Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-07-16, 11:11pm

Default What happened to my rubino??

Hi, I've been making sample beads of the colors I have and batch annealling them. I'm on a hothead. I made a white bead and "scribbled" on it w/ a rubino stringer, working cool and out in the flame. It stayed a pretty pink color. I made a rubino encased white stringer, used it for petals and encased in clear. It stayed a pretty pink color. I made a rose flower with the encased stringer, nice pink color. I then made a whiteheart bead with rubino. It was a nice, deep pink/ruby color. Then I batch annealled everything. When I pulled them out, the beads made with stringer looked the same. But the whiteheart bead is now an opaque purple. A better purple then I get out of edp. But Purple?? Can anyone tell me why it turned purple?
Thanks,
Kelly
edited to add, Oh yeah, any tips on how to keep it red, not purple.

Last edited by lurvey; 2006-07-16 at 11:14pm.
Old 2006-07-17, 5:07am

That's my question as well. I sometimes get all the dots but one to turn red why. Is that darn thing still clear? I clean the tips of my rods and strike the glass .
Old 2006-07-17, 2:43pm
Contessa Glass

I really hope someone comes up with an answer for you, I usually get a great color w/rubino, but once in a blue moon it happens to me too. I always thought that maybe I accidently burned it in spots, but I never found out for sure. Thanks for posting this!

Through great effort and hard work, a precious dream comes true

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-18, 1:24pm

I'd like to know why I get ugly brown...and I DO mean UGLY.

It's getting to the point that I hate Rubino and won't use it. Bummer!

Old 2006-07-18, 1:54pm
yukue fumei

Hi Barb-
the brown can appear when the flame is too rich in propane or the rubino is overworked--try increasing your O2 or decreasing your propane and hopefully that will help

Kelly-
I don't know if this will help you any, but when I kiln struck some rubino rods they turned a beautiful purple. When I reworked it in the flame, it turned back to clear, then pink again. My guess is that it went past a certain cycle in the color formation, but I don't know enough of the chemistry of glass to be certain.
Old 2006-07-18, 2:00pm
Experimentalist

There's a thread in my eGroup right now, specifically on Rubino. The variety of colors achieved in the pictures the members are posting is amazing.

Laura

Old 2006-07-18, 2:09pm
Smooches!

Laura,
What egroup are you talking about? Is it another forum that we could go to & learn from?

Thanks,
Miss Kate

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2006-07-18, 3:13pm
Experimentalist

It's one of eBay's groups... but we're not as keen as some groups to up the numbers so we stay rather low-key... we're extremely non-competitive... ha ha ha.

It's called The Mellow Bead.

Let me know if you need help finding it.

It's a private group, so you just ask for an invite, but if you have a zero feedback for eBay, send me a PM in here.

Cheers,
Laura

Old 2006-07-18, 3:39pm
Smooches!

Thanks Laura. Was just wondering.

Miss Kate

Old 2006-07-18, 3:41pm
Smooches!

whoops, hit enter too soon. Was trying to get the newspaper out of my Golden's mouth. He's always got to bring me somethin, whether I need it or not.

Anyway - does this other group have any suggestions to getting the most "punch" out of this color?

Old 2006-07-18, 3:56pm
Experimentalist

Hm... if you want me to go ask that question there, I can. What do you mean by "punch"... I've seen everything from pink to rust.

Laura

Old 2006-07-18, 3:58pm
Smooches!

Looking to keep that pretty pink color.

Old 2006-07-18, 4:13pm
Experimentalist

Ew (ha! Not a fan of pink). Okay, let me go ask.... will be back shortly.

Laura

Old 2006-07-18, 4:25pm
Experimentalist

Here's one response so far: "Work it on the cool side, high up in the flame...don't use a reduction flame, use a more oxy rich flame...*shrug*...works for me."

Old 2006-07-18, 4:34pm
Smooches!

Laura,
You're a real peach! I'll try this!

Old 2006-07-18, 4:36pm
Experimentalist

That same person also said a lot depends on your base color.

Old 2006-07-18, 4:37pm
Experimentalist

She says: It also depends on what colour they're laying the rubino over...I haven't had the best of luck putting it over dark ivory, the light ivory isn't too bad. Opal yellow it stays nice and pink...over copper green it can go black really quick if you're not careful.

All the glass with high metal content will be more problematic...

Old 2006-07-18, 6:42pm
Smooches!

Hi Laura,
Thanks for all the info. I want to keep it that nice pink & use it with some of the purples, and the ivory's. I guess I'll try the light ivory first. I wonder if there's a chart somewhere where the moretti glasses are listed by metal content.

I'll try & do some research & let you know if I find one.

Thanks again!

Old 2006-07-18, 7:10pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Ivory will cause a nasty brown reaction if you try to melt the rubino into the ivory at all. Same with most of the "special" colors. Must be the metal oxides that are used. Coral does the same thing, anyway.

Opal yellow will cause the rubino to go a bit peach if you melt it in. This can be wonderful! If you make a rose cane (opal yellow, encased in rubino, pull into stringer) with it you get a lovely peace rose effect.

White will keep the rubino pink. The thicker the layer of rubino, the darker and richer the rubino will be.

Periwinkle (my favorite!) under rubino will make the most wonderful deep magenta.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2006-07-18, 8:11pm
Experimentalist

Ooo, I love magenta.

Old 2006-07-19, 7:16am

Many thanks to you all who posted answers here for those of us who are having problems with Rubino! Great tips! I'll give Rubino another whirl this weekend and hope I am able to achieve some nice colors and not the gly brown!

Thanks again for sharing!

Blessings,

Old 2006-07-19, 9:20am
More glass...more glass..

What I'd like to know is why I seem to get black spots in my rubino (e.g. on dots or petals) over white.

On my last bead I was able to heat it higher up in the flame to get them to go away, but they're still annoying. Does this happen to anyone else?

(And yes, I always work rubino on the cool side).

Thanks!
edz

( Nothing available right now )

(Nothing available right now)
Old 2006-07-19, 4:32pm

Wow, lots of great tips. Thank you. I will keep trying. But I think first I'm going to have to make those canes mentioned, they sound great. I hadn't really thought about making them over anything other than white.
Kelly
Old 2006-07-19, 7:40pm
FKA Stacia

Regarding the Rubino flowers, all pink, but one. I hate when this happens. To prevent this, I pull rubino stringer and make my flowers from that. Not sure why is works, but I don't have that one petal or flower that stays clear.

Just a really fussy color. Good luck
Stacia
Old 2006-07-21, 7:53am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2remember
What I'd like to know is why I seem to get black spots in my rubino (e.g. on dots or petals) over white.

On my last bead I was able to heat it higher up in the flame to get them to go away, but they're still annoying. Does this happen to anyone else?

(And yes, I always work rubino on the cool side).

Thanks!
edz

hi edz-
I get these when my propane is too high...try increasing your O2

hi Kelly-
new eGroup--sounds cool!
I looked back at my notes and I kilned the rubino on this schedule:
ramp up kiln to 968 degrees F for 15 min.
ramp up to 1050F for 30 min..(quick ramp--it took around 10 minutes to get to this temp)
ramp down slow 150F/hr to 968F for 15 minutes
ramp down slow 150F/hr to 750F for 15 minutes
ramp down slow 150F/hr to 680F for 15 minutes
ramp down 200F/hr to 500F shut off kiln.

I used a conservative ramp down that you probably don't need for rods but I thought, what the hay, might as well anneal them as well.
hope that helps!
Old 2006-07-21, 9:16am

dancing Salamander Thank You .............