Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2011-03-05, 2:32pm

Default 2 Effetre questions

Hi guys! I have a couple simple questions here.

1) Is Effetre's Super Clear truthfully better than all their other clears? I have sampled most of their other clears over the past 6 months and honestly, they all were pretty disappointing.

2) I'm wondering which TRANSPARENT pink is darker (and a true pink) Rose quartz, Pink rose or if it still exists, pink transparent.

Thanks

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-05, 3:26pm
Peerless Thread Killer

The clear question is an ongoing problem. It's been discussed many times. At the moment, I use Reichenbach 104 clear which is great, or Diamond clear -I think I have an okay batch that doesn't crack. I have some Kugler I haven't tried. Some folks swear by Aether, but I can't afford that. I have tons of Effetre clear, Effetre super clear, Vetrofond clear, CIM clear. All of these are heavily prone to scumming.

I will say that if you are willing to peel the larger rods of Effetre clear, it's very clear.

I hate, hate, hate the fact that no glassmaker can come out with a clear that is consistently non-scummy and affordable.

There are as many opinions on the different clears as there are people. YMMV.

No clue on the pinks.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-03-05, 5:23pm
Mary Lockwood

No clue on the pinks.

I use regular effetre clear--fat rods peeled down to clean them.

OR

effetre super clear, pickled and not peeled.

Hope that helps.
~~Mary

Old 2011-03-05, 5:28pm
Against the Grain

I'm using the super clear and I really like it. I've had trouble with all the others.

Old 2011-03-05, 5:38pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I buy the big rods of superclear and peel them when I have to have 104 clear but to be honest I got tired of the frustration and now most of my encased beads I do in uroboros 96.

Aether is gorgeous but it's too expensive for me to use regularly.

Old 2011-03-05, 9:16pm
Formerly FishBulb

The Rose Quartz is pinker than the Pink Transparent but is prone to scumming, especially if you're trying to use it for an encasing glass. Don't know what Pink Rose looks like.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-03-05, 9:17pm
Formerly FishBulb

Regarding the clears, Reichenbach Crystal 1011 is TDF (to die for). It's a little stiff but once you get used to it you'll love it so much you'll want to marry it.

Old 2011-03-05, 10:44pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Agree with the comments on the clear.

Pink Rose (068 ) actually looks like peach
Effetre Rose Quartz (067) is a really nice pink
CIM Rose Quartz is darker then the Effetre Rose Quartz

But, if you want to stay transparent, go with the CIM Rose Quartz Unique over the regular CIM Rose Quartz. You can still get a bit of the "whiting", but not much.

Also, the Effetre Rose Quartz is absolutely da bomb etched. I don't know why, but the color is really enhansed with the etching.

Old 2011-03-05, 11:03pm
Formerly FishBulb

Good point JameyLynn! I had some Fire Opal beads I encased in Effetre Rose Quartz and it scummed all over the place, so I etched them and boy, did they look great. It really is a beautiful pink.

Old 2011-03-06, 5:24am

Hi JameyLynn! Etching is EXACTLY why I'm looking for the trans pink! Thanks for the tip (gee, guess who gets my order!)

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-03-06, 6:35am
Karen James

As for the clears, I find it hit or miss. I really do when it comes to 104 glass. BE however has a wonderful clear.

As for pinks, JameyLynn hit the nail on the head! CiM Rose Quartz is my go to pink. It is gorgeous. And, JameyLynn is my go to woman for glass too!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2011-03-06, 7:00am
Lampworkaholic!

TAG Clarity. Best clear ever. Worth the price. (Watch for sales.)

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-03-06, 7:06am
And silence is golden

Is there a YouTube video showing how the "peeling" process is done? I would think that after one peels a rod of clear down, and discards the scummy stuff, one will have pretty much spent as much for that glass as one would for the more expensive rods.
Old 2011-03-06, 8:39am
Loving learning

Check out this post, and the next has links.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-03-06, 9:47am
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Thank you Duane

Shrimp, for peeling rods, you are not actually removing much glass, just the very surface. One thing I do that works for me is that I have a jar of water just for the peeled glass. I have it filled about 1/2 way with ice, then fill with water.

The glass I peel off, I drop into the ice water. The reason to have so much ice in there is so that the glass just does not drop straight to the bottom, you want to shock the daylights out of it as it passes through the layers of glass. When you drop that hot glass onto the ice, there is such a temperature difference that the glass you dropped in breaks up into nice size frit bits. Then just pour it into a strainer lined with a coffee filter to drain and dry out.

So if you ever need clear frit that does not have to be 100% perfect you have it. I make lots of organic beads, so having clear frit is a must for that for different effects I need. (which now makes me wonder if you could pickle the clear frit?? I don't see why not)

The ice water works great for making small amounts of any colored frits you want too. Heat your rod end to molten, then use scissors to cut off the molten part into the ice water, don't dunk the rod. This way the rod stays nice and hot and no fractures.