No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-09-16, 11:05am
Oooooh Baby!

Default How do you make Moretti look like Boro

My friend Barbara, from Quincy, MA, just joined LE and is trying to figure out how to post. Until she has time to figure it out, she asked me to post this for her...

How do you make Moretti look like Borosilicate. Both Kate Fowle and Nancy Tobey say you can do it. It think it involves Palladium foils. Anyone know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kaleidoglass; 2005-09-16 at 11:07am.
Old 2005-09-16, 11:17am
<--- Time traveler

You can get boro-ish effects by simply adding a little rubino over silver foil. (Thanks Michael Barley!)

Courtney
Old 2005-09-16, 11:36am

I have used silvered rubino stringer over transparent colors then encased in clear to get a boro look sometimes. It is tricky, though. Too much silver on the stringer goes to mud and not enough silver fades into nothing.
Old 2005-09-16, 8:23pm
PELE

Nancy, there are different ways of doing it and most of them involve either silver (or fuming with silver) or reduction frit of one kind or another. Some frits work really well for this, and one of them is iris gold...

These beads were made by pulling a stringer of Moretti light brown transparent glass that had been rolled in iris gold frit. I laid the stringer on (all squiggly) different bases-- carnelian works really well, and then encased that with clear or pale transparent lavender glass. There is no blue glass in these beads... all that blue comes from light brown glass and iris gold that's been encased.

Andrea Guarino-Slemmons is a master at making moretti look like boro and teaches a class about it!

lynne

Last edited by rightbrainbeads; 2005-09-16 at 8:24pm. Reason: spelling!
Old 2005-09-19, 9:06am
Oooooh Baby!

Wow, those are beautiful!!!

Old 2005-09-22, 3:13pm
It's time to sparkle

Thanks for posting those awesome beads. They get me in the mood to torch instead of make dinner like I'm supposed to do!

Old 2005-09-22, 4:19pm
koregon

There are probably actually a lot of ways that people stumble upon.

my most recent was a light transparent core...rolled in raku 00 size frit, then I layered a couple transparent dots, and encased...to me they have a boro look to them...I made one dinking around and ended up making a while set.
Attached Images

Old 2005-09-22, 4:48pm
needs to light the torch.

The Double Helix glass can look like boro too!

Old 2005-09-23, 8:50am
Brainy McSmartypants

Lynn, those are amazing. I'm going to try that! I love doing the rubino/silver thing, but that... wow. YUMMY.

Amy K

Old 2005-09-23, 9:07am

Kaye,

I LOVE those beads! Those are some of my favorite colors
Old 2005-09-23, 12:11pm
PELE

Amy! I'm so glad to see you here!!

Kaye, those are beautiful! I'd never have guessed R-108...

Nicole, I MUST get some of that Double Helix glass!! Gawd, I'm such a sucker for that wispy boro blue...

lynne

Old 2005-09-27, 8:32am

Default Thank you everyone....

wow! Thanks all, this is exactly what I was looking for. Especially Lyne's example. The beads are beautiful.

What a great forum.

I hope to learn to post on my own one of these days when I spend time on the computer instead of the torch.

Barb
Old 2005-09-27, 9:58am
Oooooh Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara
wow! Thanks all, this is exactly what I was looking for. Especially Lyne's example. The beads are beautiful.

What a great forum.

I hope to learn to post on my own one of these days when I spend time on the computer instead of the torch.

Barb
Hey Barbara, it's about time you showed up here. It's a great forum, lots of nice people here. Let me know if you need me to show you how to post.

Old 2005-09-30, 10:19am

Default Hi Nancy,

HI Nancy,

I could use your help posting when you have time. Any time this weekend would be good, if I know ahead of time and you are free.......

I tried some of the rubino Silvered beads over a striking red base with transparent lavender encasings and over a med blue transparent. Both look great, but still not what I am looking for. I have ordered the Carnelian to try that as a base as Lynne described. I am hoping that will get me where I want to be. Either way, I have learned a lot from this forum.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 2005-09-30, 10:25am
Oooooh Baby!

Hey Barbara,
Give me a call Saturday around 3pm or any time Sunday. Got stuff to tell you!!!

Old 2005-10-05, 6:20am
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightbrainbeads
Andrea Guarino-Slemmons is a master at making moretti look like boro and teaches a class about it!

lynne

Lynne those are gorgeous!! I'm taking Andrea's class in Dec and I can't wait!

Old 2005-10-05, 10:42am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

So...where is the class?? Does she have a website with scheduled classes???? I GOTTA take one soon!!!!

Old 2005-10-05, 10:44am
Detail G-Mama!

Lynn you'll have to come to TX if you want to take the class I'll be in! She is coming down the first weekend of Dec to teach at Blue Moon Glassworks.

Old 2005-10-07, 9:00am

Who knows where I can buy Carnelian and Raku frit?
Old 2005-10-07, 9:06am
<--- Time traveler

Frantz: http://www.frantzartglass.com
Old 2005-10-07, 10:21am
PELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts
Lynne those are gorgeous!! I'm taking Andrea's class in Dec and I can't wait!
Anne, damn, I wish you were coming here so I could meet you!!! No wait, let me give Andrea a call and see if I can bribe her into taking me along!!!

You're gonna love her class... the woman is a master with glass...

Lynn, here's a link to Andrea's website, and there's still one opening in the class at Blue Moon.

lynne

Last edited by rightbrainbeads; 2005-10-07 at 7:15pm. Reason: add link
Old 2005-10-07, 10:35am
Detail G-Mama!

Yeah Lynne! Tell her she needs you to be her TA!! LOL! Maybe I'll be able to make it up there to teach one day!

Old 2005-10-25, 8:56am

Lynne, I tried your method and could not quite get your beautiful effect. I did not have brown and so used light amber to make a stringer. Did you use very fine frit or chuncky kind? Also, did you use reduction flame? I am not sure what was the difference. Any ideas? Thanks, Sachiko
Old 2005-10-25, 9:07am
<--- Time traveler

Sachiko -

I think you need the light brown or maybe straw yellow to get that particular reaction. (It's not just the general color scheme but some particular ingredient in the light brown.) Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Courtney
Old 2005-10-25, 5:47pm
PELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Bead
Lynne, I tried your method and could not quite get your beautiful effect. I did not have brown and so used light amber to make a stringer. Did you use very fine frit or chuncky kind? Also, did you use reduction flame? I am not sure what was the difference. Any ideas? Thanks, Sachiko
Hey Sachiko!

Yeah, it has to be light brown or straw yellow. And I've used everything from powder, to 0, to #1 when it comes to frit size. I don't reduce it-- just really cook it into the light brown glass before you pull the stringer.

lynne

Old 2005-11-03, 10:21am

Hi Lynn: Thanks for your advice. I finally created the effect similar to yours, not exactly, but close. You're right it had to be light brown. You reminded me how much beadmaking is about chemical reactions. Luckily I found the light brown rod in my stash, although I have no idea why I bought them. The striking yellow did not work well for me. Also my problem is dirty Mapp gas which turns carnelian sooty. So, I have to be content with the level of success I got so far. I feel I did my best. Now I have to move on to another obsession. Thanks again, Sachiko
Old 2005-11-03, 12:14pm

Yummy!!

Class did I hear Class? lol
Old 2005-11-03, 12:33pm
PELE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Bead
Also my problem is dirty Mapp gas which turns carnelian sooty.
Sachiko,

It looks really cool on striking red, ink blue and dark green... and... almost any dark transparent. Don't let carnelian stop you! I've been fooling around with it lately, trying different base glasses. One thing I've decided is that #1 frit works best-- the powder bubbles too easily.

lynne

Old 2005-11-03, 8:11pm

I am not sure about my talent, but I have tenacity. So, I guess I will stay a bit longer with this effect creation, especially if I don't have to use carnelian. Will let you know tomorrow about my progress. Thanks Lynne!! from Sachiko
Old 2005-11-04, 12:17am
PELE

LOL, Sachiko! Tenacity is my middle name-- I'm counting on it to take me a long ways!

Here's a bad pic of a few beads that I made night before last. I was very tenacious ( ) and kept trying to make them with powdered iris gold. After about 8 beads I finally had to admit it was the powder that was causing the bubbling. By that time I was about shot, but I made a few more with #1 frit before turning off the torch.

The one on the far left in the top pic has a core of light teal with pale emerald green over that, and then the stringer. It's pretty cool in person. And the one next to it is striking red, which is one of my favs... the one on the far right has a base of light emerald green.

In the bottom pic, the two beads on the left both have a base of striking yellow (must have been the way I was sitting that caused the difference in the way they look ), and then another red one.

lynne