Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-04-16, 8:46am

Default Flower frog

I've seen this term used a few times in the boro section. Can someone explain what this is? Is it a technique? a tool? Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-16, 9:13am

It's a florist tool that has many pins on it. If you press hot glass onto it, it will make many pin impressions and then if you coat the impressions with clear, you will get very a very even bubble pattern in your piece.

This is what they look like...

http://www.apropergarden.com/product.cfm?c=4&p=56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-16, 10:05am
Definitely having fun

...or put color dots into the impressions and implode for spikey flower like results
Old 2011-04-17, 10:45am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Be wary of actual 'flower frogs' as the bases are lead (in older ones) or some other low melting point metal (in newer ones) and if you get them to hot they will come apart. I found some stainless steel 'frogs' from a company in Canada (sorry I don't recall their name) some years back that have the pins welded in and they work great and were very inexpensive at the time. There is also the 'Vin Pin' tool that uses brass pins in a graphite base made for lampworking. A nice feature of the Vin Pin tool is that the pins are somewhat loose and can be arranged into different patterns.
My only problem is getting the gather of glass centered on the pins
PJH
Old 2011-04-17, 12:07pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Lee Valley Tools has good brass ones. They may be who you are thinking about - I think they're in Canada.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...07&cat=2,50560

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-04-17, 2:12pm

Thanks for the link squid

Old 2011-04-17, 5:32pm

The Vin Pin was designed by Vinni (A glassblower from Alaska) for glass blowing
the area where the Brass pins are can be slid out and some of the pins removed to make different designs or you can use it as it is for a cool small bubble effect. These are made of brass so you can use them with hot glass and made by Weaver Industries

http://trevsglass.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=395

Old 2011-04-17, 6:54pm

Thats a nice one. I guess I'm using the lead one Thanks Cheng for pointing that out. I didn't know.

Old 2011-04-21, 7:03am

I have a lead based one I bought from the local craft store (Micheals I think) and I have been using it for years with no problems. I believe it cost me about 6$

Old 2011-04-23, 1:29pm
Type ZZZ personality

I got the one from Michaels, and melted the pins out about the third time I used it!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2011-04-23, 6:06pm
Catchen' the Sun

I got mine at JoAnne Fabrics - it was around $3.00- $4.00. you get them in the floral section with the tapes and pins and tools.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2011-04-23, 7:01pm
Unmedicated since '62

there is a great tutorial on the flow for an anemone implosion that uses a flower frog - good value at $3.95

https://www.theflowmagazine.com/inde...rble&Itemid=65

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2014-02-11, 9:43pm
Queen of the milo field

Bump for questions.

When I searched on 'flower frog implosion' this thread popped up from several years ago.

Can the florist ones be used w/soft glass, 104 COE since it doesn't have to be as hot?

Did those of you using a regular florist' flower frog continue to use one w/good results? Or did you eventually pop for the modern, made for glass working ones?

thanks

DJ
Old 2014-02-13, 9:48am
Melting

I've had the cheap florist version for a few years now. I use it with boro and have had no problems.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2014-02-13, 10:49am
Flamewoman

Ok so this is not $6, it is $82. I have this tool and believe me, it is sooooo worth it.
You can push very hot glass onto it, and even use a paddle and push it down all around on it, and it does not stick, don't try that with the $6 version. The indentations it makes are much easier to see and fill, I can't say enough, this is one of my favorite tools. Quality made, I highly recommend it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vin-Pin-2-Di...item33819a0496
This was made with the pinfrog:

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!

Last edited by Mary K; 2014-02-13 at 6:27pm.