Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Batch anneal or garage?
Batch anneal 25 21.19%
Garage as I go 93 78.81%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-04-13, 1:47am

Default Do you batch anneal or garage?

I'm trying to decide on the best approach here, what do you do?
Old 2012-04-13, 5:03am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

I never like the batch anneal. I prefer to put them in the kiln right away...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ElizabethCreations; 2012-04-13 at 5:08am.
Old 2012-04-13, 5:07am
Burnt Wood Beads

I used to batch anneal until Dee told me how to program my kiln!!!

A friend set up my kiln for batch annealing and then she moved away and I had no clue how to program the thing...and I was petrified I would lose my "batch programing"....but Dee (here on LE) sent me explicit instructions and now I LOVE garaging them!

Much less breakage!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-04-13, 5:13am
Unmedicated since '62

Always garage, it's soooo much easier

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-04-13, 5:40am
Mad about Glass

Never batch anneal, always garage - so much safer and easier.

[url]

Old 2012-04-13, 5:42am
Now part of the Dark Side

I garage as I go, but then I make marbles and not beads. I do have vermiculite and when I'm making marble blanks, think pulling points only with 15mm solid rod, I cool the blanks in vermiculite and then batch anneal. I find that the blanks survive better than tossing them in the kiln. There can be a large temperature differential on 4 inches of 15mm rod.
Old 2012-04-13, 10:05am
Salt Box Beads

I do both depending on what I am making.
Old 2012-04-13, 10:15am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I would LOVE to garage, but I batch anneal because I run my kiln off a generator, not house power, and I'm too cheap to run the generator every day. <grin>

L-111

Old 2012-04-13, 10:15am

I do both. I have a kiln next to where I torch, but it does not have a digital control. I keep it around 930, and turn it off 30 minutes after the last bead. Then, I clean and keep the beads until I have enough to batch anneal in a digital kiln later on.

Neither are bead kilns. They're just small fusing kilns that I've had for several years and I'm making them work for the beads instead of purchasing yet another kiln!

Barbara
Old 2012-04-13, 10:29am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

My kiln is a smaller bead annealer so I can't fit everything in that I make in a day (really need to upgrade). That said, i use both methods, even with large focals at times. I rarely have an issue with breakage and the rare time is does happen, that's usually more because I am admiring a bead for too long before I put it in the kiln or the fb. I use double-stacks of fiber blanket (4 tall) - keeps them nice and hot for a long time to avoid the too-quick temp drop.

Old 2012-04-13, 10:34am
Dazed and Confused

I used to batch anneal, until I started making marbles

Now I just program my kiln to stay at 960-ish for a couple of hours.

I find about 2.5 hours is the perfect time for a torch session anyway, so it also works as a timer to stop me from sitting there all day...
Old 2012-04-13, 2:06pm
Type ZZZ personality

I go into the kiln as I work at home, but we batch anneal when I teach.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2012-04-13, 3:39pm

I used to batch anneal. I just got a bead annealer, so starting Sunday when the new kiln is set up on its stand, I will garage!
Old 2012-04-13, 3:50pm
Not really a tree.

I started out batch annealing, but quickly moved to garaging when I realized it didn't take very long for my kiln to get to temperature. When I first bought it, I had the misconception that somehow it was going to take hours to get up to garaging temps.

/
Old 2012-04-13, 4:22pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I do both.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-04-14, 5:39am
flight risk

I batch anneal. I bought a big kiln, but only make eight or so beads a session. I use annealing bubbles and batch anneal when I have enough to fill the kiln. My kiln is also in a separate space from my torch. I really want to try making components and assembling them, maybe soon.

Old 2012-04-14, 5:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Same here. I prefer to garage but I will batch anneal if the beads are small and without raised decoration.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2012-04-14, 5:55pm
picking Job's Tears

I prefer to garage but if I ever want to make any beads again I think I'll go back to batch annealing. I don't very often have time to make beads for 3 hours and then wait 5 hours for the kiln to cool down. I don't like leaving the kiln on over night even if it's not inside the house.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2012-04-14, 6:16pm
da General

Garage only - there is no way my very thick (1.25"+ in diameter) spheres would survive otherwise.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-04-14, 6:34pm
sunscreen me baby

Garage for me too. I have two chili peppers so I can load them both up on heavy production days.

~

Old 2012-04-18, 3:00pm

thanks for the feedback everyone, I am planning to get a kiln and trying to decide which type to buy and this was one consideration. Can anyone explain why its better to garage? this seems to be the most popular method.
cheers!
Old 2012-04-18, 3:19pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Garaging is ideal - mostly because the glass is dealt with straight away.
Batch annealing's main risk is that the longer unannealed beads are left, the more time strain points have to play and run amok.
That's my take on it anyway. I don't run my big kiln every session because it's expensive when I only make a handful of beads at a time, and I don't generally do large beads.

SRA# P107
Old 2012-04-18, 5:23pm
It's about having fun!

I love the almost instant gratification of being able to see my stuff not to long after I make it! I think I'd go crazy if I had to wait over night!
Thank you! Joni
Old 2012-04-18, 6:55pm
Burning Fingers!

Definately garage - I batch annealed a couple of times when I first purchased my kiln, and I am still finding broken beads from those firings - 4 years later!
I have a chili pepper, and it only takes 10 - 15 minutes to heat up to garaging temp of 965, and is really cheap to run.

/
/
/

Old 2012-04-22, 12:49am
More ideas than talent

It depends on the beads. As a general rule I garage as I go along now. However smaller less complex beads like spacers are easy enough to make and then batch anneal later.

I find larger pressed beads and encased beads tend to have a higher failure rate if not garaged and annealed at the time of making.

Old 2012-04-23, 5:41am

I garage because I make bigger beads that wouldn't survive cooling in a fiber blanket. I had to batch anneal for about a month or two but after loosing some beads that I spent significant time on I knew the kiln was worth it. I was also positive by then that lampworking wasn't a passing fancy. Even for small beads, I like knowing that when I have a finished bead it is annealed and ready to be used immediately once clean, no worries about accidentally getting an unannealed bead mixed up with an annealed one.

Initially I was afraid my electricity bill would skyrocket but even with a month of using the kiln ~4-5 nights a week (maybe 20-30 hours of torch time each week) I would only add $15-20 to my bill. If you get a higher temp kiln you can do alll sorts of techniques with it depending on the type you get (fusing, metal clay, even enameling) in addition to lampworking. The kilns are pretty dependable, hold their value well and are a good investment in the long run imo. I have several now lol .

Tina

Old 2012-04-23, 1:12pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Aaaah yessss. Having unloaded the kiln of a couple of weeks of goodies, I sure like the feeling of having the latest session of garaged beads ready to go

SRA# P107
Old 2012-04-26, 9:24am
Puddy Cat Lover

I batch for my spacer and smaller beads. I garage the larger florals and focals. So, both.

J.

Old 2012-05-01, 8:59pm
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2012-05-22, 6:11am
ALWAYS SMILES

I garage,too.....but I use an SC2 with a small bead door and it can get crowded in there when I try to keep them all separate (I only do focals) recently decided to try stacking beads that have been in there awhile and it works...This should help me fit more in per session !