No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-11-28, 5:13am

Default Air Supply Question

Hello

I am primarily a fuser but just took a torchwork class and have ordered a Mega Minor and oxygen concentrator. I plan to use propane which will be located outside. I have combed through the info on the forum to understand ventilation and really appreciate all the tips and ideas that people have so generously shared. I have decided to build a metal hood with sides because I like the idea that this will catch any stray shocked glass and run duck work out a small window. The fan will be located outside to reduce noise.
But I am confused about bringing fresh air in. I saw where it was recommended to bring the fresh air in "under the work table". In one picture I saw, it looked like there was a fresh air outlet directly in front of the torch. Is this what is recommended? Wouldn't it effect the flame? One thing I know for sure is that I just don't want an open air vent blowing under the table. I am in the mid-Atlantic and half of the year the air would be either way too cold or way too hot.
Thanks in advance for any insight/advice.
Michele
Old 2008-11-28, 8:28am
Gentleman of Leisure

Make up air can be brought in many ways.... Simplest is open door or window to outside.

The idea of bringing make up air in to bench top (from outside), under flame is that any really cool or hot air from outside will pass through the "contamination zone" (flame/combustion area) and pass on out through your hood...

The idea is to only move the minimal amount of "studio air" which has been either heated or cooled so studio stays comfortable all year long....

IF duct is places properly in relationship to torch, it should have no effect on torch flame...Biggest difficulty is having fan pull flame around if fan creates to much turbulence under hood...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-11-29, 2:09pm

I use a flapped dryer vent in an opposite corner. i live in chilly upstate NY so I can understand your worries about freezing cold. This works well for me. when the vent is on it drops the temp in the room about 10 degrees but I layer for the situation and it doesn't affect me.
Jen
Old 2008-11-29, 11:17pm
CindyLynneGlass

Ohhhhhhh you didnt mean the band Air Supply then huh?!

Old 2008-12-12, 2:04pm

I crack the door open behind me, and it's surprises how much air flows through when my ventilation is on. In the winter I put a small ceramic heater in front of the cracked door so I don't freeze!

Liz

Old 2008-12-12, 2:33pm
Ruebennesqueness Queenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggles View Post
Ohhhhhhh you didnt mean the band Air Supply then huh?!
my same mistake!
back to making love out of nothing at all!

Giving
a try!
Old 2008-12-22, 10:55am

Default These are all good sugestions

The best is the air intake under the table and the idea is that the air changes only ware you are working insted of blowing the heated or cooled air from your house OUTSIDE. When its just too cold and you want to make a big bead or something you dont want to get chilled you can block the intake as you would when you ar not working (SO THINGS DONT WONDER INTO YOUR STUDIO) And open the door to the bead room to the house. ALSO PUT A SCREEN ON THE OUTSIDE SO YOU DONT ENVITE THINGS ON YOUR LAP WHEN YOU WORK.

Old 2008-12-22, 9:09pm
Flamewoman

This is how I ran my replacement air. Here are the ducts that are at the back of the bench (30 in wide bench). I have 3 at the back of the bench, and one that is optional under the bench. I also have a window behind me and beside me that I can crack. Depending on the weather, I always open the 3 on the benchtop and more if its warmer. I almost always crack the window directly behind me an inch or two. I get temps where I live anywhere from 115 to 20 and always stay ok to torch. I have an air cond. and electric floor heaters. My hood is 30by30 and I have a 900cfm blower.

In this pic I hope you can see how the replacement air is ran in.My replacement air comes from outside near the ground and is more than 10 ft away from my exhaust.

Hope this helps. This system sure works for me.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-12-23, 5:53am

Default Nice set up Merry K

Make beads be happy

Old 2008-12-26, 12:44pm
FireSculptedCouture.com

Mary K's set up is one that I envy -- DH will help put something in like hers! LOVE IT!

site is not yet available