The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-11-04, 5:30am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightbrainbeads
LOL, Sachiko! Tenacity is my middle name-- I'm counting on it to take me a long ways!

Here's a bad pic of a few beads that I made night before last. I was very tenacious ( ) and kept trying to make them with powdered iris gold. After about 8 beads I finally had to admit it was the powder that was causing the bubbling. By that time I was about shot, but I made a few more with #1 frit before turning off the torch.

The one on the far left in the top pic has a core of light teal with pale emerald green over that, and then the stringer. It's pretty cool in person. And the one next to it is striking red, which is one of my favs... the one on the far right has a base of light emerald green.

In the bottom pic, the two beads on the left both have a base of striking yellow (must have been the way I was sitting that caused the difference in the way they look ), and then another red one.

lynne

These are awesome! I can't wait to try this, but I don't have any 018. What number is Straw Yellow? Guess I'll have to make another trip to the glass store. Dang! I hate buying glass!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-11-04, 11:50am
PELE

Hey Shawnette! Straw Yellow is 049.

Yeah, isn't buying glass a total drag?

lynne

Old 2005-11-05, 11:09am

Lynne
Those beads are incredible!! I love the colors and swirls you are getting with the Iris Gold. Yum!
Why don't you try Boro?

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2005-11-05, 12:04pm

Lynne - those are awesome! I'm patiently waiting to get more Iris Gold in the mail so I can keep playing. I'm not quite getting your reactions either but I love the look so much I won't give up either!

Old 2005-11-05, 2:05pm
Fire Monkey

Lynne!
Those are just so beautiful.

hols

Old 2005-11-12, 6:27pm

Question--does "faux boro" hold it's color better in different light vs. "real boro"??
I'm asking from a designer point of view....my "issue" with boro is the color change when a customer gets a piece of jewelry home & it suddenly doesn't "look the same color" I'm thinking these beads likely DON'T have that "feature", huh?
More of a "what you see is what they STAY" kinda thing?
~L

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2005-11-12, 7:41pm
PELE

Hey Heidi, Dawn and Holly! I didn't even know you guys had posted here! Thank you!

Heidi, I have to figure out a way to keep the two kinds of glass separate in my small studio... once I do that I think I'll take the plunge. I have a Barracuda and an Integra 10, so I've got the tools...

Lunamoonshadow, the faux boro isn't elusive like real boro. It looks the same to me no matter where I look at it-- there's no color change that I can discern between outdoor and indoor lighting.

Here are some new ones-- varying the base glass and the encasing style makes a huge difference in the final look...

lynne (lol, have I hogged this thread OR WHAT?! )

Old 2005-11-12, 8:10pm

Lynne can you come to my house and teach me to do that? PLEEEEEAAAASE!!! Colorado is pretty right now and we haven't even had snow yet!

Old 2005-11-12, 8:15pm

Those blue ones are GORGEOUS!!! (I really like the look of boro--the colorshift just bugs the heck out of me!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2005-11-12, 11:10pm
Brainy McSmartypants

The ones I've been making have a bit of a color shift to them- they're darker indoors, but they have a great purple/blue halo when they're taken outside. But they do have MUCH more color under regular light than some boro beads I've seen.

Making a great pink color with this is easy, too- rubino cracks when I've used it.. bah! But... an orange base makes a berry pink that's unbelievable! Like Lynne showed up there, yellow is just awesome, too. Emerald green is GREAT, too!

Amy K

Old 2005-11-14, 6:16am
In search of her path....

These are fantastic! And being a boro girl I have to say some of these I would never KNOW they were NOT boro! wow! gotta keep this in my gotta try it folder!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-01-31, 11:00am
It's time to sparkle

I've been playing with the concepts in this thread for awhile and wanted to post some results:

Old 2006-01-31, 11:04am
Brainy McSmartypants

Ah, Jude! That bottom one, I ogled in the show and tell. I wondered if that was the brown/gold technique or if you got your gorgeous raku mojo out for that one. These are spectacular!

Amy K

Old 2006-01-31, 11:31am
<--- Time traveler

Gorgeous beads!

Courtney
Old 2006-02-01, 7:19am
Carpe Beadum

Wow, Jude!! Those are amazing!!!

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2006-02-01, 9:15am
Beyond Cloud 9!

Jude, I've been drooling over the colors you're getting lately! Just gorgeous!

Old 2006-03-10, 12:24pm
Floral Obsessed

Hi! I just wanted to thank the people on this thread! I ordered 018 brown a few weeks ago and over the past week or so I've been playing with 018 stringer coated in riechenbach iris gold frit. It works! It's hard to photograph but I love gazing into them in real life. The first pic is Nike Green encased in emerald green, with the faux boro stringer, encased + clear bumbs and matching spacers. The second one is my favorite so far - dark purple transparent with cobalt, a little silvered rubino stringe, fo-bo stringer, clear encasing + clear wrap. I can't wait to see what else can be done with this reaction! -Heather
Attached Images

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2006-03-10 at 12:27pm.
Old 2006-05-06, 9:57pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

wow I am about to go and light my torch, am I going to play with my stash of northstar NO! I am going to go and try this instead it is BETTER than the colours I have been getting from boro. but then I am a boro beginner!
Old 2006-05-07, 3:02pm

I don't know how I missed this thread for so long. Jude your beads are amazing. Wonderful colors.

I tried my hand at this and got OK colors. I'm wishing for more blues and purples.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-05-07, 8:46pm
Expert Thread Strangler

I just took my first "pretend" boro beads out of the kiln - HOW AWESOME!!!
for the tutorial!!!
Old 2006-05-08, 5:13am

LOL I just found this thread too, I've been in there, grinding iris gold nuggets into frit this am and can't wait to try it.

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2006-05-08, 7:34am
moth to the flame

I had found this thread last week and played a bit with the IG and straw yellow ~ Everyone's beadies here are pretties too - just wanted to say

Here is a set I just got out of the kiln

I love the effect!

Name:  FakeBoro2.jpg
Views: 7170
Size:  11.2 KB

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2006-05-08, 2:17pm

I have heard a couple of people mention double helix glass but am not familiar with it. What is it exactly? Tia
Old 2006-05-08, 3:22pm
Glassy Lady

Double Helix glass is made by an artist in WA.

It's Moretti/Vetrofond compatible and it has properties very similar to boro.

Here's the website: www.doublehelixglassworks.com

It's expensive, but I've seen some gorgeous work with this glass.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-05-09, 10:12am
Superkitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Rose
I've been playing with the concepts in this thread for awhile and wanted to post some results:

Jude, those are stunning!!!!

Deb
Old 2006-05-09, 10:28am

Default My Faux Boro Beads...

These were made using a base of striking red and iris gold stringer. They sold on e-Bay last week. (My son named them "Electric Grapes"!)
I just love this technique.
Liz
Old 2006-05-09, 10:31am

Oh Oh...I guess my picture didn't upload - I'll try again!
Old 2006-05-09, 10:41am

*drooool* gorgeous beads everyone!
Old 2006-05-09, 1:27pm

THUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great set Liz!!!!!
Aw heck they're all wonderful!!! I even got a couple I was proud of!!! lol after I realized I wasn't making my stringer potent enough and made more!!!

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2006-05-21, 7:52pm

OK guys,, I tried this, and I am not really happy with the results, I tried over carnelian, transparent (clear) and Rubino. The Rubino are the only ones which look decent. The carnelian based ones are totally brown, no color.. any idea where I went wrong? I think these are "close".

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

: