No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-30, 6:10am

Default Goldstone and Bullseye

Are they compatible? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2012-12-30, 7:12am

I haven't had a problem with 96 COE & Goldstone. I think Goldstone has a lot of lead in the glass. Why not try it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Back in my day, we had nine planets.
Old 2012-12-30, 10:24am
Lover of Life

I found this old thread on the subject, which seems to confirm my understanding that if you buy goldstone chunks and crush it for frit, or encase and pull stringers, it will be compatible with whichever glass (soft at least) that you are using. Of course, if you buy premade goldstone stringers or rods, it would only be compatible with the COE of the glass that is used in the stringer/rod. Here's the thread if you want to see more:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2040

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2013-01-03, 11:18am

Thanks for the replies. I pulled a stringer from chunk and then incorporated it into a floral bead (deeply embedded). No cracking so far so all must be good. Thanks!

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2013-01-05, 6:19am

Here's my experience with it - and there's a really old thread somewhere that confirms it.

Some brands are not compatible. I had tried some from one vendor ( sorry, I don't remember who for sure) and it was absolutely not compatible some cracked soon and some later.

I think it was MaryBeth who recommended Kugler. I bought chunks through Hotglasscolor.com and they work well.

I have beads from several years ago with encased - some deeply - with this glass and they at still intact.

Kugler Coe is listed in he 92-94 range so that probably helps.

Additional observations: if you use Schott clear, I don't recommend that to encase the stringer, it's not as compatible and will break so much hat it's not worth it. Also raised stringer with that combination isn't very strong. I had some break off even though it was well attached. Also even using the BE clear to encase, I get small cracks sometimes along the exterior of the stringer. It can be a little brittle to work with, but with the exception on the raised stringer encased with Schott, it hasn't caused any beady deaths.

Also remember, if these colors work for you, that they have blue and green "goldstone" colors in their line of rods.

Last edited by LyndaJ; 2013-01-05 at 6:23am.
Old 2013-01-06, 12:42pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Yes, I use the Kugler goldstone on BE and it works well. I can't find the old thread so I managed to dig up an pic:

The glass is one of BE's special production colors. I used one of the BE clears to case the goldstone.