LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-05-08, 5:59pm

Default What would you love to know how to do?

This may be a silly thread but I would love to know what others would love to know how to do or be able to do sucsessfully. I am going to post three, maybe eveyone else will do the same. And if any one has any tips on how to do what people want to know they can post. Kinda like a potluck tip thread.

1. I would love to make perfectly striped beads (not the one that sprials around but diffrent color stripes.

2. Encased flowers know how but just cant get it right.

3. Pressed pressed florals, I only have one press and cant even get it to make a decent shape much less make cool pressed flower beads. Once again in theory I know how to make it work just can't do it.

I hope everyone wants to play. it's so nice to admire someones work and know thier human too.

Etsy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Flickr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-05-08, 6:34pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I would love to get encased florals down on a regular basis.. I can make a great bead and then the next bead will go to crap.. LOL
Old 2006-05-08, 7:00pm
Mary Lockwood

You guys are gonna laugh at me, but I can't use goldstone stringer.

I sure do wish I could figure that out. I LOVE the look of all those purty sparkles, but all I get looks like streaky brown shimmers. No sparklies at all. It is very frustrating.

I can keep the commercial stuff looking sparkly, but it is so sparse it's no good.

So, I encase chunks and pull my own, but they always look awful after I've melted them into a bead.

I did learn to bundle three full sized rods of goldstone filigrana together and make a twistie with them. That gives a bit more sparkle than the commercial stringer...but it still isn't what I want.

Of all the things I could have wished for...this is the one.

I can work dichro, can use cubic zirconias, all kinds of twisties and canes...but goldstone hates me.

~~Mary

Old 2006-05-08, 7:07pm

I wish I could manipulate COE's so I could use all the nifty soft glass colors.

Seriously though, I wish I could..

1. Make my hand stop shaking so my dots would be more precise
2. Do better scale patterns
and 3. Figure out what I want to make, EVER!
Old 2006-05-08, 7:58pm
Crispy Critter

-Ditto on the stripes, not swirls.
-Rake with a stringer instead of a tool.
-Masking...it totally makes me nuts trying to see the positive and the negative.
-Make canes that don't end in big wasted blobs at the end of the pull.

I could go on, but that'll do for now.

Old 2006-05-08, 8:31pm

What a great idea Rachel!

About the stripes take a look at that:
http://www.cauldroncreations.com/stripesHT.html
maybe it will help.
Encasing is just PPP.
And the secret of presses is that you cannot just make a round bead, press it and be done. You have to start with a small bead, press it then continue to add glass to the shape of the mold, until it is just a bit smaller than the mold. At this point start decorating so that the added glass is just about enough to fill the mold completely.
I also found out the hard way that molds are NOT as simple as they seem to be.
Hope that helped.

And my struggle is also with goldstone stringer. I get the same affect as Mary. Just dark brown no sparkle what so ever....
Galia

Old 2006-05-08, 8:46pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I wish I knew how to choose a series of background colors/patterns that would enhance my florals!!! They are just blah!!!! I'm thinking that creativity would die a lonely death when it comes to my florals!

Old 2006-05-08, 9:50pm

I am so excited to see everyones responses!!!
Galia thank you so much for the tips I will check out the site and try again with my press.
Keep them comming guys =)

Etsy

My Flickr

Old 2006-05-08, 9:59pm
Entropy increasing....

Perfect stringer control.
Perfect encasing.
Perfect dot placement.
More "preciseness" in general.
All possible presses.

I guess I want it all.
Old 2006-05-08, 10:27pm
Smile, it's contagious!

I'm still new and have lots to learn, but I'm sure lots of it will come with more practice. I have fun practicing, so I wont mention all the beady things I want to be able to do.

What I would really like to be able to do is to take decent pics of my beads... consistently! I have used a camera for a good 20+ yrs... it's not a new concept... photography just hates me, lol!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2006-05-08, 11:42pm

Default Goldstone Stringer

Of all the problems I have, and all of the things I can't but wish I could do, somehow I can make decent goldstone stringer that really sparkles. Here's what I do:

1. Get a clear rod to use as a punty.
2. Set out some goldstone chunks - I use the larger size, and cut them if they're too big. The size of a pea is pretty good, but if you're careful, you can use larger chunks.
3. If you have a rod warmer or hot plate, place your goldstone on that to preheat it. It's really shocky. (If you can't preheat it, then heat it in the back of the flame very, very gently.)
4. Once the goldstone is preheated, heat the end of your clear rod, pick up a piece of goldstone with your tweezers or pliers, and gently waft back and forth in the outer part of the flame so an edge just begins to glow. Then attach that piece to the end of your clear rod. Heat it in the back part of the flame till it's very slightly glowing.
5. Keep adding chunks of goldstone on top of each other, and don't forget to keep it warm! After a few chunks, very gently heat the goldstone till it's just soft enough to manipulate, and form it into a rod-like shape. Don't use the heat, but rather a marver or some other tool to shape the goldstone.
6. I add goldstone till I have a "rod" about 1-1.5" long. It's very important that the goldstone is not overheated! Nothing hotter than what is necessary to manipulate it, and it needs to be pretty stiff.
7. Then I take a rod of light amethyst and thinly encase. Once the goldstone is encased, you're okay to heat everything up and pull your stringer as you normally would.

The critical part, and I can't stress this enough, is that the goldstone must not be allowed to get very hot if it's not encased, and heat it only as much as necessary to push it into shape. If you get it too hot, you'll have stone without the gold (so to speak)!

I believe I read about this method in Corina's book, so credit goes to her. I've never had a problem doing it this way, and hope it works for those having problems. Let me know if this works for you!

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Last edited by Renee; 2006-05-08 at 11:45pm.
Old 2006-05-09, 2:40am

Thank you, Thank you, Renee!!!!
I will give it a go once more. I don't remember if I over heated it the other times but I guess I must have cause that is exectly what I got!- a stone without the gold...lol
Galia

Old 2006-05-09, 4:29am
<--- Time traveler

I was going to say "program in PHP/MySQL" but then I realized that everyone was giving beadmaking answers. I would love to have more precide control when placing dots. Maybe I need to lay off the caffeine! (Couldn't be PPP... )

Courtney
Old 2006-05-09, 5:51am

What I would love to know how to do?? Yikes! The list is endless. Starters:
-- Understand the "why" - I'd love to know more about the chemistry of what happens when we get the reactions that we do among various glass colors and other materials, such as frit and metals. Somehow just observing and keeping a good record isn't doin' it for me.
-- Use negative space effectively - I'd love to be able to stop myself from filling up every square millimeter of the bead with something.
-- Have perfect stringer control at all times, particularly the start and finish points, which tend to glob. Practice!!

Good thread idea, thanks!

JanMD
Old 2006-05-09, 6:47am

-predictable striking
-stringer control

That's the beginning of what could be a very long list
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2006-05-09, 9:34am
Floral Obsessed

Three things that improved my encased florals recently:

Don't trap a bubble in your plunged flower centre with a separate stringer glob.. if you don't cover the flower completely you'll get a "bend" in the petals. Plus it's an unnecessary step 'cause you can get a better effect by just encasing normally over the whole bead, plunges and all. I don't know why I didn't try this from the beginning.

I'm trying the 5mm rod spiral-wrap encasing now. I saw that encasing video and it seemed efficient. I've read Mary's old stringer encasing tut about 50 times too and apparently it's the same concept. It relies on the *exact* right placement of flame, rod and base bead so that the rod tip is COMPLETELY molten, but the base bead avoids the heat. I find this method is faster and actually causes less distortion than stripe-encasing! I'm catching more bubbles this way, though. I try "chasing" then out through the spiral but I often end up melting the channel closed ahead of me. PPP should fix that!

I've also started plunging deeper. Thanks again to Mary "Right to the Mandrel" Moth! My florals look way more 3-D now!

---

What I'd like to be able to do is make perfect stamens, like FireGlass on Ebay has... http://cgi.ebay.com/FIREGLASS-lampwo...QQcmdZViewItem . She gave some tips on a fabulous WC thread once (put a dot of clear on the tip of the stamen before melting so it'll open up) but I haven't had success yet. I gotta work on my clear ratio, maybe melt slower, make some better, bolder stamens...

I'd also like to learn how to "paint" with stringer, to make those delicate variegated raised floral petals and leaves.

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2006-05-09 at 11:49am.
Old 2006-05-09, 10:16am
Obsessive Torch Disorder

I would love to encase ANYTHING....
I would love to know how to make a watercolor flower bead...
I would love to be able to have SOME stringer control...

and...most important...

I would LOVE to NOT be so hard on myself and accept that this is ART and it doesn't HAVE to be PERFECT in every single way....

Can you LEARN that???

Lynn
Old 2006-05-09, 10:32am
ManBearPig

I wish I could use stringer. I can't do it to save my life. I can lay on simple stripes and things, but spirals, letters, curves, etc. I really struggle with.

And one time, just once, I want to encase something without a single bubble in it...

Old 2006-05-09, 2:58pm

I'd like to be able to work small. Can't make a small bead to save my life. Most of my encased florals are more like weapons than beads.

Old 2006-05-09, 3:06pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn's lampwork
I would LOVE to NOT be so hard on myself and accept that this is ART and it doesn't HAVE to be PERFECT in every single way....

Can you LEARN that???

Lynn

I would love to learn that too.. My husband says I am way too hard on myself.. What I think looks like trash, my family loves.. I see all the problems and they see the beauty in it but I think that is how most of us are.. our own worst critics..
Old 2006-05-09, 3:48pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I want to feel comfortable firing up and using my crucible kiln and glory hole. I also want to learn to work with Lauscha tubing more precisely.

I'm working on that first one this week. Weeeeee!

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2006-05-10, 2:02am
Likes to melt things

When I'm using goldstone, I tend to mix it in with other colours, rather than encasing. Just use it like you would any other colour - get a gather on the end of the mandrel, dip it in goldstone chunks (smaller ones are more likely to stick, which is handy for me because mine is all smashed up at the bottom of its jar), cover the chunks with dots of your base colour, reheat, and dip in more goldstone. Then just get another mandrel and smush it all up together. That way you can get it all evenly mixed, or you can leave it a bit more marbled.

Just don't ever mix it with ivory. Blech. It seemed like such a good idea at the time...

Three things I would love to be able to do:
- encase evenly and without bubbles
- blow hollow vessels (I tried this once, and the results went straight in my water jar - fun though!)
- marver evenly - all my beads end up either slightly fatter at one end than the other, or slightly triangular when viewed from the end.

Sadly I don't think anything's going to help me but good old ppp!
Old 2006-05-10, 10:29am
yukue fumei

I want to learn how to make glass exactly as I envision it, every time, perfectly.....
that or do the Being John Malkovich thing and be Lucio Bubacco! LOL!
Old 2006-05-10, 3:12pm
Feverish Little Minx

Here's my list:

1. I wish I understood the flame better - just when I think I've found the sweet spot, I lose it.

2. I wish I had better stringer control.

3. Encasing is still a challenge for me. I can encase stripes with out mushing them up, but only if I use a pale transparent instead of clear.

4. I'd like to learn how to take better pictures - I really detest taking photos and avoid doing it unless I need slides for an art show application.

I'm all out of clever.
Old 2006-05-10, 6:27pm
Goddess

I would love to know how William Morris gets this amazing crackle effect
http://www.wmorris.com/images/artwor..._artifact5.jpg

I've tried plunging a bead into cold water, but I really doubt that is what he does

Old 2006-05-10, 6:39pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Welcome back Teresa!!! Hope you are feeling well!

Another thing I would love to do.... own one of Teresa's frog/toads!!!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2006-05-10, 7:47pm
randomly active member

I wish I understood the chemistry of glass so I could predict those amazing reactions. This is so mysterious to me.

Stringer control would be nice.

The watercolor effect fascinates me. Wish I could do that ... or just layering colors in general.
.:.

Old 2006-05-10, 7:48pm

Making cube beads (without a press). I always get weird shapes and anothing like a cube, especially if it has any design on it and you can't add more glass.

Anything sculptural

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-05-11, 10:53am
one day at a time

I need to learn everything else except FAR beads (frit and round).
Old 2006-05-11, 12:30pm

Lynn and Rebecca...I just laughed out loud when I read what you wrote...cause I have problems with the same things and I could relate! Last evening I made a plunged floral bead and by the time I finished encasing it...at least an hour or more later...I could have used it to play billiards! Imagine wearing that thing around your neck for awhile...would give somebody a hump on their back and neck problems for the rest of their life.

I would just like to create beads that would make people say "WOW." Unfortunately, I'm a perfectionist and see all of the flaws in every one of my beads. I just wanna make some beautiful florals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, please help?!!??