Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-12-16, 1:58pm
Unmedicated since '62

Default StashMaster Glass Database

Just a note to start with...

Creating this program was a labour of love for me, I did it because firstly i needed the information and secondly I could see a need in the glass community for a program that would allow us to track the huge piles of glass we seem to collect.
I've distributed it for free as a way of paying back the community for all the help I’ve received, to date 1000s of copies have been downloaded or sent directly by me, over 600 in the first version alone, a lot of people have kindly paid me for the software and I really appreciate that, I didn’t expect or ask to be paid but it helps fund my glass addiction.
But, I’m not inclined to distribute the source files, while the data is free to anybody who wants to go look for it, it took me the best part of a year to collect, sort and "clean" the data, as well as creating the interface that lets you easily utilise it. I’m in the process of creating a paid version with a lot more features and I’d like to be able to sell that outside of LE to the greater glass community.
So I would really appreciate it if you wouldn’t use the info that I’ve provided in the database to… well, do exactly what I’m trying to do, like any tutorial created by your fellow glass bead makers, I’m asking that you don’t reproduce or distribute any of the info that I’ve put together in this free version.

Thank you

So, you ask, what the hell is StashMaster?

StashMaster is a Microsoft Access database application that lets you organise your glass, it evolved from a need to be able to print labels for my glass rods.
  • StashMaster comes pre loaded with every available glass I could find, every manufacturer, colour and Coe
  • It lets you keep track of all your glass - rods, frit, powders, sheet, etc – so you can simply have a list of all the glass you have without listing quantities or weights etc
  • Additionally, it lets you track quantities by any unit of measure you choose and you can mix the UOM, so you can keep glass from one manufacture in pounds, while you keep another by rod or oz or bag etc
  • You can create a list of labels; export the information to a spreadsheet (Excel), using that you can then print labels in any format or label size you choose. (see separate instructions for label printing)
  • You can create and print wish lists to help you place orders with suppliers
  • You can keep track of issues, problems, techniques and experiments via the comments and torch notes sections
  • You can tag any glass with an unlimited number of attributes – i.e. silver, striking, opalino etc. The database already contains more than twenty different attributes but you can create more as you come across new ones.
  • You can upload up to 12 images – these can be anything you choose, pictures downloaded from suppliers, images of your own beads or paddle shots
  • You can add new glass colours as they become available, you can also add new manufacturers, COEs, glass types, attributes, UOM.
  • You can delete colours you don’t use or you’ve duplicated
  • You can export lists to Microsoft Excel of all the information in the database so you can then use the data for costing or other programs
  • Best of all, even if you are totally disorganised like me, you can give the impression that you truly have it all together because goddammit – you have a database!

update - due to overwhelming requests (well at least three people) - i've added a batch tracking feature

StashMaster 1.3 now available to download here

Update

Kathy from CiM has kindly provided me with a full file of JPG images of all the CiM colour paddles.

you can download them here, (go down to post 396) i've divided them into colour groups to reduce the size of the file

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2012-10-16 at 3:54pm. Reason: new version
Old 2010-12-16, 1:59pm
Unmedicated since '62

first main question i'm getting is how to set up labels. i'll go into more detail but for starters here is the MS instructions for how to print labels via mail merge

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294684

when you put a number in the labels field in "Add to or change my Stash" form and save the record, this collects in a table for later use.
when you export to excel it creates a spreadsheet that automatically has multiples based on the numbers you input - you dont need to adjust the label numbers or fiddle with the spreadsheet at all - you may want to add a date field so you can print that on your labels but thats up to you.

create labels as per the link above and use the spreadsheet as your data source when prompted, arrange your labels as you like and print.

when you're finished, make sure you clear the labels by clicking the "Clear Label Print List" button or they will be duplicated the next time

Last edited by PerfectDeb; 2010-12-16 at 2:56pm.
Old 2010-12-16, 2:26pm
Unmedicated since '62

when you select glass in the "Add to or change my Stash" form, make sure you tick the boxes you want and save. if you want to take glass out you have to do the same thing but untick the boxes. you cant untick the boxes from the "My Glass" list because its just a report

Old 2010-12-16, 4:10pm
Unmedicated since '62

i really expected more questions...

should i take this as a positive?

Old 2010-12-16, 4:29pm
GlassDocNC

A massive thank you from me!
Old 2010-12-16, 4:40pm
Bead Obsessed

I can't play with it here at work but plan to really dive into it this weekend. It's amazing how much thought and work you put into this to give it to everyone for free! What a generous heart you have.

Old 2010-12-16, 4:50pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
i'm moving this to here so i can answer questions in one place.

***clarifying again cos three people just emailed me, i'm not taking money for this - download, enjoy, get organised***

you can now download the database from this link

http://www2.lampworketc.com/members/...hMaster1.2.zip

this is the read me file
As an alternate form of thank you, I did ask her to pick a color. She said "always green". If that helps anyone with little gifty ideas

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2010-12-16, 4:54pm
Unmedicated since '62

thanks

every significant thing i own is green - car, iphone, linen...

Old 2010-12-16, 5:31pm
Superkitty

Deb, when I open the program, I get this. When I click on the "More Information" link I get nothing. Anyone else get this?
Old 2010-12-16, 5:33pm
Karen James

Deb, I have MS Access 2007. Do you know if anyone is running Access 2010 Runtime & Access 2007 on the same machine without a problem? I know previous versions have had issues so I thought I would ask since I know you did some testing.

Thanks

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-12-16, 5:37pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Deb, when I open the program, I get this. When I click on the "More Information" link I get nothing. Anyone else get this?
this is because the database has macros in it, its just a warning. you have to enable the macros or it wont work

Old 2010-12-16, 5:39pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJames View Post
Deb, I have MS Access 2007. Do you know if anyone is running Access 2010 Runtime & Access 2007 on the same machine without a problem? I know previous versions have had issues so I thought I would ask since I know you did some testing.

Thanks
i'm not sure, i tried to find some info about just that issue but there was nothing i could find on MS that said anything either way

do a backup just in case

Old 2010-12-16, 5:45pm

Quote:
i'm not sure, i tried to find some info about just that issue but there was nothing i could find on MS that said anything either way

do a backup just in case
I'm running Access 2000 and Open Office on my computer and its working just fine.
donna
Old 2010-12-16, 5:48pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmountainglass View Post
I'm running Access 2000 and Open Office on my computer and its working just fine.
donna
really!!! are all the forms working ok?

Old 2010-12-16, 5:51pm
Karen James

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmountainglass View Post
donna
Do you mean Runtime is running fine? If so, thank you for the answer!

Karen

Old 2010-12-16, 5:58pm
Superkitty

Thanks for the explaination, Deb. I'll stop worrying! lol!
Old 2010-12-16, 5:59pm

Quote:
this is because the database has macros in it, its just a warning. you have to enable the macros or it wont work
Deb if she is using Open Office instead of Access she just needs to only click ok for it to open and run. I also think that the macros are automatic on Open Office because when I open it the program blinks like it does in
Access when you enable the macros. Does this make since? I hope so I have my quto of coffee today
Old 2010-12-16, 6:01pm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJames View Post
Do you mean Runtime is running fine? If so, thank you for the answer!

Yes if you have runtime downloaded it will automaticly open in it or it does on my computer.
Old 2010-12-16, 6:05pm
Glass & Parrots = Heaven

Hi Deb,
How do I remove a glass entry?

BTW thanks for all your hard work!

Best Bud Cosmo - Eclectus Parrot
Old 2010-12-16, 6:11pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpmd04 View Post
Hi Deb,
How do I remove a glass entry?

BTW thanks for all your hard work!
just go back and search that glass again and uncheck the boxes then save

Old 2010-12-16, 6:18pm

Quote:
really!!! are all the forms working ok?
They all seem to working great. I've added glass, I've removed glass, I've prined lables, I haven't added pics yet but will try and do that tonight.

Edited: I just added a picture and it works! whooot whoot.

Last edited by ironmountainglass; 2010-12-16 at 6:26pm.
Old 2010-12-16, 7:44pm
Glass & Parrots = Heaven

Quote:
just go back and search that glass again and uncheck the boxes then save
Thanks for the quick reply...should have known it would be so easy

Best Bud Cosmo - Eclectus Parrot
Old 2010-12-16, 8:29pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

I had to download the Runtime 2010 but then it worked right away and all functions I've tried are working.
Old 2010-12-16, 8:49pm

Thanks so much for this and all the work you have put into it.Happy Holidays!
Penny
Old 2010-12-16, 9:55pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
I had to download the Runtime 2010 but then it worked right away and all functions I've tried are working.
great!

so far its only the mac peeps who cant use it

sorry guys

Old 2010-12-16, 10:50pm
Ishum Designs

Wow! And thank you! Haven't really started using this yet (just installed Access Runtime and opened it), but I am awed and grateful. Especially for folks that are trying to run a business, this is a great inventory tool (or at least looks like it). Really looking forward to organizing my stash!
Old 2010-12-16, 11:46pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolrex View Post
Wow! And thank you! Haven't really started using this yet (just installed Access Runtime and opened it), but I am awed and grateful. Especially for folks that are trying to run a business, this is a great inventory tool (or at least looks like it). Really looking forward to organizing my stash!
it wont keep track of inventory, but it could easily be modified to do so. you would need to have the full version of Access to be able to modify it and that would cost you about $200 - if you want to do that email me and we'll work something out

Old 2010-12-17, 5:34am
Angie09

Quote:

so far its only the mac peeps who cant use it

sorry guys
OH THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG!!! I figured it was just me .... BUMMER!!!
Old 2010-12-17, 6:39am
Karen James

Okay, MS Runtime 2010 and Access 2007 will not live peacefully on Windows 7. Not a problem though! Here is the deal. Using Access 2007, I exported all of the tables, forms, queries, etc...to a new database. The only form that would not come through was the Home form. Deb, you gave a sneak peek of that in the other thread. So, I knew that one of the forms you used to create it. However, there seems to be another form under that...My glass. Could you give me a screen print of that or tell me which form that is? Then I can just replicate the Home form and be good to go.

Thank you! This database is awesome!

Karen

Old 2010-12-17, 11:04am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I have followed these StashMaster threads since its beginning. I have some first hand knowledge of software writing even if at the amatuer level. I was an initial tester of the database and it is obvious how much work went into this thing. I also know there will be support work needed on a continuing basis; bug fixes, new features, questions. It's like having a child you have to keep nurturing.

Debbie has refused to charge for this effort and I think that that is very kind and generous of her. BUT I strongly believe she should get something for her time, knowledge, effort, and kindness. She may not approve but I am suggesting we all send her a donation of at least $10.00. It isn't that much individually but may help her with Christmas or whatever. Maybe some suntan lotion for the Christmas Holidays down under

I don't know how PayPal works exactly and I only see an Etsy account so if anyone out there knows how this can be done please post it and I will be the first to send a donation. Lets support our friend for all her good work.

PJH

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-12-17 at 11:07am.