Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-23, 6:31am
StudioMarcy

aw thanks Kristina. I went to make something using one of the browns and it devitrified continuously on me no matter how I readjusted my torch. I will acid etch it and see if it is worth posting.
Marcy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-11-23, 6:53am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
There is a video and tutorial here: http://www.jcherrell.com/pullingstringer.htm on pulling stringers. Hope that helps!

Bethany thank you for that stringer link! I was wishing for one.
Old 2010-11-23, 9:54am

You are welcome. I think that is a good one!

Now don't you need to get back to the frogs? I love seeing your critters!
Old 2010-11-23, 10:02am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Pixie Dust

You are reading my mind! Tonight I want to make some Froggies on Pixie Dust-ed beads for Christmas! Call me loopy, but I think it would be cute! I just got some of the AWESOME Pixie Dust powders that just went up on the Devardi site. I am thrilled out of my mind playing with them. It's like starting the thrill of this glass passion all over again!

My camera just died so I scanned last nights tests using the Magic Blue on these different colors of glass. Sorry for the terrible picture quality, but this was JUST the Magic Blue's effects. The site pictures just don't do them credit! I just started a Thread on Pixie Dust in the Gallery if you want links and info on using the powders. You can see some awesome work there too! Here's the link to it if it interests you:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=180182

Here's a link to the Devardi page of Pixie Dust colors:
http://www.devardiglass.com/pixiedust.htm

Can you tell I'm excited?

A great chart of generic Pixie Dust colors and their effect:
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/pearl/charts.htm

General Instruction:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...st#post3190570

http://www.borntobead.co.nz/2010/02/...r_mica_powder/

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/ar...hp/t-1667.html

http://www.rejiquar.com/rw/GlassBeads/peggy_starfish

http://www.heatherdoesglass.dreamhos...=53&category=4

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-11-23 at 10:09am.
Old 2010-11-23, 11:50am

I did not know they had pixie dust! I will have to add some to my next order.
Thanks!
Old 2010-11-24, 4:00pm
Oh my!

I have tried and tried to get this glass to work for me. So far I have: changed out the 02 tank, changed the propane tank, cleaned supply hoses for both the propane and 02, cleaned my torch, taken glass to my Dad's and used his torch which is a self-asperating propane torch and made small beads that I did not put through the kiln. Each one still appears to be burnt to one degree or another. Does anyone have any other ideas of things I could try?
Old 2010-11-24, 4:19pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeky clothespin View Post
I have tried and tried to get this glass to work for me. So far I have: changed out the 02 tank, changed the propane tank, cleaned supply hoses for both the propane and 02, cleaned my torch, taken glass to my Dad's and used his torch which is a self-asperating propane torch and made small beads that I did not put through the kiln. Each one still appears to be burnt to one degree or another. Does anyone have any other ideas of things I could try?
Did you happen to get any 71 SOP White? If you did I would encourage you to try making some spacer beads with it and working it cool. You will have to because it melts like butter. You may be working to hot to fast consistently. Please let us know.
Old 2010-11-24, 4:34pm
StudioMarcy

Dear Tweeky,
Usually when the glass does this, it's for one of two reasons...either you are too close to the cones, or there needs to be more oxy in your mix. My suggestion is working farther out and making sure your cones are tight and firm.

I teach a lot and I've found that often folks think they are working far out in the flame and it's true they start that way, but concentrating on other things, they bring their arms in. To remind them, I covered some of my zoozii press handles with aluminum foil (so they wouldn't accidentally catch on fire) and placed the press out as far as where the mandrel should be. one on each side of the flame on the table. It gives them a visual reminder of where they should be working.

I know that it's very possible that this is not your problem, but if it is, here is one solution to help you remember.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-11-24, 4:43pm
Oh my!

Well, in my despiration I have sent Natasha an email, again. For some stupid reason I feel that I may be bothering her with my questions. Isn't that just dumb? She has always answered my questions quickly and seems to genuinely care that I am sucessful with this glass. I am thinking of trying a hot head torch and seeing if I can get it to work that way. And if worst comes to worst, I hear they are getting boro in their next shipment.
Old 2010-11-24, 6:28pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Tweeky, I want to encourage you that Natasha is one jewel of a human being, and I don't think there is an end to her patience or to her giving nature. You just keep seeking and you will find... and one thing you will find associated with this glass is kind people who want to help you (like Marcy). I think that contributes to the loyal following it has.
Old 2010-11-25, 4:40am
Help i am on fire

i am hear to say the people at devardi are wonderful to work w/ i have bothered Natasha to much, she always is kind and sweet. not to mention answers emails asap. they got my business, so Natasha you are stuck w/ me.
Old 2010-11-25, 7:09am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi versus Other Brands

Please forgive me for waxing glass-a soph-ical but I was thinking of how each glass has it's own character and unique gifts... and some are delights and some can be stinkers (aka challenges). But if you like something special about the stinker you change your methods to be able to work with it... it doesn't change. Some Devardi is just like other brands in softness and melt, and some is very different, and learning to work it for what it offers is the key if you want that particular color. I have found that some of the colors/types do not like me and my ways, or do not like to be put with another glass that I want it with, so I move on and choose others.

If you are a new lampworker trying Devardi it will make it so much easier on you to use the Rod Heater and soft Devardi colors... it will help as you learn to effectively control and work in the torch heat. Many lampworkers learn how to wrap spacer beads consistently before getting into complicated creations. I would encourage you to choose one or two colors to start (like 71 SOP White and Intense Black) and make 30 of each as a goal. If you have any struggles so many people on this Thread will gladly help, just hollar.

And the last thing I can think of is when all the colors come in the mail, I do best when I make myself test, play and then create. I sure hope this helps or encourages someone .

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-11-30 at 1:15pm.
Old 2010-11-25, 8:29am
no more

The Devardi Skid landed on ABR(indiana) yesterday, Wednesday!
I'll need a few days to get it portioned correctly, but Devardi is "go" by next week.
I like that there are some colors that people really like in this product line!
I'll test some too! More info to come! Have a great Day!

Old 2010-11-25, 9:23am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_ABR View Post
The Devardi Skid landed on ABR(indiana) yesterday, Wednesday!
I'll need a few days to get it portioned correctly, but Devardi is "go" by next week.
I like that there are some colors that people really like in this product line!
I'll test some too! More info to come! Have a great Day!

Are you offering it there locally? Or is the skid-load just for you?
Old 2010-11-26, 10:05pm
<–I really do inks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeky clothespin View Post
Being that I am such an expert! HAA

I don't know if you were doing what I was/am doing... I too have spoken with Natasha tons. I find their glass to have a much longer melting time than the one other I have used (I am such a beginner, so I thought as "stupid is, stupid does" (I have never figured out what that really means)) I would offer some help.

Anyway, because I have wonderful ADHD, I want everything done right away, thus I was bringing the glass in to soon. If it didn't make the ball in the time my other glass did, I just increased the flame and brought it closer to the torch. From what Natasha said, and I understood, was this glass takes a while to melt (I'm sure there is a technical word for that), so might you be trying to rush it?

Please excuse this ignorant reply if I am way off base, there is to much to learn.

I do have to share this... When I told Natasha I couldn't handle the "hot dog" size rods they sent me, you can't imagine what she did! I asked her if I could exchange them for thinner ones and she said no, hang onto those and I'll see what I have that's smaller so you can practice, then go back to the others.

Imagine my surprise when this arrived today, so I could practice! Now this is a secret santa! Or she's telling me I REALLY need to practice, no matter, I thought it was so nice!

Imagination is a powerful thing!
Thanks in advance! Beth

Old 2010-11-27, 7:01am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Oh Beth, how exciting! That's just like what I've experienced with Devardi. As a new lampworker she helped me SO many times. And I found that some of the colors get almost rigid stiff if you rush them. So be slow, patient and work in a cooler flame than you think you should... plan a vacation as you work the bead, so that you go as slow as it needs! We all have things we can give to each other to help us as we go!

TWEEKY has any of this helped? We sure want to help you. Let us know!
Old 2010-11-27, 7:25am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Hi Everyone.. Big 'Welcome' to all the newbies...

TWEEKY... Could you post pics of the glass that is looking like it is burned, it might help us to see where we can help you more... I have a few colors that no matter where I heat in the flame I still get a 'matt finish' bead.. So with those colors I just use the beads as a 'matt finish' with out the etching cream, look at it as it saved you a step..

Kristina... I just ordered some of the Pixie Dust... Love the look it gives to the beads...
My understanding is that ABR will now be listing Devardi glass on their site...

Big Hugs, We all need them...
Old 2010-11-27, 7:51am

I was able to play last night for 5 + hours and will be starting up the torch again today about 4 pm. I will post pics when I get the monster stack of beads out of the kiln today.

Has anyone tried the opaque ivories? I was wondering if you get the good reactions like with other brands of ivories. I am almost out of the Vetro and Effetre light ivory. So it is time to order more glass!

Please post some pics of everyone's new work! I love seeing it!
Old 2010-11-27, 7:56am
Hot Glass Neophyte

How fun Houjke! Be sure to post what you work up. I am loving playing with it. I have been busy doing test Pixie Dust glass combos. I will post results when I get my new camera. I am in SUCH withdrawls without one! I wanted to do a dot bead for the Intermediate Challenge in the Gallery and my hubby had to take a picture with his cell phone for me!

Bethany, I got a reaction with silver wire and the dark Ivory or Butterscotch. I can't remember which. It reacted right now!

AND I had such a V-8 moment last night. I am on a Hothead, and was thinking about the Japanese Torches with their added oxygen... I bet Devardi would be FABULOUS when worked on those cooler torches. The Satake glass is $15 a lb and up, so the price is also a gift. I plan to research it and also ask Natasha about it too.
Old 2010-11-27, 9:25am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

I tried the ivory (not the light ivory) a couple of shipments back. Devitrified and foamed to beat the band.

Old 2010-11-27, 9:54am

These are all made with Devardi. I am really disappointed in the rainbow as it has huge incompatibility cracks all over it. You can't see them in this picture because I took it on the one spot that hadn't cracked yet. And when I looked at it again just now, there are more cracks. Every bit of this bead is Devardi so I don't know what's going on.

Old 2010-11-27, 10:58am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Oh Sonja that is so disappointing, and it's a beautifully done bead! I have had cracking with the yellow with other colors in the past. What is your base color?

Your blue set is beautiful too by the way.

Evelyn, one day I want to test the Ivorys and Butterscotch in different ways... I have made individual beads with them under Metallic Black I think, but no other combos. This bracelet was one... has anyone else worked them with results?

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-11-27 at 11:03am.
Old 2010-11-27, 11:49am

Thanks Kristina. The base of that particular bead is Devardi high density black/ The whole thing has cracks on it now both up and down and across and one of them is actually a curved crack. The only two colors that don't have cracks going through them is the blue and purple.

I have used the butterscotch and the dark ivory, the butterscotch can be a bit picky and lose its shininess, but I haven't had any trouble with the dark ivory.

Old 2010-11-27, 3:34pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

High Intensity Black is such a nice one. I used it on the ends when I did a large barrel bead recently of transparent rings and encased it in clear, and the transparent yellow crackled on me for some reason

I dearly love many of the different glass colors and types (SOP, Transparent, Opaque) and they work like a stroll in heaven, but the challengers are such a drag when one can't make them work! I want to go through and make up test beads of every type and color, like I should have been doing all along, and remove the ones that easily devit. Then do tests on what fights with what and know not to use them. It just takes time!
Old 2010-11-28, 10:18am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Okay everyone, I'm sorry, but I will be a Thread Hog again... I just got my new camera in the mail so I could take pics today. Here's what I have been up to.

FIRST I want to tell about discovering Frit Twisties... I am new enough to lampworking that I still get thrilled silly over new ways to play with glass! These were made with Glassworx 96 Frits, because the colors are so shiny and splendid... I heated the rod ends, rolled them in frit and heated and rolled until I had enough buildup, then I pulled and twisted to make these. They really made neat Twisties. You can see the vine and flower petals with the added colors.

For the vine one I used the Army Green, and for the Petals the Lipstick and the Dark Transparent Rose.

.•:*:•.

NEXT I made a Frit Bracelet and Pendant for a Christmas present, using the 96 frit and SOP Lt. Baby Blue. The Bi-cone shaped spacers are the Ocean Blue.

And LAST these are my first Pixie Dust creations... a Multi-colored Bracelet using SOP's and Opaque colors, and a Lilac Necklace using the SOP White. It was surprisingly hard to shoot because of the white and the iridescence of the Lilac glass pieces.

Sorry to be a picture-piggie, but I am so happy to be able to post pics again!
Old 2010-11-28, 11:07am

Clearly I am going to have to get some of the pixie dust. I have asked for cash for glass goodies for Christmas and that is definitely going on the list.

Old 2010-11-28, 12:27pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Sonja, did you see the encased focal in the Pixie Dust thread (post 4)
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=180182

When I saw that I had to get some to try. Now that I can get it on the bead, I want to try to learn to encase it and build a focal over it. It strikes me that you can use it like Dichroic, but without the fear of burning it off as easily?

Anyone have any info on that?
Old 2010-11-30, 9:27am
Hot Glass Neophyte

These are some new Critters from the Tutorial Workbook I did for BOC... is anybody working on anything these days? Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

.•:*¨*:•..•:*¨*:•..•:*¨*:•.
Old 2010-11-30, 9:41am

Thanks for the link on the pixie dust beads. Just makes me want some more! I hope to get some after Christmas!

I think the Devardi yellow may be a problem with the incompatibility. It seems if I use it with other colors that I have a higher rate of the dreaded cracks.

I think I will try the ivory colors then too.

Thanks for posting the pretty work!
Old 2010-11-30, 12:34pm

I am just crazy for the DeVardi Butterscotch! Worked fast and then cooled fast with a shaper, it has strange colorations. Can you see the rims on these disks? Like a deep taupe.

Rework it and reshape, a couple times and you get the warm honey tones, like in these beads!. Doesn't devit for me, or foam, but can be shocky as heck. I put a few rods into the toolbox kiln to prewarm and no problem! It does not curdle like Effetre Ivory though, it has a personality unique to the glass. Love it!!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi