Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-11-07, 9:13pm
Flamewoman

Default November Show and Tell

Here are some very recent works.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/at...1&d=1446955961
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-08, 6:27am
DaveK

Very impressive!
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-11-08, 8:06am

Love your turtles!
Old 2015-11-08, 9:18am
Remember to keep smiling

Mary you are so talented. Loving the little turtles.

SRA#P109
Old 2015-11-08, 1:58pm
ManBearPig

Old 2015-11-08, 5:29pm
Flamewoman

Default More!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/at...1&d=1447028843
Getting ready for my biggest show of the year. Working everyday.
So glad to see you back Chad!
Attached Images

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-08, 5:51pm
Sucks at being nice

Beautiful!

Old 2015-11-11, 10:25am
DaveK

I guess I am kind of obsessed with the butterfly over flower implosion motif. Maybe I'll get one I am satisfied with some day.
You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2015-11-11 at 10:32am.
Old 2015-11-11, 3:24pm
Flamewoman

Nice!!!

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-11, 4:08pm
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Nice!!!
Thanks Mary. I have been trying to get them more positionally naturalistic. It is hard to keep the body from flattening out also.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-11-11, 5:41pm
Flamewoman

Why not skip the flower, and concentrate on just a butterfly marble? I think it would be beautiful.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-12, 3:03am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Why not skip the flower, and concentrate on just a butterfly marble? I think it would be beautiful.
This is more challenging (ړײ)
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-11-12, 4:15pm
Flamewoman

Love that!

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-12, 4:19pm

Awesome fuming, Bernhard. Did you use tubing?

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2015-11-13, 6:22am
ManBearPig

Sorry for my fingers in the shot. These hang just fine, but they don't like to lay flat.
Attached Images

Old 2015-11-13, 6:30am

AMAZING
Old 2015-11-13, 7:22am
Flamewoman

So pretty Chad, those are really nice.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-13, 10:00am

Everything is so nice!

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2015-11-13, 10:20pm
Flamewoman

Default For Miss P

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/at...1&d=1447478283
Here ya go, loki and carmel with china white stamen. I also
added green and black frit to the back.
Now show me yours!
Attached Images

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-14, 6:16am

Thanks Mary, that helps a lot! My first "homework" assignment is in the kiln. I will bravely post it sometime this weekend (scary!)

Old 2015-11-14, 7:08am

A couple fairly recent pieces.

Old 2015-11-14, 7:24am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonst View Post
A couple fairly recent pieces.
Very nice reticello. Someting I have yet to master.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-11-15, 4:49pm

OK, Mary. Here you go. I love the stamens on the first one, but got better colors on the second one. I'll keep at it. Thank you so much!!

Name:  Try1.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  Try2.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  28.9 KB

Old 2015-11-15, 10:32pm
Flamewoman

That's pretty good there Patti. See how you are getting a shadow of the petal underneath the petal? to avoid that make sure your design is all the way to the edge of the maria, and when you are heating it when everything is on and ready roll it like a tire alongside the flame with the flame directed slightly toward your maria. When it is starting to condense hold it behind the flame with the flame hitting the middle for a bit, you almost want to be burning your arm doing this, if it's not getting a little hot, you are not in the right spot but be careful, if your arm gets too hot that's overdoing it, I kind of alternate a bit, what you are doing is getting the middle hotter than the sides. Keep doing this untill it gets in ball shape, press once, almost as far out as you started with, but not quite. then repeat, it will go faster now as the piece is hotter, then press and your shadows should not be there. You are either not getting the design to the edge and trying to press it there, or you are pressing too soon or too much and not reheating enough. Once you get it, you will have it, you just need to learn to judge when to press and how much plus the angles of the flame on the maria make a huge difference. Hope this makes any sense to you. You are doing great. Please post your progress.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-16, 5:25am

Thanks Mary. I'll try that tonight. I usually run out of clear before I run out of petals regardless of where I place the petals. I can see logically how concentrating the heat on the center would help with that. I'm trying to only press once or twice and I watch very carefully while pressing to not smoosh the stamens but it doesn't always work out (as you can see LOL)

I'm probably overly paranoid about not fuming the glass so I'm running my torch so high on oxy that it's hissing. Unfortunately, that cools the flame dramatically. This is the main area where I think there's a difference between NG and Propane. I'm wondering if you run your torch with a hiss or not?

I've also been practicing with soft glass. I know the colors are completely different, but just to make sure I've got the technique down. It just goes much faster. I will persevere!

Old 2015-11-16, 5:32am

Mary (or anyone else),

I'd like to start a FB marble hunt group in my town here. The name of our town is Loveland which is also called Heartland by the locals here. I've been trying to make a special marble to kick things off. I've been trying to do an implosion marble with a heart inside. I've tried drawing a heart with a stringer as well as placing a dot and dragging. Neither worked very well. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

Old 2015-11-16, 7:07am

Moving forward on technique--- after study of uTubes and pics on other sites.

Next i am going to try smaller dots for the stamens----and compress four times before placing pedal lines.

Different diameter canes make a big difference with pedal development through the process.

On this one I tooled between the pedals--- the pedals were from 2 mm stringer/canes- that is dented the clear beside pedal lines.

The cane was NS star white--- with one layer of opage NS yellow--- then covered with transparent yellow---.

Laying the pedal-- with the smallest flame I can get from the center lamp of my old Bethlehem PMD2 model A ( 40 year old torch)

I compress the first pedals four times--- then the second pedals three times--- then apply the green leaves and compress everything about three times.

I reposition the maria or invert my work to migrate glass rod-ward during the final stages to encourage the base of the floral to be positioned at the bottom of miria when it becomes an imploded marble.

I seem to be making progress and free flowing pedals after compressions by heating the shoulder of the Maria first-- then the maria body afterward. Describing this process in a text message is a bit difficult.

Last edited by SteveR; 2015-11-16 at 7:31am. Reason: Dialog
Old 2015-11-16, 7:08am
Flamewoman

For me Patti I had to make a choice between boro and soft. I started with soft glass, but always wanted to work boro. Once I started working with boro, I still alternated with the soft glass but found I was not as good as when I was only working soft glass, and I felt like it was holding me back on getting good with boro. So I eventually decided to sell all my soft glass and concentrate on boro only. Glad I did. It was hard to be proficient on both for me. As for a heart, just make a twisty in some bright colors that is not bubblie and goes on smoothly for you, make a heart with it on the maria, then make dots all around and inside it and then compress. Check out some of Trey Cornette's work on FB I think he has done hearts this way, plus he is awesome.

Steve! really nice work

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-16, 7:41am
ManBearPig

Some stuff from this weekend...
Attached Images

Old 2015-11-16, 8:18am

Default 1st. Try at Cosmo's tutorial (Post #16)

My first try at Cosmo's tutorial, DNA Pendant, from posting #16.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]