AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Who do you think is the BEST glass vendor?
Arrow Springs 213 19.02%
CR & Loo, Inc 17 1.52%
Frantz Art Glass 421 37.59%
Howaco Glass 147 13.13%
islandglass!!! 88 7.86%
Jo-Del Glass 47 4.20%
LBSupplies 113 10.09%
Moretti and More 208 18.57%
Sundance Art Glass 38 3.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-11-13, 8:51am
ManBearPig

The three I buy from aren't on there.

Art Glass House
Mountain Glass Arts
ABR Imagery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
•
•
•
Old 2006-11-13, 8:54am

Mine aren't listed.

Lampworksupplies.com baby! They rock. Centrally located, good selection of Moretti some Vetrofond and I think two brands of boro. (edit: I'm embarassed at my ignorance. I just wandered over there and there were like 6 brands or categories of boro.) I do most all my business there.

GGglass is the next on my list for service and I can't wait to have some of her cane.

Now that I've wandered over there wondering if I was right about the boro I see they are having a Moretti sale. And I thought I'd only spend a little there on my trip to town tomorrow.

Last edited by Just Nancy; 2006-11-13 at 11:56am.
Old 2006-11-13, 9:04am

I've found JameyLynn @ howaco to be very competitively priced as far as her glass if you're buying in quantity...if she had odd lots I'd never shop anywhere else either!! & her shipping is absolutely the BEST!!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-11-13, 9:15am

morretti and more......... fast, friendly, very very helpful and great selection!!!!!!

Old 2006-11-13, 9:56am

AGH and Hoy are wholesale only...
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-11-13, 10:12am

Frantz. I call them, they are nice, stuff arrives as promised and in good condition. Bought a tool one time, it was bad, it was replaced. Replacement was no good so I called and told them, thought there might be something wrong with that shipment. Figured that was the last about it and when I next placed my order when the invoice arrived I found that they had credited my account for the tool! They did not have to do that, they just did and it made me a very loyal customer! I also like my glass cut in a different size than most and they accomodate me every time, no problem.
Old 2006-11-13, 10:31am
Keep My Flame Burning

http://www.generationsglass.com/ IS the BEST place for me. They are not on the poll, but they are so very helpful.

Live everday like it is your last and regret is a word you will never use.
Old 2006-11-13, 11:23am
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
Islandglass and Moretti and More are the same person - Bill and Donelle Thorton.

One of my faves, Galaxy Glass, isn't on the poll.
I did see if I could add these two poll results together, but I don't have that option.

Polls on LE will only allow for a certain amount of choices.

CANDY
I can add a few more, and change the number of Moretti and More, and Delete Islandglass or the other way around, to the correct number chosen. If you want me to just PM me.

Old 2006-11-13, 11:45am
Fascinated by Fire

Hands down...Flametree Glass!!! They are the BEST!!!
Old 2006-11-13, 11:56am

Edited: NEVERMIND... I just got my tooth pulled and wasn't totally paying attention to the fact that someone already said they're the same.

Hey! Islandglass and Moretti & More are the same people. So how come islandglass only has half the votes? lol! That's funny.

Evolution is only a theory, just like, um, gravity.

SAVE THE CHEERLEADER, SAVE THE WORLD!

Last edited by Palestrina; 2006-11-13 at 11:58am.
Old 2006-11-13, 12:35pm
Himalayan Fanatic

I have ordered many times from Bill & Donelle-Moretti & More, Islandglass!!!and they are the best. My other fav on this list is Arrowsprings. Never had a problem with them either. Both have excellent customer service and packaging/shipping.

I have had 2 minor problems with the 2 lowest scoring sellers on this list. One was when I first started and ordered one rod each of about 20 different colors. NONE of them were labeled. Not a single rod. The other seller sent me some glass with 2 rods longer than the rest and they broke at the ends. Not really a big deal, but I didn't want the frit! hahaha

Pam
Old 2006-11-13, 1:36pm
Crazy Snake Lady

This is a difficult one for me. I've had great experiences with all of them.
Old 2006-11-13, 2:14pm
BHB's- big honkin' beads!

After all these years I've had dealings with almost all of them. But I've got to go with Mikey at Frantz Art Glass. We just go waaaaaay back, and they've always been damn good to me. Plus I'm a distributor with them... what can I say. Arrowsprings is a close second. And you CAN"T go wrong with Bill & Donelle-Moretti & More, Islandglass. There are a lot a wonderful people in the flameworking supply business!!!!!!

Cheers Larry

Website is back up!!! Yipee!!!

Last edited by larrybrickman; 2006-11-13 at 2:17pm. Reason: Addition of info
Old 2006-11-13, 2:40pm
bringin' basic back

I Howaco, but for my big orders I have to go w/Frantz. I love the quantity discount & how it's always a surprise when you order online (yes, the site sucks.....). I usually order $300-$400 at a time from them, once or twice a year and I've NEVER had a problem. And as long as I'm willing to pay for ups 3 day it comes fast---not their fault I live waaaaaaaaaay over here

...the sparks are gonna fly...
Old 2006-11-13, 2:46pm
the Evil One

JamieLynn at Howaco is wonderful!
Sandra

Old 2006-11-13, 2:59pm
phrit phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynT View Post
Hands down...Flametree Glass!!! They are the BEST!!!

Oh yeah...I forgot I ordered from them too! VERY helpful on the phone and fast shipping...
xoxo
lori

Old 2006-11-13, 3:57pm

LBsupply. Jon is the greatest and I love dealing with him. He is so helpful and alwase has free glass. Drawings for $100 worth or more worth of glass. I havent ordered glass anywhere else as I stay broke and cant buy alot yet.But Jon is great to deal with.
Old 2006-11-13, 4:10pm

I ordered a torch cleaner from Arrow Springs. It didnt work and they replaced it pronto. No questions. Good experance.
Old 2006-11-13, 5:23pm

It's LBSupplys for me! Their sales and incentives are terrific and customer service supurb(sp?). John and Renate have both been very helpful and put up with a lot of dumb questions from me (and I regularly add to my order after I press the send button). Jon even gave me a tutorial on how to do a southwestern bead over the phone! I usually get my glass within a few days even though I live out here in the middle of nowhere!

I've ordered some from Frantz too and they've always been very helpful. On my last order my cell phone wouldn't accept their call and they even worked out correspondence on email for me! I do find their website a bit confusing but the selection is good.
Old 2006-11-13, 5:27pm
Boro Brat

If only Jamey at Howaco would get some boro, I'd LOVE to order from her again!! She was wonderful with my newbie questions and single-rod orders when I started (even though I changed my first order about 3 times) and she's always so friendly...it's like she never forgets a single customer!! Not to mention her prices are AWESOME!!! Nothing but good things to say about her

Old 2006-11-13, 5:33pm

I've never had a bad experience with any of the vendors either and you left out three very important and excellent ones...Val Cox, Galaxy Glass and Glassdaddy!!!

Old 2006-11-13, 8:22pm

Double Helix has great service too.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-11-13, 8:32pm

Can't pick just one I like,I've ordered from LB,Some of the glass was broken and Jon replaced more than he had to,can't beat that for customer service.Moretti and more are just geat and fast shippers.Just ordered from Howaco she has great communication.Wale was my first supplier,I like them all.Jo Del has the most awesome supply of glass,I wish I was rich I would order from all of them every day,what a great dream that is.Then if I was rich maybe I could quit my real job and torch myself into insanity but that's another thread,sorry,just thinking about all that glass makes me giddy.
Mary
Old 2006-11-13, 10:23pm
Corgi Cult Member

Don't think I could pick just one. I feel most of the suppliers are very good. Who gets my business each time depends on what my order is. I would hate to use just one because I think it is important to pass the business around. It is great that we have very large suppliers and smaller more personal ones. Each is important to the lampworking world.
Kathy

Old 2006-11-14, 4:50am
Nah, not really...;)

Mine isn't listed, Mountain Glass Arts. www.mountainglassarts.com

I will never order from Frantz's website again, unless they change it. That site is the most user UNfriendly I've evah seen. Search is useless...IMO.

Old 2006-11-14, 7:57am
Butterfly Rancher

I've only had great experiences with everyone that I've ordered from: Frantz, ArrowSprings, Howaco, JoDel, ABR Imagery, Flametree -- and not on the list: Glass Diversions, Zooziis, Lauscha Lady -- I'm sure I've missed someone!

My most recent order was with Howaco and, if the Lauscha rumor proves true, they'll probably get most of my future orders. I don't usually like to make phone orders; however, it was like chatting with a good friend and being only one time zone away, it was easy to schedule into my life. I also like that Howaco is interested in the Hobbyist -- it was great to be able to try out all the various metal leaves (silver, copper, palladium & gold) for just $4.00! Shipping was fast and fairly priced.

Glass Diversions gets my vote for the best website in the business -- graphically pleasing, easy to navigate and lets me know if I've ordered something that is out of stock. Plus the shipping is incredibly fast!

As someone said earlier, I usually need (or want) something in particular and that oftentimes decides who I'm ordering from. If more than one person has the item (like last time I ordered, I needed mandrels) then I browse the website looking for other goodies (I can't just order one thing -- can I?) and compile a list for each vendor that I'm considering. So website ease of use is very high on my list. ArrowSprings and Jo-Del also make it easy to find items that are new to their sites which I might not have been considering but will tickle my fancy. Then I consider things like ease of ordering. I find it tough to phone the West Coast -- the time difference doesn't fit easily into my east coast schedule. Shipping also takes more time and is more expensive from the West Coast to the East. So Frantz and ArrowSprings are rarely at the top of my list. Jo-Del has gotten a lot of my business because I can order at 2:00 am EST. (I like to shop when I can't sleep). I also like that she lists what is in stock and what's not.

Anyway, from my experience, glass folks are nice people to do business with!
Old 2006-11-14, 8:58am
Custom Bead Maker

Let me first say that I have not run into any bad glass suppliers. My all time favorite is Jon and Renate from LB Supplys They go the extra step to give great customer service! Who doesn't like a supplier who, when his fees dropped, passes on the savings to his customers with lower glass prices and lots of free glass? And since Jon's distributer is Frantz I am supporting my second favorite supplier too!
Aloha, Chris

Old 2006-11-14, 9:24am
i burnt my wookiee

Jamey at Howaco!!! Gotta love the hometown gal!! I wanted a 1/2lb of each color Uro makes (and a bumload of other goodies) and told her I wanted to pick it up and she said "Come on over!" Had it all expertly packed in a jiffy and all in stock! Perfect!
Old 2006-11-14, 9:31am
Glass-A-Holic ^..^

I am not flaming any of the big companies here, so please no getting me wrong! They are just always out of what I want! Also whenever I have a backorder (no names here) it never gets sent. There is no way they are still waiting for the glass either because it has been a year and a half now and it was only clear I wanted!

Hey where is bridgetown glass on this poll ?????????? They are one of my favorites too!

Alaina

Old 2006-11-14, 3:52pm

I started out with Frantz over five years ago. They were so helpful when I wanted to dive in and start flameworking when I didn't know a soul who flameworked with only Cindy Jenkin's book as a reference. I have had great experiences with all of the smaller business that I have ordered from here and there... but Frantz is still consistently my favorite.

Amy