LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-01-06, 10:04pm

Default Uses for the stamped ends on mandrels?

Looking for uses on the last 2" of stainless tig rod.
I have at least 3lbs and hopeing they have another use besides the scrapyard.
Old 2013-01-07, 12:03am
Chief Creative Goddess

I would use them in a bead display!
Drill some holes in nice wood, pop those babies in and voila! I make all kinds of beads with larger size holes, so....I know the 1/16's would work for the 3/32, and so on....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-01-07, 6:32am
Miss my BoBo Griff

Also if you ever put any cz's in your beads they are great to glue the cz to the end so you can push the cz into the bead. You always know the pointy side is up and an easier time applying to the bead.
HTH
ChrisAnn

Old 2013-01-07, 6:48am

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisann View Post
Also if you ever put any cz's in your beads they are great to glue the cz to the end so you can push the cz into the bead. You always know the pointy side is up and an easier time applying to the bead.
HTH
ChrisAnn
Perfect!!! I have been using old mandrels that are a little bent! I really like your thinking!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2013-01-07, 8:24am

I love the ideas that other's have used. I also got rid of a couple of pounds recently; took my box of dead ends and stainless steel scraps to a recycler and got enough money back to buy some more glass!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-01-07, 9:27am
Gentleman of Leisure

I just leave the stamped end on mandrel and have it as more "length".... You might be wasting mandrel length by cutting them off, once you get used to the feel of it, it really does not matter if they are on end of mandrel ...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-01-07, 10:41am
honorary bead lady

until someone isn't thinking and dips the wrong end

Don't laff it happened at Glass Stock!
Old 2013-01-07, 4:14pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
until someone isn't thinking and dips the wrong end

Don't laff it happened at Glass Stock!
I work in the middle of the mandrel so the which end is dipped makes no difference to me. In fact, I usually have the tabs removed and then it doesn;t matter. I get twice the life from the mandrel.
Old 2013-01-08, 6:16am
PyronamixK

I like to grasp the tab on the end with pliers when removing the bead from the mandrel.
Old 2013-01-08, 6:32am
Formerly FishBulb

I like using the tab to grab the mandrel with pliers when I put it into the kiln. I've had the tab ends on my mandrels ever since I started; I bought the mandrels from a local glass store where they make them themselves, so I've gotten used to them.

If you don't like to use them, Julie had a good idea about selling them for scrap.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2013-01-08, 6:55am
PyronamixK

You could find an art class (high school or university) and ask if any students could use the cut ends in a project.

You could drill a pattern holes into a board that would accomodate the diameter of the tab and would be not quite as deep as their length and insert the tabs so that the tops were even and have an interesting surface upon which to roll some beads. You might want to epoxy/glue them in so they don't lift out.

You could hang on to them until you find a great use for them and get around to doing it, but then you run the risk of never doing anything with them and feeling guilty. I think the selling them for scrap and using the money to buy glass idea is a good solution. And in the future, unless you just hate the ends, you could leave them on and avoid the problem of what to do with the cut ends all together.
Old 2013-01-08, 7:29am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
I like to grasp the tab on the end with pliers when removing the bead from the mandrel.
This!

L-111

Old 2013-01-08, 1:57pm
Formerly Thetabird

Could you use them in your tumbler to polish stuff?

How I lost 50 lbs

Old 2013-01-08, 4:58pm

I just figure that stamped end into the overall length of my mandrels. Cut 'em, grind 'em, dip 'em! Oh, and I do use some of those to mount CZs. The ones used for CZs, I don't grind the ends, just leave the ends flat.

Kirsti
Old 2013-01-09, 4:08am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
I just leave the stamped end on mandrel and have it as more "length".... You might be wasting mandrel length by cutting them off, once you get used to the feel of it, it really does not matter if they are on end of mandrel ...

Dale
same - i just make sure i dont dip that end, i cut the lengths into four equal pieces

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy