Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2020-04-19, 4:01pm

Default Need advice.

My old PC went to the pc grave yard. It was time for a new one anyway. HOWEVER it had my Adobe Photoshop on it. Got an new pc and went to find my adobe Photoshop disk to download it on the new pc. Long story short, I had to buy a new Adobe Photoshop However the new is NOT like the old dearly loved one. However the old one was about 10+ years old. The new ones are really confusing for me. I can seem to find anything I need and it's really 2 programs, ( Premiere and Elements) and it seems that I have to click between the two programs to get anything.

ANY HELP ???

Liz R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2020-04-20, 11:15am
Phill

Question; Did you keep the hard drive from the old machine?

If so there is a very good possibility that your old program is still on it and you just need a geek/nerd to bring it back to life for you.

This is, of course, a great lesson in backing up your computer hard disk once a month / 6 months / every year so you can get this stuff back with the smallest amount of loss as possible.

Any time you put in enough effort to say to your self " I hope nothing happens to ruin all that work I have done ", that is when you should back up everything on your computer.

And even if the hard drive does finally die on you there are lots of companies that can take it apart and get the information out of it and give it back to you, for a nominal fee of course.

Those costs are usually when it is priceless pictures and videos of family that you are trying to resurrect.

My Windows 8.1 machine just died on me in February but I put the old hard drive into my new computer and got all my old files and programs back in a snap.

As for getting those old programs to work on the new machine that is going to take me a while to geek out the details and if I can't figure it out then I will take the whole mess up to Best Buy and let their geek squad try to bring them back to life.

Hugs.

I know it sucks dirty brown swamp water for this to happen to you.
Old 2020-04-20, 11:32am
Loving learning

I wonder if you contacted Adobe and told them you would rather have the older version, if they would do something for you.
Old 2020-04-20, 11:39am
Phill

A lot of the old program sources have gotten out of the old "One Time Purchase and Use It For Life" mindset and have switched over to "Rent It From Us Once a Year, Every Year Forever" money grubbing mindset.

And they are charging us the One Time Purchase Price every year now as well.

That's why I am looking at shifting over to the Linux programming world and getting out of the Windows and Apple worlds.
Old 2020-04-20, 11:43am
Loving learning

I have the free GIMP for more complicated image editing now, but need to do some research in how to use it for layers and such. I can stumble around, but I need to find a tutorial and practice.
Old 2020-04-20, 1:08pm

Thank you all for the reply. I think I will try and contact Adobe and see if they can download the old program first if not then I'll try some other program to get this done
Liz R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Old 2020-04-20, 4:15pm

Well guess what I found on e-bay. LOL my original photoshop program. I'm a happy camper now.
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Old 2020-04-20, 4:46pm
Phill

There may be a problem with old programming not working with newer machines as well.

Some of the program internal steps may use steps in the micro processors that no longer exist on newer machines.

Also you might need to look for a setting that pretends to emulate older computers and / or older software like Windows 7 or Vista or even Windows XP.

Good Luck.

ETA: Something else you might look for is old working computers like the one that died on you both on Ebay and places like Craigs List or any other possibilities.
Heck, you could have relatives (people like me) that just can't seem to throw out older machines (especially if the things still have a chance of being used by somebody somewhere).
I keep telling myself that I will get them into the hands of a some non-profit or something as a printer only machine or for really young kids to play with to learn keyboards or mouse use or some such.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2020-04-20 at 4:55pm.
Old 2020-04-20, 7:39pm

Pill. This did cross my mind, I'll deal with that when it comes up. Old computers are a dime a dozen here in the Great Pacific NW.
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.