Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-05, 3:36pm

Default cleaning big hole beads

Hi, I have started making big hole beads useing a 5 mm.
mandrel. I have found them very hard to clean the bead
release out of the hole. The biggest hole cleaning tool
I can find is for the 3.2 mm. mandrels, but it's just not
big enough. I have checked some of the glass websites,
but can't find anything bigger. There must be big hole or
pandora bead release cleaning tools around. Anyone know
of any? Thanks
Old 2011-07-05, 3:53pm

I use this sort of thing. See the second one down? It fits in the BHB's pretty well.
http://www.mountainglassarts.com/4-T...&category=2781

These are in Australia.
http://www.affordableinspiration.com...ing-tools.html
Same thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-05, 6:53pm
sunscreen me baby

I have a tapered bit that gets as thick as 1/8th. It doesn't fill the hole so I move my hand in a small circular motion applying pressure to the inside of the bead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

Old 2011-07-05, 7:03pm
Queen Bee

Default BHB Drill Bit

I have the drill bit I use to clean BHB's on my site if you want to take a look - Drill bit

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2011-07-05, 7:13pm
sunscreen me baby

That's a nice sized bit Donna!

~

Old 2011-07-05, 10:30pm
one day at a time

First thing, start off with using a low residue bead release like KRAG Mudd. It's very smooth and strong enough to be used with BHBs. It practically cleans itself out of the holes in water, and then I use a regular 3/32" diamond coated bead reamer bit and do what SuzyQ does to gently clean the hole.
Old 2011-07-06, 1:57am
Alaska Boro

For cleaning beads BHB made with a 3/8 inch mandrel the same process as Suzy uses works well. If you would like to work faster or the release is tough, then try one of the larger OD diamond bits that fit a Dremel. Have been using a Dremel Stylus and bits from Widget Supply when needed.

Found that most bead releases do not need the use of a power tool. But did try some blue release that needed grinding to remove. Now use a home made formula that works well for my applications.

A 13/64 inch or a 4.8 mm OD 150 Grit Round End Cylinder Diamond Burr with a 1/8 inch shank will work with the Stylus.
Old 2011-07-06, 5:18am

You can use silicon carbide grit with the mandrel you made the bead on (dip mandrel in water, dip in grit, ream, collect grit in water pot).

I do that sometimes, or I just ream it a bit with the bare mandrel as I'm taking it off and do a quick go around with my normal bead reamer. I'm using fusion and I'd say BHBs were easier to clean than smaller beads.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-07-06, 6:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalorlo View Post
You can use silicon carbide grit with the mandrel you made the bead on (dip mandrel in water, dip in grit, ream, collect grit in water pot).

I do that sometimes, or I just ream it a bit with the bare mandrel as I'm taking it off and do a quick go around with my normal bead reamer. I'm using fusion and I'd say BHBs were easier to clean than smaller beads.
this is easy and work very well on all beads sizes

I make a paste with the silicon and put a small amount on the mandrel as you remove the bead.
Cleans the mandrel and the bead in one step.
you can buy it on line

one lb will last many years
Old 2011-07-06, 9:45am
Born Facing Left

I use chainsaw sharpening bits. Like this:

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_00928892000P

I got a kit of several sizes for, like, 5 bucks. They work brilliantly, and they're cheap.

Old 2011-07-06, 1:50pm

Thanks for the link, Sherry; they look perfect.

Mimi

Last edited by 2xMI; 2011-07-06 at 2:09pm.
Old 2011-07-06, 2:29pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
I use chainsaw sharpening bits...
Me too! You can get them dirt cheap at Harbor Freight & Widget Supply:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...emel-chain-saw

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...its-32375.html

Old 2011-07-08, 9:17am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
I use chainsaw sharpening bits. Like this:

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_00928892000P

I got a kit of several sizes for, like, 5 bucks. They work brilliantly, and they're cheap.
Wow, thanks!!! I had no idea the perfect size existed!
Old 2011-07-08, 12:53pm
da General

I use this one for under $2 . If you buy 2 or more it's $1.77ea, a full dozen and it's $1.48 ea:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/...saw/SDD2-316CS

|
|
|
|