No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-09-22, 7:20am
judejudejude

Default help using metallic black and dark silve plum

hi every one, i know this has been asked and answered before and i have been searching this site for 3 day now as well as all the suppliers that i can think of and can't seem to find the right place. i just received metallic black and dark silver plum and am on a lynx and just can't seem to get either of these to work as i have seen in some of the pictures you people post. i love both or these colors and the effects that can be had by them. all i get with the metallic black is an awesome pure shiny black, this one works like butter. as for the plum, i get a time bit of shimmer of color but no anywhere near what i have seen. i batch anneal and they haven't been in the kiln yet so maybe i have to put them in the kiln first. ????
please help me.............thank you.............jude
Old 2009-09-22, 8:00am
I practice alchemy!

I've worked both of those glasses on my hot head and gotten really great results. Since it works so well on a hot head, maybe you need to finish it with a pass through a reducing flame (propane rich). Hopefully, someone else will have more insights.

Celeste
Old 2009-09-22, 8:04am
Tweedle Dumb

Try the shards made with this glass, IMHO they work better than the straight up rod. I couldnt get anything out of it until i used the shards. No reducing required, just tack one on gently melt on, (I prefer mine raised a bit) it will go metalic on it's own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-09-22, 10:28am

I used to try to reduce my silver plum and never got decent results. Someone (Jen Geldard maybe?) told me NOT to reduce it and sure enough, the results were alot better when I turned my propane down.

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2009-09-22, 11:20am

Seems like the beads which show the most color for me are the ones that I've worked longest in the flame on my HH. No reduction seems necessary, but they seem to show more shimmers the longer they've been heated/played with for me.

Old 2009-09-22, 12:12pm

I think it's an oxygen flame that DSP likes. I haven't played with metallic black yet.
Old 2009-09-22, 5:45pm
judejudejude

thanks so much for the ideas. i will try all of them....
any more ideas would be great too.
Old 2009-09-23, 3:36am

Jude. I had the same issues when I first tried both dark and light silver plum. I received anice metallic sheen, but no color. I sent a message to Amber (NAOS).
Amber likes to use shards of this glass, and she prefers to used them RAISED. She goes on to say that the colors ( teal, raspberry) are easier to get when shards are raised because the heat used to flatten the shard also "burns" the metal out of the shard itself.

Heat the bead with the shard cool! Heat to a slight glow, take it out of the flame to cool it a bit then heat it gently and slowly again, in a cool flame. Watch only for a slight glow. When cooling it check for colors. You may need to repeat this a few times. Play around with it. After a while you should notice the colors.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2009-09-23, 5:28am
Formerly known as LT

I work off a cheetah. I have used both of these glasses and for me what worked best is to create the bead in a neutral to very slight reduction flame (working cool) and then when finished flash in an oxy rich flame until you see color. It shouldn't take long.

I have gotten the best results with raised stringer work. I have yet to play with the shards but they sound like fun.

Old 2009-09-23, 5:13pm
judejudejude

i tried these various ways. londa's way worked for me with the metallic black......thanks everyone. i still haven't had any luck with the dk silver plum but i will still keep trying.
Old 2009-09-23, 6:38pm

I can't seem to catch on the the whole adjusting the flame thing.
I simply roll the dark silver plum just under the flame, as if I were toasting a marshmellow.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2009-09-23, 7:27pm
judejudejude

wow donna, those are awesome. something else to try. i have to make me some shards.
Old 2009-09-24, 7:30am
Life is change. Love it

I work it at the tip of an slightly oxygen rich flame