Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-07-16, 8:27pm

Default Push Skulls

OK so those pieces with fumed skulls inside.

Are those made by getting a nice big hot gather...pushing a skull push like this into it.

fuming inside...letting it cool a bit... filling the hole/impression with more glass? then shaping for pendant or marble.

Guessing here....am i wrong?? Missed something? Never try this method before.

Also anyone know if anyone makes these pushes into other things then just skulls?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-07-16, 8:45pm
Bernhard Riegler

Deb Tarry does moulds for glass - she even posted kind of a tut for that if I am not wrong - check it out . .

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6841266&type=1

and she knows all about what you might want to know

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Last edited by Onekura; 2014-07-16 at 8:48pm.
Old 2014-07-16, 9:26pm

Those are really cool

Old 2014-07-17, 5:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamedrose View Post
OK so those pieces with fumed skulls inside.

Are those made by getting a nice big hot gather...pushing a skull push like this into it.

fuming inside...letting it cool a bit... filling the hole/impression with more glass? then shaping for pendant or marble.

Guessing here....am i wrong?? Missed something? Never try this method before.

Also anyone know if anyone makes these pushes into other things then just skulls?
That's the way I do it, but, of course, you get fume everywhere, not just in the depression. When you fill the back with glass, try not to get any outside the depression. The excess fume will burn off when you are shaping the pendant/marble.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2014-07-20, 6:26pm

You have the basic method down pat and it is just a matter of getting the glass that you are filling it with super hot. how hot? trial and error and you will get it down pat. Sometimes I don't fume I just use coloured glass. I have had success in spot heating on the side of a tube and pushing the face into the hot spot then fume with silver that looks pretty cool.
Attached Images

Old 2014-07-20, 9:44pm

Very cool Deb

Ever tried like a brass leather stamp instead of the graphite?

Old 2014-07-21, 4:30am

I have a leather stamp that I tried, but it didn't turn out very good at all. The main problem with using leather stamps is they are solid metal and heat up very quickly. The ones designed for glass usually have a rubber insulated handle or possibly a wooden handle.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2014-07-21, 12:12pm

OK no leather stamps... hmmm

OT but yall might want to know... Art glass house is going out of biz which I'm sad to hear. ....but they are having like 65% off boro colored sales going on. Site isnt accurate to what they have left might wanna call.

Old 2014-07-21, 3:28pm

Yes leather stamps!!! Have been using them for over forty years, From Tandy Leather. I use the ones about four inches long. About a 5-6 mm diameter handle. Took a 1/4 inch drill bit, used my drill press , and drilled 1/4 inch holes down into 10 mm diameter wood dowels. About six inches long. No heat comes up the metal thru the wood.

Last edited by LewisW; 2014-07-21 at 3:30pm.
Old 2014-07-21, 4:11pm

I have used crome plated metal rings that I hold with vise grips. though they wear out because they don't take the heat well.
I have used bronze clay to make a mould and have pushed the glass into that. see picture below. the first one was made with a solid glass gather and the second I used hollow tubing.
Here is a link to my Facebook page with some pics of the process of making a bronze mould.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&notif_t=like
I am not sure about brass I don't think I have used anything out of brass.
Attached Images

Old 2014-07-21, 4:13pm
MacGalver

Deb, just checked out the FB page.... what is the brown material that you are making the mold with? Bronze clay? something else? The effect of the finished pieces is wonderful!

Old 2014-07-21, 7:51pm

We carved the image out of wax (meaning my teacher Melanie Rowe did) then rolled out bronze clay and layed it on top of the wax image and gently pressed it down so it would take on the image of the wax. As it was drying it starts to shrink so we gently over time we eased it up so it would not stick to the wax image. then fired it in the kiln when it was completely dry.

Old 2014-07-23, 9:18am

Deb have yall tried a green man? Think that coloring and effect could make a really cool one