Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-10-12, 11:09am
I speak Murrini!

Wow, beautiful Kalera! I've still NEVER used mine...I really ought to give 'em a try!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-10-24, 9:09pm

Kalera,
How do you keep from cracking the leaf while your putting on the loop?
Thanks, Teena
Old 2009-10-25, 9:11pm
Formerly FishBulb

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for posting this, Kalera. I have that very tool but was never entirely sure how to use it properly. I'm done for tonight but I'll have to give it a try tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-10-27, 4:40pm
I'm a lilac!

Teena, the masher is still usually hot from mashing it initially, and I make the loop quite quickly so the glass doesn't have a chance to get that cool.

Angie, thank you! You're welcome, and have fun! Post pics!

Old 2010-07-13, 3:58am

Great tutorial! Thanks!
How would I go about annealing this off-mandrel? I have a chili pepper kiln if that means anything...
Old 2010-07-13, 6:18am
Queen Tut ;)

Now I have to find a cheap leaf masher, because I just HAVE to try this! Absolutely gorgeous.

Anyone have an extra leaf masher for cheap?

Old 2010-07-13, 10:43am
I'm a lilac!

Kokeshi, I just stick them right on the floor of my annealer, using the masher as a holding tool.

Jenne, I think they're something like $10 at Frantz and Arrow Springs... I've always been fascinated by how cheap they are compared to other tools!

Old 2010-07-14, 5:39am
Puddy Cat Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokeshikitten View Post
Great tutorial! Thanks!
How would I go about annealing this off-mandrel? I have a chili pepper kiln if that means anything...
I have a chili pepper too. I just place the bead on the fiber blanket floor of the kiln. The leaves are thin enough to cool between fiber blanket. Then after they're cooled completely, you can batch anneal them. Just a suggestion.

J.

Old 2010-07-19, 6:53am

My mashers broke. One of the leaf parts came off. Not soldered on good enough. Now I don't know where they are.
Will try and see where the other part is.
Awesome jewelry and all. Thank you Kalera.

Rose Leslie
Old 2010-07-19, 7:13am
Certified Thread Killer

I just cannot get the loop to happen. Any hints? I've tried everything. Moth even has a lovely off-mandrel leaf tutorial here with a diagram for how-to-heat-the-glass-for-the-loop. I still can't get it.

Any suggestions for practicing the loops? I should ask in a separate thread, eh?
Old 2010-07-20, 4:34pm
I'm a lilac!

I wonder if anyone has a good video on Youtube? It seems like that would be the easiest way to learn, by far... it's simple if you see it done, just not necessarily easy to diagram. Anyone seen a good video of loop-making?

Old 2010-07-20, 11:42pm

These leaves are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 2010-07-21, 5:13am

Rachelle - although it won't help you practice loops, there is a way around the loop-issue. If you have a waiting kiln, make a small spacer bead, stick it in the kiln with plenty of the mandrel sticking out. When the leaf is done, grap the cool part of the mandrel, introduce it to the back of the flame, warm it and then attach it to the leaf instead of a loop. It works just fine, although loops are certainly a good thing to figure out. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2010-07-21, 6:03am

I have problems with the loops. So will have to get busy on doing this again.

Rose Leslie
Old 2010-07-21, 8:11am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
Rachelle - although it won't help you practice loops, there is a way around the loop-issue. If you have a waiting kiln, make a small spacer bead, stick it in the kiln with plenty of the mandrel sticking out. When the leaf is done, grap the cool part of the mandrel, introduce it to the back of the flame, warm it and then attach it to the leaf instead of a loop. It works just fine, although loops are certainly a good thing to figure out. Jeri
This is my method too! And once you get it down, it works well for lots of off-mandrel creations as well as leaves! Glad you posted this alternative for people to try! Kalera's leaves are just too pretty to let a little 'ol loop stop you from trying - and SUCCEEDING!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-07-21, 8:00pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Thanks for resurrecting this thread! I love these!!

Sara

Old 2010-07-23, 4:35pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

thanks so much for sharing!!!!!!!

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-07-26, 11:51am

Great instructions and idea! Glad I checked back in the tutorial section today!
Old 2010-07-26, 11:54am
I'm a lilac!

Thanks! Post pics!

Old 2010-08-13, 8:23pm
Entropy increasing....

Frantz has the mashers on sale for $7.50 right now.
Old 2010-08-17, 12:18am
Entropy increasing....

These are my first leaves. I'm happy with them except the loop gets too spindly on the end and I think it would be too fragile to use. So I have to work on that.

Thanks Kalera!

Old 2010-08-19, 11:20am

Kalera, I hope it's o.k. to post this in your thread. (If not, let me know and I will delete!)

I hated those mashers because they don't open automatically. They sat on my table for AGES! Then I came up with a fix... It's in my blog.

It may make the tool much easier to use for some. It did for me... now I love it!

Last edited by Holly'sFolly; 2010-08-19 at 11:25am. Reason: forgot to finish my thought!
Old 2010-08-19, 11:24am

Re: Off mandrel loops... practice, practice, practice. It took me ages to realize I can work they loop for an infinite amount of time if I keep everything warm. Before I always felt such pressure to JUST GET IT IN THE KILN!

But now I take my time. I heat it, let it get soft, work it open with my small tungsten pick. Heat, open more with larger pick. If it gets to thin in a spot, I add some glass and repeat. I always try to finish by really looking at the loop...HOW WILL IT HANG??? If it's lopsided... heat and adjust the angle with small mashers. Double check that hole size again and then in the kiln.

Old 2010-08-23, 10:29am
I'm a lilac!

Awesome leaves, Kevan! They look great! You might be surprised at how strong even a pretty thin loop is, too.

It's totally great that you posted that in this thread, Holly! Awesome fix!

Old 2010-08-25, 1:09pm

Kalera, Thanks! I so just wanted to help!

Old 2010-08-25, 1:27pm
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeri View Post
Whoops! Thanks Jeri, I just saw this, and it's the end of August! I have made a few coming off a small spacer bead but I do like the idea of the loop better. I've seen it done on a video somewhere now it's just a matter of a) getting back on the torch, and b) PPP!

And, Kevan, those are AWESOME! Great work! At least your loops look like…loops.
Old 2010-09-16, 11:44am
I'm a lilac!

On the topic of loop thickness, I was paying attention to what I do, and after I heat the rod above the leaf (just until it starts to be soft) I wait a few seconds, then very slowly pull it away like I'm making thick stringer, until I have about one inch of 2mm stringer between the rod and the leaf. Then I carefully curve it over the back side of the leaf, let it touch, melt it off, and flatten the melted-off part into the leaf.

Pictures would make this description make more sense, but I hope it helps!

Old 2010-09-16, 11:58am

These leaves are incredible ... love the colors you chose. Thanks so much for sharing ... I guess I was in the same boat as everyone else, feeling like I wasn't using this masher quite right. I will be at the torch making leaves like crazy Friday night!
Old 2010-10-04, 7:49pm
Entropy increasing....

Thanks and thanks for this tut, Kalera. I need to try some more. I have all those orangie and greenie odd lots from Vetro that came out a couple of years back. They are great for this.
Old 2010-10-05, 1:04am
I'm a lilac!

Oh, yes, those green streaky odds would make fabulous leaves! Post pics of what you make!