No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2015-05-22, 4:46pm
Queen of the milo field

Default Woodstove in studio?

Can you heat a lampwork studio w/a woodstove? Propane stored outside, of course, & oxycon.

thanks

dj
Old 2015-05-22, 5:18pm
Ready to hit the road

I don't see why not. My studio is open to my living room, and I have a woodstove in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-05-22, 6:09pm

If you have powered ventilation for your glass work station--and you should-- you run the risk of pulling smoke and fumes from the woodstove to your work station and you.
Old 2015-05-22, 7:31pm
honorary bead lady

I do, But I have to make sure a window is open Or I will back draft the flue and fill the shop with smoke!
Old 2015-05-22, 8:06pm
Queen of the milo field

Yup, the smoke was one of the things I was wondering about.

Hum. May have to check the condition of the one in the barn; it's an outside stove & I'm inclined to think it might be a tad big. Since I've been heating the house w/woodstoves for about 40 years we have a variety not in use. And then, we have left over concrete blocks so I could always toss together a little house for one of the others & just use a blower in to push heat.

All this is early planning stages, mind you. But I've got a burr under my saddle for a Guest Bunkie/Studio addition

dj
Old 2015-05-23, 2:59am
Entropy increasing....

We had one in the garage for years. Actually, in various garages. It works really well. Wood heat is so nice, just quietly radiating serious heat. I miss wood heat. Not the mess, of course, but that heat that just radiates to your bones.
Old 2015-05-23, 4:14am
kinda torching....

If you did decide to put one in the studio, you could start your fire a couple hours in advance to get a good heat soak into the metal and room, then snuff the fire out and relight it after you cut the ventilation for an extended lunch break. Putting the fire back out when your ready to start torching again. Kind of a pain in the ass but might work for you?

Old 2015-05-23, 4:31am
Phill

I think if you have separate make up air for the wood stove going directly into the fire box and separate make up air piped right to your torch bench the two systems should not interfere with each other at all.

Of course you will want to test them four ways from Sunday and ensure that each exhaust chimney has plenty of clearance and you will want to practice safe fire starting habits of getting the flue nice and toasty to ensure proper draw up the pipe.

But as long as you know how to operate a chimney (something I was never taught specifically as a kid and have had to learn piece meal over the years ) you should not have any problems working the two systems together in the same room.
Old 2015-06-06, 12:11pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

I had a woodstove in my studio, 700 ft square outbuilding and removed it in favour of a pellet stove. A lot less work, the same nice dry heat, and no ash floating around the studio after I cleaned out the stove and munging up the glass. It pulls combustion air directly from the outside and a 40lb bag of pellets heats the studio for 2 and a bit days. I also like that I do not have to buy a seasons worth of spilt wood in the fall I can buy 5 or 10 bags of pellets at a time.

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2015-06-06, 3:24pm
Borovangelist

If I had the time and money to tear apart my studio, I'd do one of these:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...t-Mass-Heater/

|
|