Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-10-17, 8:17am

Default Working with Amber

I strung a necklace using amber chips and some of my lampwork beads. It looks smashing however, recently I read that amber breaks down and cracks after several year. The necklace was to be included in an upcoming Xmas sale but, I don't want to put it out there if this is the case.
If you've had any experience using amber in jewelry I'd really appreciate hearing any advice you may have about using it.
Thanks,
Lynne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-10-17, 9:33am
Slogan Challenged...

According to this article, 2 years if cared for, but might be referring to the "healing" properties? https://www.ambersos.com/your-questions-answered.html

This article states that if properly cared for, amber could last forever. Amber can be brittle and the beads may eventually break, but with proper care, it could last years. The surface of the beads often tend to get coated with soap scum and other substances that inhibit their ability to release succinic acid into your skin. If you suspect it’s no longer working and you’ve already tried cleaning it, it may be time for a new one.
http://www.crunchymomlife.com/faq--testing-amber.html

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2017-10-17, 10:08am

Lynne, I've had two lovely amber bead necklaces for at least 20 years and they are as pretty as the day I bought them. I do treat them gently, but nothing special...kinda like my pearls.
Old 2017-10-17, 1:41pm

Thanks for replying Kristin, I looked at the ambersos site yesterday. the other site is new to me.
Carolyn, it's good to hear that with care your amber necklaces are still pretty.
I think I'll put the necklace out there for purchase however, I will tell prospective customers that it needs to be treated gently. Thank-you for answering my question.

Old 2017-10-17, 10:39pm
Naysayer

No, longer than two years, try forever, I think that is for the healing, some believe it works for inflammation. I have very old rings and bracelets, like cabs, since I used to collect. I don't treat them any differently, although I should because it scratches. A ring I wore daily for years, about a penny sized cab, it took years to get a scratch though.

All I was ever told was it could break as it's not the hardest of stones. And to keep lotions, oils, hairspray etc away from it.

What about those that collect specimens, some of those have been in hands for who knows how long, i don't think it breaks down that easily, it is thousands and thousands (millions) of years old and is fossilized.
Old 2017-10-18, 7:59am

Yeah, Amber is a very soft "stone" (actually petrified tree sap and not a "gem" at all) so it can chip and scratch if it's not taken care of, or if it's strung with a harder material digging into it I could see that causing damage over time as it keeps getting ground into.
Old 2017-10-18, 8:44am

Thanks for the good info Ravenesque, and Beatrix.

Old 2017-10-18, 11:20pm
Naysayer

It is considered a gem, so you can state that it is when using it in your jewelry if you wanted.

Here is a lot of info that won't sway towards it lasting a couple of years trying to get you to buy more
https://www.gemsociety.org/article/a...e-information/

Now I need to go amber shopping!