Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-02-05, 5:08pm

Default Breast Cancer Awareness ribbon

Is there a tutorial for making pink ribbons??? I am referring to making murrini.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rudy; 2014-02-05 at 5:20pm.
Old 2014-02-07, 12:14am
I speak Murrini!

Hi Rudy!

I can't tell you all steps, 'cuz I'd end up writing a book! But maybe I can try and give you a start...

Here's a snap of my Pink Ribbon Murrini, both sliced and applied:

Here are my best "hints" to achieve a similar murrini:

* Print a simplified picture of the Ribbon you'd like to achieve and keep it in the studio for reference. (I usually carry a small version of my "target" image around with me for days and sometimes weeks, studying it so well that I can see it with my eyes closed by the time I hit the torch! . I'm kinda weird though );

* I use three colors of Pink: Medium for the top of the ribbon, dark for the folds/shadows to give the over-under effect, and the lightest pink for the main Ribbon sections;

* Start with a "teardrop" shape of clear to build the ribbon around. Build the upper "loop" section of the Ribbon first, and work your way down to where the loose Ribbon ends cross over;

* Once created, add clear 3/4 around the loop. Then extend a small, angled "tail" of clear from this encasement to give you a base to add the first dangling Ribbon end segment against. Make this first segment the solid ("over") Ribbon end;

* After encasing the first Ribbon segment, butt clear up against it in a triangle shape which will lay the foundation for the second (under) Ribbon end and add a nice separation to them.

I would say the trickiest part for me was wrapping my mind around how to create the over-under section of the two Ribbon ends. I hope by studying the first photo above as well as any inspirational or "guide" pictures or photos you may have, you can get a decent "visual" of how my Ribbon murrini is done and that these little hints help to guide you...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2014-02-07, 5:04am

Thank you! I will be contacting you!

Old 2014-02-14, 4:55am

Default pink ribbon

Do you sell some of these?
Old 2014-02-15, 12:53am
I speak Murrini!

Hi Knitty...

I have a few left in my stash and I've offered some to Rudy, depending on how she does with her efforts. If she decides to pass for now, though, I'll be in touch - ok?

(Psssttt! Rudy! I hope you'll show us how you're coming along, if you feel like it... Lemme know if you have any questions...)

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro