AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Which clear do you use to encase?
Lauscha 68 30.91%
Kugler 12 5.45%
Moretti 63 28.64%
Other 77 35.00%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-06-11, 4:55am

Default POLL - Encasing Glass - Clear

Which glass do you use to encase your soft glass?
Old 2006-06-11, 5:02am
I love melting glass!

I voted for lauscha.... but am fairly new so I'm still practicing....I have been having better luck lately with the lauscha stringers though. It will be interesting to see what everybody else is using!
Old 2006-06-11, 5:14am

You left out Vetrofond.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-06-11, 5:19am

I figured "Other" would take care of that.
Old 2006-06-11, 5:20am
Pink-tini anyone?

I would have to say "all", so I'll chose OTHER. I started with Lauscha and love it still but am giving the others a try regularly as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-06-11, 5:42am
Guera loca

There was no option to choose more than one. I use all of them. Schermo taught me that I can even use the old scummy effetre if I'm very careful. She was right.

Barb

- our restaurant
Old 2006-06-11, 5:56am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Vetrofond mostly, Kugler some...

--
--
--

Old 2006-06-11, 6:07am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

I'm using Vetro but sometimes Lauscha but since I had some cracking issues, I'm encasing mostly with Vetro. Tried Kugler but wasn't impressed.

Old 2006-06-11, 7:05am
Booger #7

Vetro....

Old 2006-06-11, 7:07am

I use Vetro, recently Vetro crystal clear which I really like.

Old 2006-06-11, 7:11am

Kugler with no problems. That stuff is CLEAR!

(website in construction)
Old 2006-06-11, 7:39am

I would have picked more than one. I love the clearness (not a word, sorry...LOL) of Lauscha, however I don't use it to encase large beads based in Effrete (occasionally I have had it crack and I am just not willing to take that chance!) But if I use lauscha as a base, I will for sure use lauscha clear to encase. Effrete is very useable if you clean it really well and are careful. Andrea G. and Michael Barely both teach with Effrete clear, I think it is just something you need to find the proper way to use it. I have never tried Kugler.....I didn't know about it!

Ebay: Caring*hands*glassart
Old 2006-06-11, 9:16am
Ad astra per aspera

I love my Kugler! I know there were some problems but I haven't run into them. It's so clean and melts like a dream, even with the thicker rods.

For fans of 96, the Kugler lead-free is also divine.

Old 2006-06-11, 9:21am
Senior Moment

I got some Kugler and I really like it but when I encase over Effetre amber it cracks every time. I have tried heating it longer, less, everything!

Old 2006-06-11, 9:35am

I use vetro but I dont do much encasing

Old 2006-06-11, 9:43am

Have had cracking problems with both Kugler and Laucha and changed to Vetro. But the new moretti clear seems to be nice.
Old 2006-06-11, 12:53pm

I use Vetrofond right now, but I am going to try some of the new Moretti.

Old 2006-06-11, 1:13pm
Puddy Cat Lover

I wish there was more than one choice too. I picked Laucsha because I use it most for my large floral beads, but I'll use all others too.
J.

Old 2006-06-11, 1:57pm
Mama said

New Moretti? How did I miss that??

I started out using Moretti...oh my. I'd love to hear again from people who use it successfully. I have a bunch and I will admit that I haven't tried it once in the last several years after I found Lauscha clear.

I always encase Moretti with Lauscha clear and haven't had any crackies. But don't tell it to my glass. I don't want to mess up my mojo!

~Michelle
Old 2006-06-11, 2:02pm
Corgi Cult Member

Lausha or vetrofond. Just depends on my mood and the bead.
Kathy
Old 2006-06-11, 5:56pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Same as Kathy - Lauscha and Vetrofond.

Old 2006-06-12, 5:21pm

I'm very nervous about incompatable glass and no mater how often it is said, I don't trust Lauscha and Kugler with Moretti and Vetro glass. I use M or V on my soft glass beads.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-06-12, 6:51pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

When most of you are saying you use Vetro.. Are you just using the regular vetro or the super clear new stuff?
Old 2006-06-13, 7:38am
aka Spawn Of Flame

I use regular Vetrofond. Just every once in a while, I get a scummy streak.

--
--
--

Old 2006-06-13, 9:12am
Formerly SirWatson

I mainly use Kugler, but also use Lauscha for pulling goldstone or when working with silver. I have some Vetrofond, but hate it. It's all scummy and bubbly...worse than Moretti in my opinion.

<><
Old 2006-06-13, 6:29pm
Life is change. Love it

I've always used Lauscha with few problems intil I tried to encase cobalt silver and rubino - all beads cracked. Tried Kugler which I have pounds of - cracked. So now I've got some vetro clear. I'm gonna make those beads dammit!

BTW, I've never had much luck with Kugler, I've tried everything

Old 2006-06-14, 7:40am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Vetro and Moretti....which ever batch is clearer. Each batch is different. Actually I hardly ever encase but Greg uses it for marbles and goes through pounds.

We will use regular and crystal clear or super clear. Even the new super clear moretti has some issues with scumming. It is all in how you work it.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2008-02-15, 8:56pm

Scummy Moretti is my choice!!!

Old 2008-02-15, 9:29pm
Present tense

Vetro mostly, some Effetre...depends mostly if I'm paying attention to which compartment I'm getting glass out of. I've had very good luck with the Lauscha I've gotten, and it's gorgeous, but I'm careful where I use it as I'm afraid when I run out and order more, I'll get some of the cursed cracking stuff.

I got some Kugler 96 in Val's recent rod clearance and it is a dream!

Reichenbach lead crystal is touchy touchy touchy. Makes pretty icicles, but I used it in a bead the other day and burned the crap out of it in short order.

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2008-02-15, 9:53pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I need a class from Schermo! I am sure it would pay for itself since half the clear I have will be used as core it's so nasty.

I like Vetrofond, Lausha
and CIM nice soft and oh so sweet but boils easily.