Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-12, 5:05am
Jamaican Me Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLinda View Post
ohhhhh, marry an astronomer. They can outspend us glass ho's hands down!

Their telescopes are never big enough....

Linda
Im an astronomer and lampworker, and guitarist and stamp collector and lol
My Telescopes, up to 3 right (pic in profile) now have been a huge investment.
Old 2010-01-12, 6:40am
Life is change. Love it

Wow I jumped straight to number 4, bypassing all the other steps! I worked in a commercial studio before that, I would drive 11/2 hours to get there and stay the weekend, torch both days non-stop then drive home. Luckily I started making money pretty much right away, so DH was OK with the large expenditure to set up my studio. Also I think he was tired of doing all the child care/house stuff by himself every weekend!

If I didn't make a profit I would seriously have to think about giving this up. It is just too expensive as a hobby!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-12, 11:30am
Salt Box Beads

I started this thread when I saw all of the newbies struggling about the cost of a good fan...

or the building of a good barley box ( exhaust system) or the price of a concentrator, torch, regulators, some of the nicer glass colors etc. They were either complaining about the costs and asking for ways to 'get around" the costs of equipment or just in shock about the high costs of the right equipment.

My first thought was ohhh boy, they are already in trouble and they haven't even really started yet.

This is an easy hobby to get into with just the HH kit. But that is only a little "SAMPLE" of what lampworking can really be about.

Fishbulb...Me too, same thing.

So Newbies, if you are reading this , the truth about this hobby is it will cost you THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS if you are serious about it.

Maybe yachting is cheaper???? I have always wanted to go to the Galapagos Islands....

or maybe I should just buy some more silver glass?
( Storm tutorial did it for me)

Hugs
Lorraine
Old 2010-01-12, 11:43am
Melt That Glass

Lorraine,
I'd just settle for being able to justify buying silver glass. Just can't seem to spend the money for it when I have a hard time with Raku!!! lol

Knight Bullet, 2 cons and tanked
Old 2010-01-12, 2:58pm

I am at about a 3 right now, I started in August. I would like to upgrade to a cricket ( i have the bulk propane and a hothead) and an oxycon and won't work with the silver glasses til I get a better fan. I have the hood and its vented to the outside but would still like to upgrade. Ya a shed would be great lol! I did invest in a kiln last month from the glasshive so that was a huge step for me. Fortunately I have a day job and I also sell my jewelry so that does help when it comes to buying glass. But I knew what I was getting into and like it enough that I don't CARE what it costs. I just have to do it in small steps lol!

Old 2010-01-12, 3:09pm

Still cheaper per year than a shrink.lol
Joan
Old 2010-01-12, 9:54pm
Salt Box Beads

Carolyn, I totally agree..but we do LUV it.

Jan, you need a different torch that will make that raku sing..

Sonja, small steps are good! and make it (seem) not so expensive..

Joan....is that what were doing? Oh Yea..I forgot....

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-01-12 at 9:57pm.
Old 2010-01-12, 10:10pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post

Maybe yachting is cheaper???? I have always wanted to go to the Galapagos Islands....
Bwahahahahahaha! Yeah RIGHT!

"A BOAT IS A HOLE IN THE WATER INTO WHICH YOU THROW MONEY!"

Don't ask me how I know!
Old 2010-01-13, 10:47am
Salt Box Beads

I knew you would be able to answer that one! But which hobby is more fun???

I know I know...you get a different kind of thrill from each one, but there is the propensity to earn it's keep with lampworking.

Lorraine
Old 2010-01-13, 11:44am
fritaholic

Because DH and I are both doing lampworking, we had to get 2 of all of the equipment except the kiln, and we bought a very large one of those. We both use mega minors with EX15 oxy cons and natural gas. Having that line run and the pressure boosted to 5 psi cost almost $1800 by itself. Fortunately, it was the only thing DH could not do himself.
Add in the tables for both of us and the kiln table, the good chairs, the wiring, the fans, the duct work, the shelving units, the glass, the tools (times 2), etc., etc, etc., and I don't even want to add up the receipts for tax time. We've made a guestimate at over $10,000. I won't even begin to mention the classes we've taken or are currently registered for at Corning (It is both a blessing and a curse to live as close as we do.)

Are we selling? Some.
Are we having fun? YOU BET!!!

Lisa and Phil
Old 2010-01-13, 4:05pm
GlassDocNC

My husband's hobby is general aviation. So far I haven't spent as much on glass and gear as he has on a small plane. So in my book he can't complain.
Old 2010-01-13, 5:51pm
Salt Box Beads

Oh dear! Speaking of books, I have a small fortune in DVDs, books magazines, tutorials and more. Yep, It has to be fun to spend this kind of money.

Lorraine
Old 2010-01-14, 2:10am
picking Job's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaglassgal View Post
My husband's hobby is general aviation. So far I haven't spent as much on glass and gear as he has on a small plane. So in my book he can't complain.
mine has a 14" telescope, mount, CCD camera, etc. - I have to admit that he has used it for teaching classes -, not as much as a plane by a long ways, but as torch, glass, kiln etc. go, he's spent more on that. As beads and jewelry making supplies go, I probably spent more, but I sell those too, so that's inventory.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2010-01-14, 8:54am

About a year ago, I took a glass lesson and came home. By the look in my eyes, my Hubby saw I was seduced. Hook line and sinker. He was the one to suggest doing number #4 right away (already had a spare room to use), because he knows that when I am so absorbed with something, I will do something with it. We dont regret one penny spent on ventilation, torch, kiln with controller and oxycon. He had always been the one to get the more quality items than me. But he also loves guitars and amps and music equip....

Old 2010-01-14, 10:14am
Salt Box Beads

It is kinda fun now that I can outshop DH at Harbor Freight and I have lots of tools and have taken over some space in 'his' garage and I want big tool boxes and actually have power tools that he "borrows" LOL

We actually putter around in the different garage area set ups at the same time, he doing mostly woodwork and me with the metalsmithing, etching or coring and then when I am in the horse trailer I open up the back doors and it faces right into the garage so we can see and hear each other..

We really enjoy puttering around together. I never thought my fav stores would be Harbor freight and Home Depot.

Lorraine
Old 2015-05-16, 7:02pm
Salt Box Beads

***BUMP***
Thought I would revive this thread for any newbies that might be interested.
Old 2015-05-16, 8:32pm

SHHHHH-HH!! Just Shush up RIGHT NOW! Do you really want my DH to know how much I have actually spent on this hobby??
Old 2015-05-17, 1:26pm

I started 8 months ago and have a nice studio and equipment for $3,000

Now I want a homefill $800

A GTT Mirage $1,750

Then I will have to buy more glass....
Old 2015-05-17, 6:39pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocake View Post
SHHHHH-HH!! Just Shush up RIGHT NOW! Do you really want my DH to know how much I have actually spent on this hobby??
Best to not let him have your password for LE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post
I started 8 months ago and have a nice studio and equipment for $3,000

Now I want a homefill $800

A GTT Mirage $1,750

Then I will have to buy more glass....
This sounds about right....
Old 2015-05-17, 9:06pm
Artist

Any hobby/business you are serious about will end up costing you money. It's inevitable. You might as well enjoy doing what you like as a career, instead of spending money on a career you dread going to work to each day.

As a self employed business person I have spent 10's of thousand opening my art gallery and framing shop. After medical issues and 2 back surgeries, my husband's doctor seriously recommended changing careers. Not what we wanted to hear or do, but quality of life was at issue and we made the changes. We began our careers in commercial photography, and jewelry manufacturing. Trust me, it is an endless outgo of cash. Your camera needs replaced every 2 - 3 years and professional DSLR cameras start about 4 -6 thousand, not including lenses. Lets not forget computers, photo editing software, lights, backgrounds, props, website, advertising, current education and seminars, etc. We have a complete jewelry manufacturing studio with whatever my husband needs to create his jewelry pieces. He always needs more copper, silver or gold. I have the dollars spent recorded on paper for business and tax purposes and they are always higher than one thinks. Every business has costs and these costs must be dealt with.

As long as you enjoy doing what ever you are doing, the costs are worth it. I have found it easier to make back my investment in the glass industry than other art forms.

My husband is a professional jeweler manufacturer and he understands the costs of setting up a studio, purchasing the needed equipment, safety issues and so forth as he has a studio in our home. Now he shares his studio space with me and we still have room to add more equipment or workbenches or whatever we need. Plus he is getting interested in glass. He's not torching yet, but may someday as I have invited him to use any of my equipment. I think fusing and slumping may interest him more. We'll have to see. We still have our photo studio in our home as we still get photo jobs. Plus we work part time for the College system in Nevada to help pay taxes and to stay in the photo industry. None of this is cheap. The time we spend at our part-time college jobs is not worth the dollar income earned. But staying in touch with the photo industry and applying our salaries to taxes and business costs make it worth the income and time spent away from our desired careers.

You work to make money to pay for your home, living expenses, raising a family, buy a new car or whatever your priorities are. Mine are glass and photography and my husband's is jewelry. These careers currently make us happy and we can do them as we get older without much wear and tear on our bodies. You only live once to my knowledge and you may as well be happy. So whatever we spend on our glass and jewelry jobs/hobbies is fine with us. We don't purchase everything at once and we can always find a new torch, glass, gemstone or piece of studio equipment to strive for, so we do. We sell our creations and that money goes back into our businesses. We are not frivolous with our spending and we are happy. That is what matters to us. We are content with our decisions of careers and the costs that go with them.

Yes, to start any business or hobby, including glass, is expensive to get into. Safety issues need to be handled and are not cheap, but neither are the medical bills if you ignore these issues. Enter any hobby/business with a realistic vision of yourself and your capabilities to expand your skills and/or business. Investigate the expenses and the returns. Don't forget selling expenses, marketing/advertising/web presence, and other factors. If you are serious you will achieve your goals and be happy, whatever the costs are. That's what matters, your happiness and meeting your goals and priorities (house payment, new car, better torch, etc). It is worth the cost, if you decide it is worth it and then do it and are happy with your results and actions. Happiness and quality of life for you and your family is what is important. Don't excessively spend money on anything you don't really need or can't justify the expense upon. Justify the cost with the results of your investment and returns on that investment. If those results are acceptable, Great! if they are not good enough, then try harder or choose something else to do as a hobby or career and try again in that field.

Ultimately you need to be happy and be successful in whatever you do, be it hobby, career, family life, etc. That is what matters. Everything has a cost to it. It has to balance out in the end with you and your family's happiness and needs. When you choose to make these investments they must pay off in the end in some manner. Not stressing over money is an important factor in happiness so don't over extend yourself financially. Work toward your goals and invest wisely in your future. Happiness will ultimately follow.

Cheryl Hendrick

Old 2015-05-18, 1:37pm

Lorraine, enjoyment from the process of creation is never spoiled by the investment, it is doubled (if you want something and can finally afford it - it is a pleasure)

I'll mix up your setups a bit - I had your #1 to try but in addition I had a kiln (well, +100 UK pounds for the bead door, found it finally as a spare part).

Glass section is expensive in general - SG, fusing, lampwork.. But look at the woodworkers - Festool router is worth a good 5lpm oxycon (without router table, lift, dust removing system). And when they discuss their workshops... I feel happy that I am not interested in woodworking so much
Old 2015-05-18, 11:35pm
Salt Box Beads

"Lorraine, enjoyment from the process of creation is never spoiled by the investment, it is doubled (if you want something and can finally afford it - it is a pleasure)"

Katia, I respectfully disagree. A woman just three weeks ago fell in love with my beads and wanted so badly to learn and start creating her own beads but after we spoke for awhile and she found out the costs of setting up even a entry level studio she said it was beyond her financial capabilities. Newbies have NO idea of the costs of setting up a proper studio.

She had even taken one class which was very disappointing to her so she put it out of her head until she came across my booth.

The process of creation that she already had developed in her artistic mind
( she is very artistic in other areas ) and the fact that she had wanted to do glass for about a year was out of her reach financially. Her enthusiasm and joy WAS completely spoiled and was removed just by the investment she would have had to make.

I do however agree with you that if she could have afforded the expense she would have doubled her pleasure for sure.

The main reason I started this thread was so people with very limited income would not get wrapped up in a very addictive hobby and find out AFTERWARDS they could not possibly afford it. I have seen it happen over and over here on LE and in my personal life. It is better I think to get into hot glass knowing what the expenses could be and if it something you could do
Old 2015-05-19, 3:21pm

I will strongly agree that a beginner should at least have an understanding of the costs of an initial setup and more to come. And needs to decide whether it is worth investing money and time in a hobby that probably will never be a profession or an occupation bringing additional income. That's true. Art glass is not for very limited income, that's true as well.

At the same time I see here a lot of very beatifull things made on HH. And I do understand that there was a huge amount of work behind, but this cheap and simple tool in the proper hands does the amasing job (ok, not the torch but the artist). And I do respect how limited resourses are squeezed.

So, I'd even add to the costs already mentioned the hard work behind, lots of wasted glass, disappointment, burns, problems with equipment and al this stuff that is usually considered to be immaterial, invisible but it exists anyway.

But at the same time I remember my very first SG thing made of glass grinded by hand in a bowl of water... Tools came later
Old 2015-05-23, 6:35am
kinda torching....

Oh god, I wouldn't be surprised to find out I've invested well over 5+K lol but as others had said already, its an investment! In business and my mental health! Lol

Old 2015-05-23, 5:50pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post

So, I'd even add to the costs already mentioned the hard work behind, lots of wasted glass, disappointment, burns, problems with equipment and al this stuff that is usually considered to be immaterial, invisible but it exists anyway.
Ahhhh, I remember it well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamilton117 View Post
Oh god, I wouldn't be surprised to find out I've invested well over 5+K lol but as others had said already, its an investment! In business and my mental health! Lol
It IS scary and surprising when you start adding it up. This is the most expensive hobby craft I have EVER done !
Old 2015-05-24, 5:48am
kinda torching....

My torch is def the most expensive single purchase I have ever made! My custom mirage is my baby tho lol

Old 2017-10-15, 3:33pm
Salt Box Beads

Yeah, I hear you, we get very selective after a few rounds of torch and kiln musical chairs...LOL

*Bump* For the newbies.

Don't let the $$$ scare you off, just do a little at a time, and visit the tips, and techniques forum and learn about homemade tools and some of the tutorials are for tools and not how to make beads. You can save a lot of money this way.
Old 2021-06-20, 8:43am
Salt Box Beads

Default Time to bump for the newbies out there

It has been awhile so I want to bump this thread. Newbies can do a beginner set up on the cheap and still be safe. You can make a mailbox kiln, you can even make a torch! There are posts here on LE for those.

Glass is more affordable now with Devardiglass.com as an entry level supply company ( one of my favorites) with teaching video clips and everything you could need. Also be sure to visit the homemade DIY threads here on LE.
Lots of money saving tips there. LE is has a mega ton of info. You can and should spend hours here if you are seriously considering Lampworking.

The torch, Kiln and fresh air systems are still the main costs. Glass and tools next and then for me the BIG $ item was a Tuff Shed Studio. About $5000 completed.

But you can refurb an old horse trailer, rv, school bus or van, an old shed or green house etc.

I started in the garage with a large fan and fiber blankets making small beads. It worked for about a month, then I went to a horse trailer and then finally my shed. Sounds quick and easy but it took years!

All that being said it can be very expensive, can be extremely dangerous and you must always put your health and safety first.
Old 2021-06-26, 4:08am

BF collects comic books, except when he's collecting coins, cookie jars, football jerseys, movie posters, cats, hats, and Hawaiian shirts. He would like to collect classic cars, but he'd have to sell some comics for that!
Old 2021-06-28, 9:22am
Always aspiring…

Expense shall remain my deep dark secret. I started as a fused glass artist many years ago…torch work was just going to be a complement to add extra interest to my fused glass work. Now I have taken over two rooms and the garage between fusing and torching. And with COVID I didn’t make a penny last year.