Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-08-11, 2:31pm

Default Help! Bead Release Dried Up??

Hi,

Newbie here....

I know this info must be on here, but did a quick search and couldn't find it. I have a large bottle of Frantz Art Glass Bead Separator that has been sitting for about 3 months. It was all dried up when I opened it. I'm adding water but it doesn't seem to be mixing well. Does anyone know if this will work I do I have to through this out? Thanks all!
Old 2009-08-11, 2:34pm
Tweedle Dumb

I just add water and give it a good shake, but mine has never gone completely dry. Maybe just add a bit of water let it sit and soak it up a bit so it loosens up then add more water if you need to and shake it well. Careful to not thin it out to far, then you'll have to leave the lid off and wait for it to evaporate a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-08-11, 2:39pm

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I found my "backup bottle" of bead release...same kind....and its all dried up too! Ok, I am letting it sit for a bit!
Old 2009-08-11, 2:40pm
Tweedle Dumb

I also have used a stick blender to get big chunks broken down. But that was crappy release.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-08-11, 2:47pm

I throw a few steel ball bearings into my release to aid with the mixing.
Joan
Old 2009-08-11, 2:50pm
thinking4myself

Yep, add just a bit of water at a time, then stir/scrape the dried release with a mandrel or some other hard stick until it starts rehydrating. Then add water a little at a time until you get the consistency where you want it. Oh, and if you find the lid of the release is stuck on the jar (which happens to me because I'm a slob and forget to wipe the grooves off before I screw the lid back on the jar), turn the whole thing upside down in a bowl of warm water until it loosens.
Old 2009-08-11, 2:52pm

I throw a couple of old beads in mine to aid in the mixing. I once left an extra large container of my favorite release sitting on top of a kiln I rarely used and while firing it smelled a funny smell, melting plastic. The container melted and collapsed. Of course the bead release was completely dried up, so I chipped it out of the container, added water and in a day it was useable again!!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-08-11, 3:30pm
Unmedicated since '62

its really only just clay so if you add some water and let it sit for a while it should come good

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-08-11, 6:45pm

Yep my release is good as new after it sat for a while in the water! Thanks all for your tips! Told you I was a newb!
Old 2009-08-12, 12:54pm

You can also use a blender!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-08-12, 7:11pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

you beat me Paula- That is what I do I bought a cheap one at wallyworld and since I am famous for leaving the top off I add a teaspoon at a time (too much and you have to leave the top off all over again to let it dry out - or on top of a kiln LOL, Pam that is sooo something I would do!!!) I hit the whip button and I use an old spatula to scrape out every drop!!! I also save the last bits from my jars let them dry out and save them then I "make" new release!