LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-11-06, 4:11pm

Default House propane on Hothead...

We heat the house and cook with Propane gas...We have a 500 Gal. tank outside and I was wondering if I could have my plumber run a pipe to connect into my work area with a shut off valve and then run a hose from that to my Hothead torch?...We already have a valve in my room for our gas heater (which isn't connected yet)...I comes up in the opposite corner of the room and I'm sure they could easily extend it to my side of the room...

Any ideas on that thought?...I am tired of buying these little 1 pound containers of MAPP gas and I hate throwing them away...

Here's a pic of my work space:

One bead at a time...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
--
Old 2006-11-06, 4:27pm

hey, i kinda have the same question (so sorry, i'm not here to answer yours! ). we also have a huge propane tank right outside (that we use for our kitchen stove), and i was wondering the same thing. the only difference is that i have a minor torch.

by the way, sweet little work space!
Old 2006-11-06, 4:34pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You can't..... Its again fire code to plumb full tank pressure propane (120psi or more) into a residence... NFPA codes (part 58) restricts pressure to a maximum of 20 psi, and in some cases even less that can be piped into a building....

Besides if you have a leak into building, you can have 500 gallons of propane in your building in a very few minutes and you now have a fuel-air bomb big enough to level 8 city blocks...

Gas pressure that IS already piped into your home is probably at 1/4 psi and will NOT run anything but small fuel/oxygen torch...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-11-06 at 4:37pm.
Old 2006-11-06, 4:44pm

Dale...

The gas from the tank outside is piped into the house for the furnace, cooking stove and gas heating stove...Would this pressure be too high to pipe to the torch?...

One bead at a time...

--
--
--
Old 2006-11-06, 4:46pm

My husband said they put a regulator on the pipe to make it the correct PSI...Wouldn't this work?...He seems to think it would...

One bead at a time...

--
--
--
Old 2006-11-06, 5:01pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You dont understand... Normal propane tank pressure is about 120psi.... Once propane leave tank, it goes through a regulator and is reduced to about 1/4 psi for use with appliances such as stoves, ovens and water heaters and furnaces... This is normal for residential installation. This is what you have now.

This regulated pressure (1/4 psi) is a acceptable for some fuel/oxygen torches such as a Minor or Bobcat or a National 8m with SM 5 or SM 7 tip and many others.

HOT Head requires FULL tank pressure at 120 PSI to operate... It is ILLEGAL to permanently pipe in propane into residence at this pressure. Also it is very dangerous to do this from 500 gallon bulk tank...

A work around is use a small 20 lb. tank (BBQ style) and a long hose, 12-15 feet, that will allow small tank to be outside and torch inside.... This is a temporary situation and must be removed (broken down) each time you finish torching session. The TANK must remain outside at all times and you can bring hose in through door or window but not through wall.

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7
http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9

IF it becomes a problem to get bulk propane to HH, maybe its time to move up to fuel/oxygen torch.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-11-06 at 5:09pm.
Old 2006-11-06, 6:14pm

OHHHHH...Now I understand...Thanks for clearing that up Dale...

Well then...I will need to get a new torch that is a fuel/oxygen torch...By the time I am ready for that step up it will be nice birthday present to myself...

Thanks again...I'll be checking out torches and doing my homework for the next couple of months...

One bead at a time...

--
--
--
Old 2006-11-07, 2:10pm
Glass Jack in the Box

Then once you get the two-gas torch, you can see about getting the gas guy to set the tank reg at 5 psi, and then add pressure reducers that reduce to 1/4 psi or so for each of the appliances that uses the propane.

I think I've also seen a setup where the tank supply is teed off after the regulator, and one line running 5 psi for the torch, and the other line at 1/4 psi for the household appliances.

PondRacer