Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-04-02, 2:20pm
Does my glass look 2 big?

Default In line Fan? Squirrel Cage Fan?

I am a newbie setting up a Mega Minor and upgrading my vent system. Now I have the fan box in window set up, I know it's not correct so I am buying pieces and parts to set up properly.

I purchased this in line fan
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100396544

But now I am wondering whether it's OK or if I should better return it and get a squirrel cage fan.
If so, can someone show me a link of where I can order one?

Not sure which one I need, I'd appreciate suggestions.

I don't torch very often but I am liking silver foil and probably can see me liking enamels soon. On the other hand I torch maybe 2-4 hours a week if I'm lucky.

Thank you so much for any help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-04-02, 5:09pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Can you give the brand name and model number?.... If its a duct booster fan, its not going to be enough to provide adequate ventilation. IF it is a true 500cfm fan it may be enough depending on what you use for a hood and ducting....

Not the best design with the plastic blades, but it could be acceptable...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-04-02, 6:42pm

Thank you Dale.
The maker is Suncourt, model DB208 500 CFM (I made sure not to pick to one that had the word "booster")
My set up will be a booth type, the hood is 24" x 24", it's a diffuser but looks just like a hood, will only be using the hood part. The actual booth will be 32" wide x 24" deep I feel I need a bit more elbow room.

I plan on making the booth about 20" high.

I am practically in front of a window, and the duct will go out the window, not much duct work needed.

The studio is 10' x 20'
There are 4 windows, and AC (I'm in Texas) and a door.
It is an independent structure from the house.
I will be running a Mega Minor with propane/oxygen tanks.

Thank you so much for ANY help provided.

Old 2008-04-02, 7:07pm
Gentleman of Leisure

hmm...

Suncourt site says that the DB208P is only 210 cfm at free air.... This is all it is!!!..... The 500 cfm IS a BOOSTER value and not valid for this application.........

http://www.suncourt.com/Inductor_Pro.html

This is the problem with Suncourt fans, everybody (Glasscraft) wants to use the booster value for their ventilation and not the free air value which is the accurate value.... Other than people misinterpreting the ratings of Suncort, there is probably not a thing actually wrong with the product if the specifications are applied correctly.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-04-02, 7:10pm

look at a vortex fan. i bought one on ebay and added a variable speed control. the hydroponics guys have it all figured out.......for a different reason!
Old 2008-04-02, 7:13pm

Well that settles it! Darn, wish they would actually specify both the Free Air and the Free Air CFMs at the Home Depo site.

Ok, plan B.
I'll take this one back, but then what would be the best next thing without going too high price wise? Should I aim for a squirrel cage?

I just saw the vortex fans, yikes, bit on the pricey side. Just bought my torch, hoses etc piggy bank is kinda sad.

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited by Olimpia; 2008-04-02 at 7:16pm.
Old 2008-04-02, 9:05pm

Hi, I have an 8" Vortex PowerFan, 747 CFM, which works great. Check www.mdhydro.com or www.bghydro.com. I understand CanFan has a new line out that is very compact; I don't recall what the price difference is, but I saw Hayley's installed and it looks like it's part of the ducting. Nice. Mine was about $200, but considering that it makes my torching area safe from the fumes, it's worth a thousand times more than that. It also comes with a power cord, so all I have to do is plug it in. Other fans have to be wired in. We found this much more convenient (and I have a very handy DH!). Good luck and keep us posted.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2008-04-03, 6:24am

Thank you Diane,
Pretty good!
Although I see on the same site a squirrel cage fane 800 CFM is $99 and a 449 CFM Vortex fan is $156.
My thought is if I can get 800CFM for less, why not?

Is there a reason othen than not as easy to install why not to get a squirrel cage fan?

Thank you all!

Old 2008-04-03, 10:37am

Squirrel cage fans are fine; I chose an inline fan because of the configuration of my bench to where we have the exhaust output. Had I used a squirrel cage, either I would have had to mount it outside (we didn't want to have to build a special enclosure for it) or it would have been exhausting too close to the side door which I keep open, defeating the 10 foot rule about keeping exhaust away from makeup air. Go for it!

-Diane

Old 2008-04-03, 12:41pm

Thanks!
I think I will!
I can fit the squirrel cage fan without much trouble I believe, and the exhaust will be further away than 10 ft. The AC is around the corner about 15 feet away.
This won't put such a dent in my pocket, they are selling right now for $99 plus the adapter from square to round is another 12.00.

Thanks!!

Old 2008-04-03, 12:45pm
Entropy increasing....

I've decided to actually get a squirrel in a cage next time. Those buggers can run pretty fast.
Old 2008-04-03, 1:28pm

LOL I needed that in all this confusion!

Old 2008-04-03, 1:59pm
da General

I chose the CAN Fan (like the Vortex) instead of the Squirrel Cage because it's quieter.

Also you mentioned AC but didn't mention what you are doing re: intake/make up air?

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-03, 2:06pm

Thanks Hayley, I thought the AC working would be enough intake/makeup air? If not I do have three windows and one door I can open.
Here is a diagram of my shop, it's mostly dedicated to my real job, stained glass but I think I still have enough room for my recent addiction, lampworking.

All the area in red is dedicated to stained glass.

Old 2008-04-03, 2:57pm

The A/C unit will not provide makeup air. Even if it has a vent feature it will still only provide a few percentage points of the volume you will need. The easiest thing would be to open the windows on the far side of the building or the door, but this can get rather warm in a Texas summer.

If you want to try to use the A/C for cooling, your best bet would be to pipe the makeup air from the window on the left under the tables and have it come up through vents on your workbench. See this post for an idea on what it looks like:

http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/20...-cold-outside/

This will help keep the cool air in since the hot makeup air is being delivered close to where it is being pulled out.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2008-04-03, 2:59pm

Another post to look at is:

http://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/20...esh-air-supply

Cheers,

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2008-04-03, 3:04pm
da General

What Paul said provided that the window is far enough away from where your exhaust ducting is on the outside. You need 10 linear feet or the fume your fan is pulling outside will come right back into your space.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-03, 3:16pm

Thanks Paul!
I understand. I think I might be able to actually run the duct along the ceiling, the red areas are not just tables, they are glass storage units and cabinets with glass machines on them so running it under them is not possible. One thing I am considering also is that my shop is on posts, leaving a space of around 12" under the shop where the torch is and around 18" on the oposite end, maybe running it under the shop might be actually easier?

I think for now I can live with opening the windows, I don't have much of an issue with heat, I thrive in it

Now when winter comes I'm a coward, 50 degrees is too cold for me. That's when I think I will start hurting. That will give me some time to figure the duct for make up air.

I found this inline fan that seems good, but now I am gun shy. Any comments?
http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php?product=111125

I assume I will need another inline fan in the duct for make up air?

Thanks Again!

Last edited by Olimpia; 2008-04-03 at 3:22pm.
Old 2008-04-03, 3:28pm

No fans in the makeup air. It will be free flowing based on the vacuum created by the exhaust. Your intake will need to be larger than the exhaust because of this. There are figures in the Safety forum and I think on Mike's site as well giving the free flow rate for square inch of makeup opening. I just cheat and open the Garage door and the outside door on the other side of the garage. That provides more than enough volume for me and we survived the Dallas winter, though my wife complained. It will be interesting to see how the summer goes.

I would looks seriously at doing the makeup from underneath the building in your situation then. Just be sure the to have ducting to move the opening more than 10 feet from the exhaust output. I wish I had a setup like yours. We have nowhere to build a separate shop until we move. Hopefully in a couple years we will be set up with much nicer buildings.

Old 2008-04-04, 10:38am

I think that Suncourt fan is a duct booster fan - it's designed to be used in conjunction with HVAC systems, not for a dedicated exhaust system like what we're doing.

I know you're trying to cut costs, but in the long run think about your safety. The less expensive squirrel cage fan you found above would be much better than the Suncourt one. Also, try to find a local hydroponics store; perhaps they have used ones for sale? And there's always Craigslist or other local classified ads.

Read the documents on Mike Aurelius' blog; he (and Dale) were very helpful last year when I was setting up my studio.

-Diane

Old 2008-04-04, 11:32am
da General

That's the exact type of Suncourt booster fan that I had to replace . . . you get what you pay for. You won't be able to find a new in-line or squirrel cage fan with 700CFM for $69.

In order to properly figure out what CFM fan you need, you have to know your hood size. There is a formula to calculate the appropriate CFM.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-04, 11:33am

Thank you Diane,
You are right! I am trying to cut costs, but it's not worth it. I will get the 800 CFM squirrel cage fan.
This is the one I want to get:

http://www.mdhydro.com/acshpoblexfa.html

My hood size is 24" x 32" which is 5.33 square feet, I think the formula is this number times 110? So I need a 586 CFM at least. But, will 800 be too much?

Last edited by Olimpia; 2008-04-04 at 11:38am.
Old 2008-04-04, 12:25pm
da General

you need a 667CFM fan without enclosure and can go down to 533 CFM with enclosure (2 sides and back baffle from hood to table top).

Formula is:
24 x 32 = 768 / 144 = 5.33 x 125 = 667 CFM

Also - tell mdhydro that you are referred by hayley from lampworketc.com and ask if they would give you a 10% discount (that's what they said they would do when I got my fan from them - that my referrals from the forum will get 10%!)

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-04-04 at 1:36pm. Reason: grammar!
Old 2008-04-04, 12:57pm

My view is more exhaust is better within reason. If your flame gets pulled in weird angles or you can't keep stuff on the bench it is too much, but otherwise you are just getting stuff out faster. I work with a lot of frits and powders and may play with some fuming later so I would rather have too much than too little. I think I figured using 130 x sq feet of opening.

Old 2008-04-04, 1:03pm

Great Hayley! Thank you! I'll will mention you for sure!

Yep, I'll get the 800 CFM in case I want to play with other stuff later on.

Thank you guys!!

Old 2008-04-04, 1:37pm
da General

They will prolly ask "Hayley who?" lol!. . . just mentioned that they told me that referral from LE will get 10% off!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-14, 2:11pm
addicted to dichro

O.k, I'm really confused. This fan the thread was started about does not match the model number for the information or picture Dale provided or the model number the poster gave.. The fan that DOES match is this fan... http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100080191 and Home Depot lists it as 500CFM boosted value and only 210 CFM free air flow just as stated here.

So how does that mean that this fan isn't actually 500 CFM? We are discussing two different fans here.

ETA: The fan the link is for is NOT available in Home Depot stores, only online. The fan the model number refers to can be purchased in the stores.

Last edited by mandyjw; 2008-04-14 at 2:23pm.
Old 2008-04-14, 2:45pm
da General

Because all those fans are BOOSTER fans - they only achieve the CFM indicated when they are used within a HVAC system. They have maybe 1/3 of the CFM when used as standalone fans - the free air flow is what you should look at NOT the booster fan air flow.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-14, 4:00pm
addicted to dichro

Thought I'd add here too... I found a site that give both free air flow and max boosted CFM values for these fans. The 8" Max boosted is 500 CFM but free air flow IS only 210 CFM. Bad idea.

But, the 12" fan is 800 CFM max boosted and 650 free air flow. That would be sufficient for a lot of setups.

http://www.atrendyhome.com/inlineductfan.html

Old 2008-04-14, 4:18pm
da General

Mandy - just want to give you a heads up that it was already difficult getting ducting for my 10" fan (standard size is 8" or smaller) so I don't know if you will have trouble getting 12" ducting for your fan. It is not recommended to use a smaller ducting for it will reduce the CFM of the fan.

|
|
|
|