Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: How many soft glass colors do you have???
1-20 32 5.62%
21-40 67 11.78%
41-60 71 12.48%
61-80 60 10.54%
81-100 80 14.06%
101-120 43 7.56%
121-140 34 5.98%
141-160 28 4.92%
161-180 21 3.69%
180+ 133 23.37%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-12-01, 7:43am
I've got goodies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlydetails View Post
Shawnette, you're just showing off! I confess I've stayed pretty basic -- most of my stash is Moretti, but there's also some Vetrofond and Lauscha, and a tiny bit of Gaffer and Reichenbach, plus some clear I can't even remember the name or COE that I thought would be great for frit and I hate it. System 96 maybe.
Lol! Nope, I'm just your typical hoarder turned glass ho. Problem is, I've only been doing this for 1.5 years. I don't even want to think about how much I'll have after 5 or 10 years. I need to hit the lottery so I can get a bigger space (and more glass).

(I'm not even going to mention the mountain of unused presses that I keep adding to...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-01, 8:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassgoodies View Post
Lol! Nope, I'm just your typical hoarder turned glass ho. Problem is, I've only been doing this for 1.5 years. I don't even want to think about how much I'll have after 5 or 10 years. I need to hit the lottery so I can get a bigger space (and more glass).

(I'm not even going to mention the mountain of unused presses that I keep adding to...)
I understand the hoarder turned glass ho thing. have you yet found yourself tempted to save glass items that broke because you like the color and figure "why not, my torch will handle it and I can always use it for unussual spacers" Or even thinking of buying something because you like the color of the bottle it comes in and figure if it isn't compatable with boro it'll also become spacers?

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.
Old 2006-12-01, 8:30am
StudioMarcy

I've got lots and besides the regulars, I have some odd Russian soft glass to add to the mix. Different cool colors, but more to count! I'm going to estimate the top bracket, but not sure.
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2006-12-01, 7:20pm

Hmm...planning my map on who I want to visit first
I don't know how many colors I officially have...my glass is all in a tote & not really easy to "count"...probably 50 colors that I've got a quarter pound or more of? across 3 COE's? if I skip all the single rod samples I've got that is...
oh & at least 5 or 6 of those "colors" are 420 moretti coral (yeah..I have a problem)

I think I've got 4 shades of Bullseye that I have a quarter pound each of (& then a bunch of single rods)

And then a couple colors of Jess's vintage 96coe stuff in quarter pounds & the rest in her assorted "leftovers" packs....

just don't ask me to count all the single color sample sticks I've got...omg...I can't even imagine--half of them I'm afraid to melt 'cause I might not be able to get more !! (strips of stained glass, odds, shorts I've scrounged...raogks I've been blessed with...there's a lot of singles!!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-12-01, 8:19pm
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Barbara, you have a spreadsheet for your glass?! And I thought I was anal! I've got to ask, does your spreadsheet detail the number of rods, or just the colors? If you say it includes the number of rods, you need help! LOL!!!
I DO have an excuse... I use the spreadsheet for my inventory. I have a "starting amount" (weight) for the beginning of the year. As I buy glass, the color, date, amt paid, and weight gets logged in. At the end of the year I weigh it all again. Then I know how much I used (for tax purposes) at the end of the year. And my ending weight becomes my new start weight.
Old 2006-12-01, 8:24pm

I -LOVE- buying the "going out of beads" deals. I enjoy working my way through the bundles and seeing colors, and sometimes finding different ones I hadn't "met" before. (Not that I'd use them... It seems like if I have less than 1/4# of a color, it sits there and looks pretty if it's not a basic one I'm running low on.)

And yeah... my copper green stringers from Jon turned into a $100+ order. Why? Well, I -had- to get free shipping, so I just added a few things... Like a pound of odd vetro that I didn't realized until I got it upstairs that I already had 1/4 pound of... But that means I can use it now.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2006-12-01, 8:27pm
Covered in glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
ROFL!!! I feel your pain! I have lots of shades of yellow and orange. Do I use yellow and orange? No. But I have a lot of it. I helps me to sleep at night knowing that if I EVER need yellow and orange, I will have it. There is probably a name for this particular illness.

Kimberly, I think it's 'glass ho.' LOL!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2006-12-01, 9:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
I -LOVE- buying the "going out of beads" deals. I enjoy working my way through the bundles and seeing colors, and sometimes finding different ones I hadn't "met" before. (Not that I'd use them... It seems like if I have less than 1/4# of a color, it sits there and looks pretty if it's not a basic one I'm running low on.)

And yeah... my copper green stringers from Jon turned into a $100+ order. Why? Well, I -had- to get free shipping, so I just added a few things... Like a pound of odd vetro that I didn't realized until I got it upstairs that I already had 1/4 pound of... But that means I can use it now.
I know there are plenty of other people who use my buying modle, and just don't want to admitt it. They're afraid we'll start a support group or something and they won't end up filling every cubic inch of their houses with glass and having to sleep in the garage...

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.
Old 2006-12-01, 9:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I know there are plenty of other people who use my buying modle, and just don't want to admitt it. They're afraid we'll start a support group or something and they won't end up filling every cubic inch of their houses with glass and having to sleep in the garage...
My buying model involves just buying a lot... And I don't see a problem with it. (My accountant, bless him, told me to find more expenses...)

I can't sleep in the garage. Brian has the same theory on tools that I do on glass - it's packed.

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2006-12-01, 10:15pm
Fire Nymph

Not Nearly Enough.
Old 2006-12-01, 10:54pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassSets View Post
Not Nearly Enough.
You should ask for more colors for the Holidays.

Old 2006-12-02, 12:20pm
The Crazy One

Ahhhhh Crap!!!! I counted my colors of moretti and gustimated on those 2 slots that have "friend rods." You know, the stuff friends send ya a couple of rods of... I thought I was doing OK and had TOO MANY colors. Then Kimberly mentioned kinds of glass..... I didn't count my boro!!! Not gonna count them either too many unmarked rods!

Egads What is wrong with me? I do not like odd lot glass, I rarely buy "expensive" glass. Have I slipped into this glass ho vortex, I certainly hope not! But this odd orange that burns yellow, needs more exploring....
Old 2006-12-02, 5:26pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I have only 135 diffrent colors I guess I need to figure out what I am missing LOL.

Tracy
Old 2006-12-03, 2:30pm
Sheila

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post

OMG Nikki, me too. I totally panic every time I go to use something scarce because I might end up with an ugly bead. Or I might see the perfect way to use that precious color later, when I've used it all up.

I have eight pounds (!!) of the peach persimmon coral, because I love it and I ordered a pound (or more) with every order until it was gone. I also have excessive poundage of other odd lots.

But I only have one pound of the Vetrofond slate blue odd lot. Why? Because I controlled myself. That will teach me. Anyone wanna trade for some coral?
Old 2006-12-06, 9:32am

Well we must be triplets (referencing Kimberly's earlier post). And I signed up at Glasscraft for their "club" so I could get the big discount no matter how small the order. <rubs hands with glee> Now I can get ALL the Bullseye colors I'm missing. mwahahahaha

Oh, not counting clear I have upwards of 140+. I see I'm lagging behind a few people. where's my credit card????

Last edited by DarleenMB; 2006-12-06 at 9:35am.
Old 2006-12-06, 2:40pm

<sigh> I many have to back off on buying for a while. I dread having to miss any odd lots. I know if I just stappoed at a pound of the odd lot I'd be fine but I know I won't. realistically speaking I know that. I always say I will and as of yet always went way over.

BTW- any one know of a conveinient safe way to move a glass studio to another state? should I even try to move the vent system? packing all that glass!! UGH.

Old 2006-12-11, 3:32pm
Ezzy

I have only 75 colors and I don't have nearly anywhere near enough!
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2006-12-29, 6:00pm
awash in seed beads 4 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Barbara, you have a spreadsheet for your glass?! And I thought I was anal! I've got to ask, does your spreadsheet detail the number of rods, or just the colors? If you say it includes the number of rods, you need help! LOL!!!
I'm not Barb, but I have all my stuff on a spreadsheet, too, including history of per pound price. You have to understand, I was a logistics analyst in my real life, and being able to answer the how much, when, how many, (why isn't a proper question) is in my blood. I also have my whole house inventory on a spreadsheet. So, the question could be, "How many sheets do you have on your spreadsheet?" and I could answer in about 4 ways. Anal? Yes!
Old 2006-12-29, 6:32pm
Trying to Hope!

wow everyone of you needs to adopt me I have 18 colors total *sigh* and about 15 single rods people as wonderfull as all of you have sent me I have a huge 80 compartment glass storage shelf however not even 25 percent full

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2006-12-29, 6:45pm

for sure not enough of what I need when I need it...and since there are so many new types of glass these days...I guess I will be behind for quite a while!

Beads galore at my ebay store!

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2006-12-29, 7:08pm
Trying to Hope!

hehe I know what my resolution is now its to buy enough glass to fill my storage system the nice thing is I can always add pve tothe storage system to add compartments inside of compartments I have a pic of it in the studio thread

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

Old 2007-11-18, 11:26pm

Ok, sooooo...someone voted & dragged this thread forward...a year later....so.....how many colors does everyone have NOW????
(I'm guessing I'm up to 70 on quarter pounds--I've gotten a few gifted to me & bought a few--but the past year hasn't had a lot of buying going on for me--it's been mostly gifts of singles rods--and they didn't count for the survey--if I get a bonus this next year it's gonna be one heck of a glass splurge to catch up on my "needs", rofl!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-11-19, 7:21am

I had no idea I had that many.. I have never actually counted them before.. Don't tell my DH..

Old 2007-11-19, 10:31am
Ghost Town Glass

Um, no choice that says all of them?

LOL, I don't have them all, but a couple of people I know might...

OMG, I got curious so when and counted. I have over 200. That is a shock!

Last edited by Janine; 2007-11-19 at 10:35am. Reason: actually counted
Old 2007-11-19, 12:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
oh I can answer that one. At least how it works for me... You use the same colors because you like them. You have so many others because when you get nervous about being down to the last two pounds or so of your favorite color.... or see a sale... or a new odd lot shows up... You figure I might as well order a pound now. Then because you're ordering anyway you decide, well I'll just make that X color I saw. Make that x number of pounds so I'll have plenty if it goes away. then well I'll add a pound of this too, and soon enough you only need another 4 pounds to get to that magic 20lb discount. then what the hell, you're already at the discount you might as well make sure you have plenty of X while you're at it. And didn't you hear that this other color was darker/lighter this time around. better try some of that. better make it three pounds in case I like it and it doesn't come around again. and so it goes untill this months order is over 50 pounds again and you've really only got a couple of pounds you were planning on using. You swear you won't ever do this again and somehow next month it doesn't look like you got that much extra glass... and you did see a new pink you wanted to try....

Admitt it!! I'm not the only one that does this, right?
I am probably in the 180 + range but I am not home to count. However, I am conserative with the amounts I buy because I have had to move my glass twice already - one time across the country.
Old 2007-11-19, 2:34pm

Trouble is that batches differ so there are many colors within the same color, and you don't want to run out of the ones you like......and never met a color I didn't like.......I have a lot and still am protective of startting a new rod. The only color I don't guard is clear and even that varies......
Old 2007-11-24, 3:59am
Puddy Cat Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
I am grateful that boro wasn't included in the poll!!!
If boro was included in the poll I could probably count the colors on one hand. Not that I don't absolutely love boro, I just don't have a big enough torch yet. Soon I hope. I have a sample box of the Northstar colors and some clear rods that I use for puntys.
My soft glass stash is too many to count. I ran out of toes.

J.

Old 2007-11-24, 5:46am

Ok I just happened to stumble across this thread and thought I'd make a quick count. I am officially way past glass ho and seriously think I need help as I have 413 different colors not counting boro and not counting the unmarked bullseye I have laying on my studio floor. And all of that in just about a year and a half. By the time I hit the five year mark I will need a small warehouse just to store my glass!!!!
Old 2007-11-24, 9:53am
Trying to Hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendyki View Post
wow everyone of you needs to adopt me I have 18 colors total *sigh* and about 15 single rods people as wonderfull as all of you have sent me I have a huge 80 compartment glass storage shelf however not even 25 percent full

WOOHOO I finally have over 60 colors what a diffrence a year makes

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

Old 2007-11-24, 2:32pm

My count will have to wait. It is too cold to go out there and count, and I have no shoes on!

Liz