LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-10, 2:01pm

Default which torch would you recommend?

I have been working with a HH and Bobcat and would love to buy me a new torch Been looking at a Carlisle mini CC or perhaps a Lynx??? I would love to hear you're opinion
Thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-10-10, 5:48pm

I have a mini and I love it. I like that I can get a tiny pinpoint flame and a larger bushy one. I have worked on a HH, minor and the mini and I like the mini the best.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-10-10, 10:43pm

My first torch was also a HH, then I hade a minor and now I am totally in love with my Lynx. With two concentrators you can easily work boro. It is a wonderfull torch, easy to work with and great performance.

|
Old 2006-10-10, 11:12pm

I have worked on a mini and bobcat and if you really like the bobcat you may not like the mini. I don't like it as much as I do the bobcat it is alot bushy and I thought that it was hard to see were I am in the flame. I love the bobcat. The mini has alot more radiant heat too. Everyone has different likes and usually they will like the one they learned on the best other than a HH. LOL
Lori
Old 2006-10-11, 12:22am
one day at a time

I use a HH and a Bobcat. I have a Mini CC too but the only reason I don't use it is because it's in need of repair. (not a defect, an accident! )

Here's my comparison and I think if you are looking for more heat, I would definitely go with the Lynx:

Bobcat - a more narrow focused flame than the Mini, and hotter because of this. IMO boro melts faster and I can make some pretty big beads with it. I made a detailed 30mm boro bead in 15 minutes. I was pretty happy with that.

Mini CC - wider bushier flame than the Bobcat, and this torch is great if you are a big beadmaker (long beads especially!), and like sculpture, because this flame throws off a lot more radiant heat than the Bobcat. Radiant heat keeps your work toasty and there is much less chance of shattering from being out of the direct flame for too long. I love this about the Mini.

I'm glad I have both, because even though they both are in the "small torch class", they function differently.

Also, IMHO, you really can't have too many torches!

Last edited by Lisi; 2006-10-11 at 12:24am.
Old 2006-10-11, 2:36am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Hi Jenny,

First you have to wonder what you want from your new torch. Do you want to work small beads and maybe some boro, then either a minor/minicc or bobcat will do just fine. They run on just one concentrator. If you like to work boro and bigger beads then I suggest a baracudda. I had a HH first, switched to a minor, then switched to a lynx and I now I have a baracuda wich is awesome. You can adjust it as soft and gentle as a minor, and you can use both the inner and outer ring for a really big flame.

You are more then welcome to try it out here. I also have a minor, you could try that one out too, and a friend of mine has a lynx, I am sure she won;t mind you trying it out first, and another friend of mine has a Betta ( by bethlehem).

I would suggest you;d try before buying

Suzanne

Old 2006-10-11, 9:45am

I'm looking into buying a Betta myself. I've discussed a couple of questions with the company but I am interested in what a beader has to say.

I'm on a hothead right now and I actually love it. My only reasons for wanting to change is 1/ to get an oxidizing flame (I can reduce by using a welding torch) and 2/ because I can't hear a darn thing with the HH on, so I sing to myself. Apparently I'm not very good, according to the people who can hear.

BoniBell
Old 2006-10-11, 11:01am
<--- Time traveler

I highly recommend a Mini CC. You'll be happiest with it if you have two concentrators.
Old 2006-10-12, 8:11am

I chose a mini based on several discussions here and at Wet Canvas. It seems to be the best of the smaller torches for versatility. The only downside I've seen discussed is that it runs hot with only one concentrator.

For the mini with 2 concentrators, what lpm (psi) do you run them at?

I am acquiring materials to start beading later this year (I've got a mini), and I've been wondering about 1 concentrator that runs at 8-9 lpm versus 2 at 4-5. Any idea what difference there is?

Thanks so much
Lynda
Old 2006-10-12, 8:46am

So I can only use a mini cc with two concentrators? At this time I don't have the room for another concentrator Anyone? Please?

Old 2006-10-12, 9:12am
<--- Time traveler

You can run the Mini with one concentrator and it will work fine, but for some people the knobs get really warm when using only one concentrator. I'm sure it has everything to do with the oomph of that particular concentrator.
Old 2006-10-12, 10:01am

I started out with a Bobcat then later went to the Lynx. I wish I had saved my money and just purchased the Lynx first!

I can't begin to tell you how much better everything went after that! I can get a bushier flame on the Lynx...which I needed because my larger beads were always busting on me as I worked on them. After I got the Lynx, I didn't have that problem anymore. I believe it's because it has a bushier flame and seems to be hotter. I could melt glass quicker and my encasing improved as well. Although, I can still turn the Lynx down to a small point for detailing. If you are truly going to stick with this...if lampworking is something you really love...and if money isn't a really big issue, then I'd go for a bigger/better/hotter torch.

Old 2006-10-12, 10:07am
<--- Time traveler

I actually sold my Lynx because I preferred the Mini CC for radiant heat. Just goes to show, everyone's working style is different!
Old 2006-10-12, 10:37am

I started out with a Bobcat then later went to the Lynx. I wish I had saved my money and bought the Lynx first!

I can't begin to tell you how much better everything went after that! I can get a bushier flame on the Lynx...which I needed because my larger beads were always busting on me as I worked on them. After I got the Lynx, I didn't have that problem anymore. I believe it's because it has a bushier flame and seems to be hotter. I could melt glass quicker and my encasing improved as well. Although, I can still turn the Lynx down to a small point for detailing. If you are truly going to stick with this...if lampworking is something you really love...and if money isn't a really big issue, then I'd go for a bigger/better/hotter torch.

Old 2006-10-12, 10:45am
critter creator

Perhaps you should try GTT's Cobra?

Just kidding!!!
Old 2006-10-12, 11:16am
Missing presumed fed

C'mon. If you're going to get a Cobra, you need to get it with the snake paint job. Otherwise, it's a day without sunshine.

I'm hearting my Lynx (secondhand from Shawnette, thank you, dear), but I question whether it would be worth running it on only one concentrator. I'm using two. I know people do, and I know they get really, really huffy when other people suggest that they're not getting the benefit of the Lynx with so limited a supply of oxygen, but I suspect that a Lynx with one concentrator is basically a Bobcat. (I hear the Bobcat is a very nice torch -- haven't used one myself.) I can't speak from experience, though.

Last edited by Emily; 2006-10-12 at 11:20am.
Old 2006-10-12, 11:22am
<--- Time traveler

Emily - I'll back you up on that! I've run the Lynx both with one and with two concentrators, and there's no comparison.
Old 2006-10-12, 11:26am
Capp'in Fool

I love my Mini cc.....I have one oxycon and the knobs do get a little hot....but not too bad.

Old 2006-10-12, 12:41pm

Thanks everyone You've all been a great help !!! I'm going to think about it some more But seeing that I have room for just one concentrator (at this time) my possibilities are limited (I guess)

Old 2006-10-12, 1:10pm

GTT's COBRA!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE POWER, MORE POWER!!!!

I like it!

Old 2006-10-12, 1:40pm
yukue fumei

May I suggest the GTT Cheetah?
It has a wonderful wide flame and great heat but you can dial it down a bit to get nice detail. It does have a learning curve but nice small stringer work is possible.
I have a Mirage (Lynx centerfire) which I love for small beads and big marbles, but I prefer the Cheetah for making my regular sized beads

nagi

Old 2006-10-12, 2:05pm
Missing presumed fed

Yes, but -- she's limited to one concentrator for now, so even a Lynx is iffy, and anything bigger than a Lynx is no go. As far as I know, the torches that will run on one concentrator are the Minor, Bobcat, miniCC, National 8M (I think), Betta, maybe something from Knight burners but I don't really know, and maybe this new Minnow that Bethlehem is putting out. (Is the Piranha off the market? If it's still being made, put it on the list. I don't know whether the Betta replaced it or not.)

Did I leave anything out?
Old 2006-10-12, 5:23pm
daughter and I

The Betta replaced the Piranha. I love my Piranha and have heard that the Bettas are awesome. My Piranha might be for sale cause I just ordered A Barracuda

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2006-10-12, 11:47pm

So the Piranha also works great on one concentrator?

Old 2006-10-13, 12:28am

Glad I found this thread....as if I don't have two on another thread but this one sure gave out alot more information for me.
I am considering a mini cc or now the Betta. Husband just said order whatever you need so he's leaving it wide open. I just want a pinpoint flame, a quiet flame, something that doesn't break often and I don't know....just a good torch.
Mr. Smiley really seems to like the betta and there's a bunches that like the minor and the mini \
I'm in the same boat. Can only afford one oxycon..
Can I put that in the garage or does that have to sit next to you? Husband figures once it's set it shouldn't have to be put next to me....
But I don't know about that.
So....hope to have a decision made by weeks end...Crap that's like tomorrow.
I'll let ya know what I do
Irene
PS Where can I get a good concentrator from and what size...Do torches and oxycons come with instructions?
I'm sure I'll get it and say ummmm okay now what?
Thanks

Old 2006-10-13, 1:52am

Default mini cc

Hi Reenie, Tryed to pm you, but your mailbox is full. I'm way over the Ocean I live in the Netherlands. Here is the ABR link http://www.dichroicimagery.com/default.php?cPath=9

Good Luck

Old 2006-10-14, 12:41pm
Wandering Fool.

Just to jump in briefly on the Mini CC.

When I was looking to buy mu torch, I emailed Carlisle and asked them on the concentrator question.

The response that I got is "As for the concentrator, the 5LPM should be fine. However, the actual requirements are 5 PSI of pressure and 7 LPM of flow." So it'll work fine on one, but to shine a 2nd concentrator, or a slightly larger concentrator would be 'ideal'.

JP