Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-11, 6:57pm

Default Encasing Oranges

Is there any clear glass on this earth that works on encasing orange, I.E. Tequila Sunrise etc,...?
Thanks,
Teena
Old 2012-05-11, 7:14pm
Wonder-wench

pretty sure my Naval Orange will not survive encasing, no matter what kind of glass it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-11, 7:14pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I've had lots of cracking problems encasing oranges and yellows in the past, but awhile back somebody told me not to encase a solid orange core. They (whoever they are, thank you!) advised to start with a clear core on the bead, cover it with a thin layer of orange, and then do the thick clear case. I've tried it a couple times and it seems to work pretty well.

Anyone else? Other ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-05-11, 7:46pm

Oh great Sharon!! I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip...oh and Elizabeth...lol
Old 2012-05-11, 8:29pm
Glass-aholic

I have had great luck recently encasing troubling colors like tequila sunrise with Cirrus. Its an amazing effect as well. I have done all the coral colors I have, the reds, and some yellows and oranges, edp and a few others. ALL GREAT. I love it so much I have been wearing them non stop for weeks too!

I'll try any others anyone wants me to try as well. Alabasters/opilino's are on my list to encase w/ cirrus soon.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-05-11, 8:35pm

I very rarely encase large amounts of any opaque glass & never without putting some clear down on the mandrel first. Small amounts with thick encasing seem to be fine.. I use Lauscha Reformulated clear.

Kerry
Attached Images

Old 2012-05-11, 9:05pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
I've had lots of cracking problems encasing oranges and yellows in the past, but awhile back somebody told me not to encase a solid orange core. They (whoever they are, thank you!) advised to start with a clear core on the bead, cover it with a thin layer of orange, and then do the thick clear case. I've tried it a couple times and it seems to work pretty well.
Bingo...that's what I do, too! Orange is one of my faves and not being able to encase it really sucked. This solved all my problems. Yes...whoever YOU are that gave all of us this handy dandy solution---bless you!

Old 2012-05-11, 11:07pm

I think Pat Frantz wrote about that in a blog?
della
Old 2012-05-11, 11:45pm

Try a core of clear before your thin orange layer then encase in clear.

I've had some success with that method.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2012-05-12, 4:31am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I have had great luck recently encasing troubling colors like tequila sunrise with Cirrus. Its an amazing effect as well. I have done all the coral colors I have, the reds, and some yellows and oranges, edp and a few others. ALL GREAT. I love it so much I have been wearing them non stop for weeks too!

I'll try any others anyone wants me to try as well. Alabasters/opilino's are on my list to encase w/ cirrus soon.
Hey Jacki ... pics please!!! And, why can't I find any Cirrus ... it seems to be all sold out everywhere????

Last edited by Angie09; 2012-05-12 at 4:44am.
Old 2012-05-12, 5:20am
More ideas than talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post

Anyone else? Other ideas?
Same. Without a clear core those colours crack on me. The answer must be in the chemical used to get those colours. What chemical is it?

Old 2012-05-12, 5:53am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

I used an old regular Effetre clear in this set for the middle and the second to the left beads.

I didn't add any clear under the orange base. I never had trouble with cracking while encasing orange... maybe I was lucky...
Attached Images

Old 2012-05-12, 5:57am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

I just had a ''light-bulb'' moment, did you try with some transparent pink? The color is very light and maybe you will avoid the cracking issue... Worth the try!

Old 2012-05-12, 6:57am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendbill View Post
Same. Without a clear core those colours crack on me. The answer must be in the chemical used to get those colours. What chemical is it?
I think the key is the "chemical" that is not in orange, lead. Lead is what makes glass colors somewhat more "flexible" and is the reason we can use lower Coe frit with 104 Coe glass.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-05-12, 7:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by della View Post
I think Pat Frantz wrote about that in a blog?
della

I think it was posted here long before Pat wrote her blog. Wish I could find it. it would be good to give the person who wrote the tip some credit. It has saved a lot of beads.

Aha!!! Here:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...re#post1282687

Last edited by Poet?; 2012-05-12 at 7:28am.
Old 2012-05-12, 8:06am
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethCreations View Post
I just had a ''light-bulb'' moment, did you try with some transparent pink? The color is very light and maybe you will avoid the cracking issue... Worth the try!
This sounds like a great idea! Not so much to avoid the cracking issue, but for the sake of how gorgeous this would look.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-05-12, 8:29am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet? View Post
I think it was posted here long before Pat wrote her blog. Wish I could find it. it would be good to give the person who wrote the tip some credit. It has saved a lot of beads.

Aha!!! Here:

Yep, but I bet there are posts that even predate 2007 because I'd bet money I learned this on Wet Canvas before LE even existed. Maybe was still Kim, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Kim or Pat. Whoever it was...absolutely thank you!

Old 2012-05-12, 9:02am

Oh I like the transparent pink idea, it would be pretty!
Old 2012-05-12, 10:19am
Flame Dames Rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet? View Post

Aha!!! Here:

YES! Thank you for finding it, and thank you to the Amazing Affleck! This was the post I saw...

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-05-12, 10:32am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Yep, but I bet there are posts that even predate 2007 because I'd bet money I learned this on Wet Canvas before LE even existed. Maybe was still Kim, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Kim or Pat. Whoever it was...absolutely thank you!
Yeah, I remember it fro WC too and I'm pretty sure it was Pat. Thank you Pat!

Old 2012-05-12, 12:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Yeah, I remember it fro WC too and I'm pretty sure it was Pat. Thank you Pat!
Thank you Pat!! Some are in the kiln now.. (keeping fingers crossed).
Old 2012-05-12, 12:45pm
The one, the only

Does the clear base method work for non-special colours too? I learned that CiM Atlantis does not like being encased the bad way... would puting clear under Atlantis stop the encased beads from cracking?

-
-
-
Old 2012-05-12, 3:10pm

Well I am not Pat and not Kimberly but I say try it. What have you got to lose except a tiny bit of glass?
Old 2012-05-12, 3:11pm
The one, the only

I will absolutely, but I won't have access to my torch for another week so thought I'd ask here for now!

-
-
-
Old 2012-05-12, 3:50pm
Storm Queen

I just used Atlantis for the first time and it sure is pretty. It goes really well with Copper Green.

Old 2012-05-12, 8:50pm
Burning Fingers!

I also seem to remember hearing it from Michael Barley - but my memory just isn't very good these days - lol!!

/
/
/

Old 2012-05-14, 7:23pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Hey Jacki ... pics please!!! And, why can't I find any Cirrus ... it seems to be all sold out everywhere????
IDK about cirrus sold out. It is a shame if it is not available! here are a few picz. The more you toy with the cirrus the cloudier it gets. I LOVE it... The red purple really gets the purple highlighted in it, and the EDP is that lovely lilac color. The orange is the coral. I tried to take the pic so you could see the haze. It is not that predominant on the coral and the EDP, more the red. But I worked it more on the red beads when I made them.

quick phone picz:

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-05-14, 7:41pm
professional gimme fiver

For these I used lots of orange and didn't have any trouble. Maybe I just got lucky, cause I encase the heck out of everything (it's a disease, really).

Old 2012-05-14, 7:42pm
professional gimme fiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethCreations View Post
I LOVE these!!