selection.

Next steps are finishing the paneling, then installing the benches. This coming week I'll get the new ceilings (underside of the loft & the supporting joists) painted white, and the floor painted dark grey. The torch bench top gets painted grey, then topped with ceramic tile that I picked up today.

We're getting there!

L-111

Last edited by eregel; 2012-04-14 at 4:49pm.
Old 2012-04-14, 5:21pm

OH Pat! It seem to be moving so quickly! Can you see my bright green glow from here?!? LOL! I am so excited for you! It's going to be AWESOME!

LynieG
Old 2012-04-14, 7:48pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Oh, wow. And I'm equally envious of all the power points It sure is coming together

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-04-14, 7:51pm

Damn. This is sparking so many ideas. How do you know so much about all is venatalation and insulation stuff?
Old 2012-04-15, 2:28am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Research, research, research. I've read every single post on this forum on the Safety thread (not all at once, obviously, over the course of weeks.) Use the Search function, it's your best friend.

Truthfully, the big step is accepting that you need to do it right - this stuff is potentially just too dangerous not to take it seriously. Plus it's fairly expensive setting up, so you want to do it right the first time.

Di - don't be TOO jealous of the outlets. They're still coming off a generator - it's like having a whole checkbook but not a whole lot of cash in the account.

L-111

Last edited by eregel; 2012-04-15 at 2:30am.
Old 2012-04-15, 4:48pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

SUPER productive day today! We got almost all the remaining paneling in - all that's left is a narrow section at one end and the insides of the doors. And we got both the torch bench and the workbench installed. DH finished the wiring and installed my lights.

Torch bench is 30" deep, the full width of the end wall - just about 7 1/2'. The workbench is 18" deep, 8' long. Both are roughly 34" tall - I prefer to work standing. There's an 18" wide shelf under the torch bench.

I'm all ready for paint tomorrow - white on the ceiling, dark gray on the floor, haven't decided about the workbenches yet, but probably a caribbean blue. It's exactly what I planned, I can't WAIT to see it finished!

L-111

Last edited by eregel; 2012-04-15 at 4:51pm.
Old 2012-04-15, 5:00pm
Loving learning

So exciting! I'm happy for you that it's going well and will be done soon!
Old 2012-04-15, 5:16pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Looking great Pat, can't wait to see how it all turns out & what you make once you are installed in there. Having a decent work area made a huge difference for me, even if it's not all sorted out yet, 12 months after I moved in to it .

Old 2012-04-16, 12:07am
shirts

This is coming together beautifully - and providing me with LOTS of inspiration for my own studio construction over here (Phase 1 is completed - repair leaking and slowly-falling-apart shed and garage!!).
This might already have been mentioned in the thread (but I am a visual gal and just fly through looking for pics!!), but could you tell me more about the fan that you got??
Looking forward to seeing your studio come together!!
Annie.
Old 2012-04-16, 4:43am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Annie - here's the link to the fan - all the details including a video are there: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hv...hutter-3-speed

It worked out to be a great choice for me - it's got a lot of power, 3 speeds, which I was really happy about - I don't always need the air moving that fast, it's going to be nice to have more control, and a fairly easy install once we figured out how to frame it in.

First we framed the opening top and bottom

Then cut the hole - I never took a picture at this stage, it's just a square hole the size of the fan box. Slid the fan through and screwed it to the framing.

The important thing to note here is that it arrives with bare wires hanging out of the switch - you need to do your own wiring. Rather than wire it in, DH put a plug on it.

Finally, we caulked around the outside. This is when it's running, and the shutters are wide open.

Now that the benches are installed, I'll smoke test and see what we'll need to do in terms of hood/box. As discussed on the Safety forum, it looks like I've actually got enough CFM that I may not have to get too elaborate. It certainly clears DH's cigar smoke FAST! As it should - which the lofts closed off the shed is only around 700 cubic feet total, with is half the LOW speed CFM of the fan, and one-third of the high speed CFM. If you figure just the area above the bench is basically an overside Barley Box, you get about 100 cubic feet, which the fan is exhausting REALLY fast.

As I said, I'll test it, but I suspect additional baffles probably aren't needed.

L-111

Old 2012-04-16, 5:56am
ALWAYS SMILES

Great Place to create ! That is my dream--to move my studio out to a separate building also......fantastic counter space & storage. And great ventilation !
Old 2012-04-16, 9:41am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Fantastic job.
Might think about adding a ceiling. It will reduce any annoying swirl currents induced by the ceiling joists. Probably not a problem or even noticable but would make the beautiful job look more finished. Just a thought.
PJH
Old 2012-04-16, 3:49pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I painted it out today - pictures later, if I don't totally collapse! It looks beautiful, I'm having so much fun watching it come together.

Tomorrow I have to go get fingerprinted - changing from the full time payroll to an hourly employee means I have to do the whole new employee rigamarole, wasted half a day in orientation last week, sigh.... ANYway, the fingerprint place is about 2 miles from Metal Supermarket, so I'm going to go see them. I'm having them fabricate a steel piece that will cover the wall beyond the torches, make a right-angle bend to cover the bench top, then another right angle bend down to give me a 1" lip, covering the leading edge of the plywood. (I'm having it made with the bench top 1/2" shorter than the depth of the bench, so it can be mounted with an airspace behind the steel using washers - not sure whose post I read that in, but it's a great idea!)

We'll need the truck to pick it up, but I can get it ordered tomorrow. Then, when we get it home I'm going to spray it black with BBQ paint so I can see the freaking flame for once...

Still need a couple of minor things - some hooks & eyes so that I can hook the doors open, and hasps & padlocks, plus we need to finalize our plans for the "hatch" between the lofts. Oh, and I still need to paint the bench legs, and the top of the 8' workbench. Tomorrow, with any luck.

Then it's time to move in, and then it's time to find a bulk tank and hoses so I can get off the 1lb cylinders...

L-111

Old 2012-04-16, 4:31pm
Loving learning

You're almost there, yea!
Old 2012-04-16, 6:10pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Today was another big step! I was really swamped with shipping, between eBay and finally getting my Frit exchange beads mailed, but it was a 90 degree, low humidity day - a combination that NEVER happens here - and I just HAD to get some of the painting done!

Got 2 coats of white on the overhead decking and joists, continuing the beachy feel of the paneling, and 2 coats of dark gray (yes, I know the camera makes it look blue) on the floor. I also got started on the things I need to spray paint - made my vintage metal waste basket Ocean Blue, and sprayed some wire mesh bins and cups Flamingo Pink and Tangerine orange. Tomorrow I'll pick up paint for the workbenches, and I may actually start moving stuff in! YAY!

L-111

Old 2012-04-17, 5:26pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

More paint today - and when DH got home from work we got the paneling on the double doors. AND, I stopped into Metal Supermarkets this morning and ordered the torch bench steel, should have it by the weekend. I'm getting really close - we need to buy one more sheet of paneling, then we can finish up all but the details.

Today was all about painting trim and workbenches. Window frames and such are a deep royal blue, the legs of the benches are Caribbean Blue, and the top on the workbench is a paint effect using the two colors and a little white on a base of the grey I used on the floor.

Closeup of the paint

Plus I spent some time with spray paint - turning the black wire pieces I bought into tropical colors.

It's starting to come together!

L-111

Old 2012-04-17, 5:58pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Oh yeah! Now that' what I'm talking about

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-04-17, 9:32pm

OH Man Pat! You have come so far and are so close!!! It's looking beautimous! And your colors are so FUN! I don't think I would EVER leave my studio if it looked like yours!

LynieG
Old 2012-04-18, 6:03am

Drool, drool!!! Congrats - thanks for keeping us up to date.
Old 2012-04-18, 8:44am
Salt Box Beads

Looking good! Don't forget the fire extinguisher and the aloe vera plant just in case.

A lot of peeps here use silver nitrate cream which is actually Silver Sulphadiazine and I am allergic to sulfites so I don't want to take any chances.

I prefer the natural plant healing. It is the only thing that takes away the pain for me.
Old 2012-04-18, 9:20am
shirts

Thanks for the details and the added images - I appreciate those!!
Annie.