No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-04, 5:17pm
Bernhard Riegler

Default How to get a gradient like a sunset

What is the best way to get a gradient - let's say I want to do a disk, where there is a ruby-red center and it blends into a yellow outer ring - something like a sunset. It should be a nice blending of the colors, but every time I try it gives me edges - I'm looking for a beautiful blending. Any ideas????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-04, 5:26pm

Have you tried it with transparents?

Old 2010-06-04, 6:12pm
Unmedicated since '62

transparents. and overlap the layers, start with the lighter colours and overlap - might be a little hard on a disk though

what about twisting two rods together, like a twistie but leaving one end red, that way the colours would flow from one to another - worth a try?

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-06-04, 6:36pm
sunscreen me baby

Here is what I would try with transparent color:

Using a thicker mandrel without bead release wind onto the very tip a blob of red. Make it round and thick with the very tip flat. Like an eraser pulled off the end of pencil would look. Then wind on more red to create a pencil tip. Now take your next lighter shade and going over the red pencil tip, wind on to cover it and add another pencil eraser blob on the end. Then the pencil tip. Add your next color and so on until you finish with an eraser blob of your last color. Heat the sucker up and pull it out.

I might have to try this!

~

Old 2010-06-04, 8:09pm

Thanks to the Loren II (Butterfly) class I just took [wow, wow, wow a genius instructor! - and at an amazing studio (FlameTree Glass, Atlanta GA)]... for opaque glass I would try mixing the red and yellow together in the flame (~ 0.75 inch dia gather) to make at least 1 new color that is between the 2 colors you are transitioning between (the more colors you mix between the 2 the smoother the gradient). Once mixed in the flame pull the new color back out into a 'rod' thickness (if you only want to mix one new color I would probably mix mostly yellow with a little red, but you can do a series with different percentages of yellow and red - I'm hoping they will result in shades between red, orange and yellow but glass mixing is not the same as paint so you will have to experiment). When the repulled mixed color rods cool... lay down your red layer, mix the first layer of your 'new transition color' into the interface with the red as you lay it down (heat and mush a little back and forth), then lay down as much of the transition color as you want without mixing into the lower layers, (repeat with any other mixed transition colors as desired), then repeat with your final (yellow) color (again mix the first layer of the yellow with the underlying mixed transition color)... you should get a diffuse gradient.

I hope the above is not confusing & good luck!
Old 2010-06-04, 8:54pm
Bernhard Riegler

Hey, thank you all for the awesome ideas - but I have to explain . . . I'm working with boro and I am making the humble pendants - now, my idea was to do one, where there is a red "sun" in the middle and transferring into a yellow outer ring. To see, what I am doing visit this link: http://www.bushbeads.com - this the kind of pendant I do. This problem is haunting me for some time now - if you have any ideas . . . would be suuuuuper. The best one so far, was using frit, but it's not quite what I want. Imagine a sunset and you know what it should be like . . . . . dreaming . . . keep it coming, friends . . . or better . . . fellow glass addicts!

Last edited by Onekura; 2010-06-04 at 9:06pm.
Old 2010-06-04, 9:03pm
Bernhard Riegler

Oh, and sorry, I think this question should be in the boro - room, but I'm new to this forum

Old 2010-06-05, 1:11am
Unmedicated since '62

ah, the dark side is for you - off you go

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-06-05, 5:31am
sunscreen me baby

Oh. Okay, be off with you then.... *sigh* another one gone to the dark side

But thanks for posting this. I really want to test my theory now.

~

Old 2010-06-05, 7:40am
Borovangelist

I think Anne's probably got the best suggestion for you. Though you could consider using transparent powders in the mix too.

Also, by using different ratios of clear, you can thin some colors to make less intense versions for transitions.

SuzyQ....I want to see pictures!

|
|