Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-06-09, 2:31pm
SandyQ

Default Sunflower Tutorial

Hi all,

I am not sure if someone has posted this request (for this type of bead) or not. I have had a request from a client who has asked if I can make beads with sunfowers on them. Well, to date I have never attempted this. I can make encased floral beads but I have not had too too much luck with surface flowers. This request is a very important request to this client, as this piece will be in memory of her (would have been) future daughter-in-law who was just 25 and passed away after she suffered a stroke. The brother to the gal who died is getting married in August and sunflowers were her favorite flower - So, what my friend would like to do is have me make some sunflower beads for the bride, the brother, mother, father, et cetera (8 in total), to make bracelets, necklaces, and keychains to signify "her" being there with them on that speical day.

Okay, after the above novel (sorry, but I am a wordy individual)..., would anybody have any suggestions/tutorials for sunflower beads??

Thank you in advance!!
Old 2007-06-10, 3:50am
Pyromaniac

If you do boro, Momka's Sunflower cane would be beautiful for beads:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ight=sunflower

Lana
Old 2007-06-10, 5:15am
SandyQ

Thanks I have never worked with boro, I am not sure my minor torch could handle it LOL. SOME day I'll have a big girl torch!
Old 2007-06-10, 5:46am
Detail G-Mama!

Do you want them encased or raised? I make raised ones sometimes for my doll beads. What I do is use opaque yellow, usually the dark yellow. I put 5 or 6 large dots in a circle but not close together. Add creases to each one. I then put a large dot of opaque brown in the center and flatten it down over the petals. I then add more yellow dots on top of the brown around the edges inbetween the previous petals, add creases and then with my pick or rake, I pull the petals to a point. I then add about 3 small dots on top of the brown and viola! Hope that makes sense! We want to see what you come up with also!
You can omit the first layer and just add a dot of brown, flatten, then add the yellow over that if you want!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Anne Ricketts; 2007-06-10 at 5:49am.
Old 2007-06-10, 9:00am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

I made stringers in petal colors of yellow and coral and red and push/paint them onto my base, lifting and pulling to a point at the end. Go from the inside to the outside edge of the petal, starting on the outside of the flower to the middle.

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2007-06-10, 12:40pm
SandyQ

thankyou thankyou! I am getting INSPIRATION now! I have not made it to the torch yet today (too much housework!) sheesh! Stupid laundry! LOL

If I am able to actually make something that looks like a sunflower with the suggestions here, I'll gladly post.
Old 2007-06-10, 12:42pm
SandyQ

OOPS, forgot to anser the question, Anne, I was thinking raised - but I have not had too much luck with raised flowers as of yet (partly because I have not practiced enough). I hate failure LOL. BUT, in order for me to learn how to do it, I have to practice!
Old 2007-06-10, 2:54pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Something I've always found helpful to keep the yellow from fading away---layer opaque yellow over a white core, maybe add coral or brown stripes depending on the color of sunflower you're after, then pull fat stringers from the layered cane. That white core makes a huge difference on opaque yellow and red both.
Raku cane striped with dk green opaque and intense black makes a great center, just pull it down and dab it on and it looks like seeds..
Old 2007-06-10, 3:54pm
Red*Dog*Designs

If you have some yellow or gold enamel, you can also roll the yellow rod of glass in the enamel. Add as much or little of the enamel as you want and mix it in with the yellow glass using a small masher. When you are ready, pull a medium to fat stringer and use the stringer to make the petals as described above. I have found that enamel helps to keep the yellow from fading out and it gives a little "body" to the stringer.

This is a "sunflower" of sorts (really a quicky crappy one). I used dark brown in the middle and the enameled yellow stringers for petals. I then made small raised dots in the middle with one of the reactive glasses.

Here is a gratuitous dog head as well
Attached Images

Debi

We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

Old 2007-06-10, 5:01pm
Virginia.

Love the sunflower - LOVE THE DOG!!!! I put gratuitouse dog pics everywhere - V

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2007-06-10, 6:11pm
SandyQ

WOW! Thanks very much for the suggestions/tutorial. AND LOVE THAT DOG! I am sooooo full of inspiration! This is just AWSOME!
Old 2007-06-11, 10:11am
SandyQ

I did not GET to the torch yesterday afternoon. BUT I PLAN TO THIS AFTERNOON! I'll post what I did tuesday morning.... Don't expect anything spectacular... LOL - but miracles DO happen from time to time!
Old 2007-06-16, 7:48pm
SandyQ

Okay, finally got tome to get to the torch this morning. This is what I "tried" for the first sunflower bead. I am failing miserably but having fun trying, so all is not lost! I will keep trying. I have about 6 weeks to come up with something lovable

Old 2007-06-16, 7:51pm
Red*Dog*Designs

That's a good looking bead Sandy..........I think you are off to a great start!

Debi

We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

Old 2007-06-17, 11:07pm
SandyQ

Okay, kiln fully cooled..... this is what came out today... I am getting happier about these LOL

Old 2007-06-18, 3:19am
Detail G-Mama!

They are getting cuter with practice! Keep up the good work!

Old 2007-09-02, 6:19am
Formerly SirWatson

I love sunflower beads and make them all the time! Here are a few shots of the sunflowers I've made in the past:

I actually have a tutorial on how to make these beads that was going in Corina's Floral Spotlight...however, I think I may just add it to my website.

Good luck and cute beads!!!

<><
Old 2007-09-02, 7:01am

Those sunflowers are beautiful, and I love the "furbie" dog!!! What a cute dog!

Lynn
Old 2007-09-02, 7:48am
ID10T Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWatson View Post
I actually have a tutorial on how to make these beads that was going in Corina's Floral Spotlight...however, I think I may just add it to my website.

Please do!!!!

I noticed the promotion for the Spotlight on Florals has been removed from her website, so I fear it will not happen now.

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2007-09-12, 10:35am
Anyone need some spacers?

That is a bummer that the Spotlight is not going to happen. I love these sunflowers great job!

Old 2007-09-12, 10:03pm

How can we bribe you for the tutorial Karla? Humm, food, glass, or I would be even willing to pay money for that one!
Jen
Old 2007-09-13, 4:54am
Anyone need some spacers?

Jen I agree with you call me in LOL.

Old 2007-09-13, 10:46am
Wendy

With the spotlight gone how can we bribe you to post the tutorial? I'm still working on making beads that are round with nice puckers but I'd love to have this to look forward to.