Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-01-13, 6:12am

Default Trying my boro-wings

I invested in a second oxycon after Christmas and got it connected to my cricket yesterday, what a difference using two oxycons, like night and day.

But I hear the boro calling, I tried making two simple schnaps glasses yesterday and I must say I see the potential in boro, these are the first bigger things than a small bead I have made of boro. about 1cl glasses.

not the most fabulous glasses in the world but its a start, and I have ordered some tubing in different sizes and more boro colors and clear.

so what do you think?

Old 2012-01-13, 7:10am
Run Free Sweet Boy

a cricket is mighty small and narrow flame for trying blown work and boro. I would move up to at least a minor

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-01-13, 7:32am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Looks like you did alot of coilpotting-I love it. Just need a bigger base so they don't fall over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-13, 9:03am

That is a great little 'fancy shot glass'. You will find it frustrating to blow glass on the narrow flame from cricket, but with that being said I blew allot of small vases on my lynx (which is bigger than a cricket but still a narrow flame) and it got me started. I did allot of practise with smaller tubing getting different shapes and adding color. You do learn allot about the process even though your shapes and sizes are limited with the width of the smaller flame. At Christmas I got a bethlehem bravo, which has a wide bushy flame and so far I am liking the results. Having a wider hotter flame is better but not always a necessity if you keep it small.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-13, 11:13am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb tarry View Post
At Christmas I got a bethlehem bravo, which has a wide bushy flame and so far I am liking the results. Having a wider hotter flame is better but not always a necessity if you keep it small.
I love my 'cuda, and it's great for hollow work with that big bushy flame, but even when dial in a sharp, laserlike flame it's not the same... I still miss working solid stuff on a GTT. One day I will get a mirage and then I'll have the best of both worlds, it'll be "choose a torch" every time I go out to work. What a dilemma

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-01-14, 5:20am

I tried to make a small glass with tubing today and you are correct that the flame from my cricket is a little to small for big work but I can at least do small things

A new torch is on my list, but not for quite some time Im afraid, my laptop broke down last week to so thats top priority right now

Im thinking about getting a lynx perhaps

Old 2012-01-14, 7:05am

I'm amazed at what you are doing with your cricket, and I love what your making. You go Adam!

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2012-01-14, 9:58am

If you are going to progress to blown work don't go to the lynx save up a little more and get a torch that has a wider flame. The lynx it a good torch very hot but a narrow flame which limits you to solid sculpture and small blown work. Just my opinion. But if you do your research you will make a good choice on where you want to go with your art.

Old 2012-01-15, 10:41am

I feel that my cricket is a little to small to do any actually usefull glasses

and I can probably forget to do any boro marbles with it

but maybe pendants and such

I made this small glass today, I have a lot to learn about off mandrel creations

Old 2012-01-16, 6:57pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Yes, and you are going about it the right way. There is a very big difference between your first two pictures in post #1 and your glass above in post #9. Keep it up, Dude.