Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-11-16, 8:31am
ManBearPig

You got some really good colors from the fuming. I like the design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-11-16, 8:54am

Oh your too kind Cosmo. Your tutorials are the best, they stay on my work bench for reference. You have taken me down the path to using tubing, oh what fun. Always ready for your next, be it written or video.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2015-11-16, 9:08am
ManBearPig

Video is coming. Probably early next year. Trying to get a few other things taken care of before I jump into that.

Old 2015-11-17, 9:19am

Nice Cosmo--- I like that vortex a lot. others great too!
Old 2015-11-18, 1:28pm
DaveK

Default November Show and Tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane View Post
Oh your too kind Cosmo. Your tutorials are the best, they stay on my work bench for reference. You have taken me down the path to using tubing, oh what fun. Always ready for your next, be it written or video.

I would like to watch that. Is there a link? I usually only get greens and whites from fuming. Maybe a reflected blue. Interested on how to get the various reds, blues and purples. I assume the white scum at the bottom of the butterfly was because I didn't burn enough fume off after placing my wings. There is a Heavy Blue Leprechaun body under there somewhere.
You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2015-11-18 at 1:56pm.
Old 2015-11-18, 1:50pm

KA, This is a written tutorial by Cosmo, think it was in Volume II.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2015-11-18, 2:07pm
DaveK

I checked his pendys on etsy and didn't see the colors you got there. Was that all fuming or additional glass colors?
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-11-18, 3:01pm
ManBearPig

It's all about different amount of different fuming. The ones I have on there right now are made on my new torch. I haven't found the sweet spot for fuming with it yet. Silver yeah, but still struggling to find the right flame with gold.

Old 2015-11-19, 2:44am
DaveK

I always fume silver after gold. I figure the higher O2 would mess up the silver and the glass needs to be hotter for the gold. Is that the correct order or do you get different colors fuming gold last? Also, I have tried to strike in the kiln and the water cool down trick but, for me, it's pretty much wysiwyg.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-11-19, 6:48am
ManBearPig

It depends on several variables. I tend to do gold first, but there are times I've done silver first. You just have to be careful when fuming the gold to not burn off your silver.

The kind of clear you use matters too. But you have to have a good amount of silver in there to get it to strike in the kiln.

This is a piece I made a couple weeks back:

It's only silver. No gold. But the heavy silver fume created the orange and yellow. The silver also grew as I was working it and when I put it in the kiln. Here is a shot of it while I was making it:

Old 2015-11-19, 7:58am
ManBearPig

Here's another good example. The two on the outside are gold and silver. The one in the center is just silver.
Attached Images

Old 2015-11-19, 8:25am

Fact: I know very little about fuming, but I like it a lot.
My routine on fuming: silver first with a reduction flame, yellow tip of flame licking your silver then transferring to your piece further out and not too heavy a coating. Then gold, normal flame, with gold at the tip of the cones, piece out and catching the gold. Then I hit it again with the silver, lightly. Simax clear. Torch is a Bravo with two concentrators. And I wear a respirator when fuming.
Didn't know you could get those colors with just silver, interesting.
KA, did you use just silver too?

Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2015-11-19, 7:24pm

Name:  favorite.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  25.6 KB

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2015-11-19, 9:52pm
DaveK

Nice Patti G.

No i have used just silver but I like a vaiety of colors. After doing the silver first and changing to a normal flame the silver has a tenancy to turn white on me.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-11-19, 10:23pm
Flamewoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by missp_32 View Post
I sure hope you are happy with this one, because it is really nice.
I think this is the best pendant that I have seen, that you have made.
Nice work Patti.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-20, 4:17am
DaveK

I will have to reread all the fuming notes from FB group glassblowing tips and tricks again. I fume silver to a gasoline color (when hot) any more "silvery", when hot, just turns to milk when cold. I have seen some people say, when doing the honeycomb, on tubing, to fume until it's silver looking but I haven't tried that yet.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-11-20, 5:39am

Thanks Mary

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2015-11-20, 9:02am
ManBearPig

For a honeycomb, fume it as heavy as you can get it. You want it opaque.

Old 2015-11-21, 1:08pm
DaveK

Two exposures with the light Photoshopped out.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-11-22, 2:44am

Thank you everyone for showing these beautiful pieces. They are so inspiring to a newbie like me

some of my recent works

This marbles has a little secret inverted implosion with a nice kaleidoscope effect

and I made some turtles too !

Old 2015-11-22, 7:49am
DaveK

Very noce Lezi.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-11-23, 7:09am
ManBearPig

Still trying to figure out how to fume gold on this new torch. Haven't gotten there yet. Some gold in here but mostly silver.
Attached Images

Old 2015-11-23, 7:10am
ManBearPig

And another marble from yesterday...
Attached Images

Old 2015-11-24, 12:58pm
DaveK

Nice dot stack what white do you like? I bought a bunch of TAG Whiteout odds/seconds before I knew much about lampworking and it sucks for dot stacking.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-11-24, 2:06pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Nice dot stack what white do you like? I bought a bunch of TAG Whiteout odds/seconds before I knew much about lampworking and it sucks for dot stacking.
Not this one. It's TAG Dwarf White. Works well in the flame, but the next day most of it had checked. So I'll probably be just giving this marble away or leaving it somewhere for someone to find or something.

I am not sure which white is the white to have right now. I'm still trying to find a good one.

Old 2015-11-24, 10:45pm
Flamewoman

Default Just a little flame pendant..............

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/at...1&d=1448430208
Attached Images

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-25, 6:40am
DaveK

Very nice Mary. Looks like the bottom of a jelly fish, kind of.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-11-25, 8:26am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Not this one. It's TAG Dwarf White. Works well in the flame, but the next day most of it had checked. So I'll probably be just giving this marble away or leaving it somewhere for someone to find or something.

I am not sure which white is the white to have right now. I'm still trying to find a good one.
I did a search on FB GB Tips & Tricks several praised Borostix, Paramore. Mixed reviews on China Jade White.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-11-25, 8:33am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
I did a search on FB GB Tips & Tricks several praised Borostix, Paramore. Mixed reviews on China Jade White.
A lot of people seem to like the Dwarf White. That's why I got it. People like TAG Jawbone too. Haven't tried that one.

I like the borostix, but they are a pain to use. China White seems to work really well. I haven't tried any yet though. From what I've read several different places, Paramore is just borostix melted and pulled into canes.

There is a new company called Molten Aura that makes a white that seems to be getting good reviews. I haven't tried it yet though.

The best white I've used is NS Egyptian White Sand, but it's not a pure white. More of an eggshell color.

This is why I stay away from white for the most part. Too unpredictable.

Old 2015-11-25, 9:16am
DaveK

Hmmm! I had some Egyptian White Sand and I barely get it hot, far out in a low flame and it bubbled like hot sugar.
You can call me Dave 🎨