No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-23, 4:29pm
Born Facing Left

Default Oxygen Concentrator Question

Is there any way to 'field test' an oxycon? For example, I've seen the odd one on Craigslist that looks legit, and is a fair price, but the thought of lugging home 3 or 4 hundred bucks worth of possible junk has always put me off.

So what I'm wondering is if there's any way to get an idea of the output without hooking the unit up to a torch? Say you plug it in....it chugs away, and shoots out "air". Is there any way to discern if the "air" is in fact oxygen?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-06-23, 6:53pm

There are indeed instruments available to measure the oxygen purity, pressure, and flow rate from an oxygen concentrator. Unfortunately, they are not cheap.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-06-23, 10:59pm
Born Facing Left

Thanks, Malcom.

Dang.

Old 2009-06-23, 11:25pm
PyronamixK

I rent mine out, Sherry. The only problem is that I'm in the US and you're in Canada and I don't know how that would work with customs and what-not.
Old 2009-06-24, 7:28am
Born Facing Left

Kim, it would probably be a customs nightmare, not to mention the cost of shipping. For a rental, anyway.

But my oxycons are dying, I'm in the market, and purchasing one from the states is not all that bad....I'm just in the early days of research on what to buy. I really don't like the two oxycons, I'd rather have one that's more powerful. I'm on NG, though, so that's a factor as well.

Old 2009-06-24, 6:06pm
PyronamixK

What torch are you running?
Old 2009-06-24, 7:10pm
Born Facing Left

A Minor. I'm pretty comfortable with it; the only other torch that I've ever tried was a mini CC, but it was on propane and oxy....hard to compare, you know?

Old 2009-06-24, 9:24pm
PyronamixK

You have a lot of options with the Minor because it does not have a lot of jets to feed and there is not much resistance inside. Go more on the LPM of a machine than the psi.

In other words, a high LPM machine with lower psi is going to serve you better than a high psi machine with lower LPMs.