Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-30, 10:05am
Jacqueline Parkes

Default Where to purchase this tool

Does anyone recognize this tool? A lampworker friend sent me this picture but she is not sure who makes it, thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-12-30, 10:12am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Looks like a Jim Moore stamp:
http://www.toolsforglass.com/store/c...tml#HandStamps

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-12-30, 10:14am
Jacqueline Parkes

I thought so but not quite. They different a bit.

Old 2012-12-30, 10:18am
Capp'in Fool

could it be from http://www.leonardolampwork.com/index.php?p=home

Old 2012-12-30, 10:21am
Salt Box Beads

That might be an easy one to carve yourself out of graphite in case you can't find one?
Old 2012-12-30, 10:36am
Jacqueline Parkes

No it is not from Leonardo either.

Keep trying folks hehe

I would much rather purchase it than fuss around with making one right now, thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 2012-12-30, 11:15am
I fart diamonds

http://www.perlenpresse.de/epages/63...gories/Stempel

But you can make your own with some heavy gauge wire (or a bent mandrel). I'll see if I can find one I made and take a pic.

Old 2012-12-30, 11:22am
I fart diamonds

Ok. Couldn't find the spiral so I made a new one a took this pic (all in less than 5 mins!)

You can make any design you like. I have triangle, square, spiral, zigzag...

I save the tiny mandrels (.045) I use for making earring beads once they're bent and just use them for these and other stuff. (poking, dragging, etc.)

Last edited by shawnette; 2012-12-30 at 11:25am.
Old 2012-12-30, 11:35am
Jacqueline Parkes

Shawnette, thanks for posting the pic. I just had a thought........you know the wig wag tool for wirework? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now where did I put that thing....

Old 2012-12-30, 11:46am
I fart diamonds

Made another with a tighter spiral. The only tools I used are small needle nosed pliers and wire cutters.

Old 2012-12-30, 11:48am
Jacqueline Parkes

What type of wire and what gauge? I have all the wirework gadgets here as I use to make wirework jewelry full time.

Old 2012-12-30, 11:58am
I fart diamonds

I use bent mandrels, .045", which is a little smaller than 18 gauge. The wire needs to be somewhat stiff. I don't think it really matters what kind, other than I wouldn't use silver. That would be an expensive tool, lol.

Old 2012-12-30, 2:20pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Woah, great idea to use the mandrels, thanks!

Old 2012-12-30, 4:37pm

I have seen this sort of tool on Ebay and other places for those peeps that use the wax seal stamps... Some of them are made of brass and would lend themselves very nicely to glasswork. You can even order fairly reasonably priced taylor made ones from some companies too.

It is one of those things I have thought about, but then the laziness jumps up and slaps me in the face I am put it off till later LOL

Nat

Old 2012-12-30, 5:17pm
Lampworkaholic!

Another one, but obviously not exactly the same one:

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...ducts_id=95883

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-12-30, 5:34pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I think Shawnette was on the right track - isn't this almost identical?

http://www.perlenpresse.de/epages/63...ucts/23_3-0002

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2012-12-30, 7:52pm
Melody of Glass

Similar but in graphite.
http://artistryinglass.on.ca/SPIRAL-DESIGN-PUSH.html

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-12-31, 7:19am
Peerless Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Made another with a tighter spiral. The only tools I used are small needle nosed pliers and wire cutters.

I've done the same thing with old bent mandrels. I have several spirals, and a few other shapes. I heat the mandrel to cherry red and bend with strong needle nose pliers.

I must say that's a great spiral, Shawnette!

Old 2012-12-31, 12:47pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

I think Shawnette should sell them!! hinthint...I would certainly buy one. I have tried and can never get a spiral like that one.
Old 2012-12-31, 1:16pm
Jacqueline Parkes

yupp she should!

Old 2013-01-09, 6:49pm
I fart diamonds

I was in Harbor Freight the other day and picked up a 1lb pack of .041" Stainless Steel Lock Wire:

Easier to shape than the mandrels and pretty cheap. The regular price was $7.99 and I had a coupon for 20% off.