No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-09, 2:54pm
And silence is golden

Default Vintage Glass ID needed

I was gifted with an interesting glass when I was on my mission to find the perfect green glass this past year. The tag on the glass only reads "Vintage Glass COE96". I am assuming that this was the sender's way of labeling her glass. It is a lovely, pale mint green color, with the same frosty appearance of a lot of CiM glasses. However, this frostiness is an indication of air spun into the glass. It is not your usual round glass rod. It is a pentagon shape, (5 sided) rod with a hollow center approximately 1/16" in diameter. It does not melt in a regular propane torch flame very well. As a matter of fact, it doesn't melt at all. It literally bubbles up and crumbles. I managed to encase the crumbs in clear glass, and it resembled the "baking soda" technique. Here are a couple of photos. Is anyone familiar with this glass, and what it is used for? I am assuming that it might be a Japanese glass that works best in the cooler flame of an air-burning torch.

Old 2011-01-09, 2:59pm
Live and Let Live

The shape and 'vintage 96' designation make me think it's German glass from a seller who used to do 1 lb. bundles of assorted colors. Can't recall the business name at the moment... she stopped selling a while ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-09, 3:05pm
A True Woofer

It was from Jess at Phoenix art glass. She bought a ton or so of vintage glass and tools and sold them. I have some of that green stuff. It sucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-09, 4:57pm
And silence is golden

There must have been some use for it, of some sort.
Old 2011-01-09, 5:07pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
It was from Jess at Phoenix art glass. She bought a ton or so of vintage glass and tools and sold them. I have some of that green stuff. It sucks.
Yes, Phoenix... that's the one I was trying to think of.
I don't know if I have any of that green but the other colors I've played with have been okay.

Maybe it wants to be frit in ocean-type beads?

Old 2011-01-09, 5:32pm
Rare Florida Native

Interesting about the shape and centered hole in the middle. Wonder if it could have been somehow used in making pressed beads in Europe in the old days.

Old 2011-01-09, 5:36pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Ann View Post
Interesting about the shape and centered hole in the middle. Wonder if it could have been somehow used in making pressed beads in Europe in the old days.
Maybe you are right Charlotte.
Old 2011-01-09, 5:40pm

You can cut, polish ends and make into buggle type beads. Looks like satin glass. Looses it's 'satin' if you try melting it.

Old 2011-01-09, 5:47pm
sunscreen me baby

I have some too. It's gorgeous worked. It looks like the seeded glass only with even smaller bubbles. Probably my favorite color of all time. But! It's a major pita depending on the rod. You can't tell until you have it in the flame either, lol. I preheat in my curling iron heater or kiln and even then it still pops and breaks. If you are feeling very patient, try it

~

Old 2011-01-09, 6:01pm
Salt Box Beads

I bought some from Phoenix art glass also. It was used for making buttons I think and it was shocky as all get out.
Old 2011-01-09, 6:47pm

Yep, it's from Phoenix and if you are veeeeeery, veeeeery patient and willing to heat it veeeeeery slowly, you can get some really pretty beads from it. I have a bead that Jessica actually made with the glass, I'll try and take a pix of it to post.

Old 2011-01-09, 6:48pm

It also came in pink, white, and amber colors but I think the green is the shockiest.

Old 2011-01-09, 7:11pm
And silence is golden

Wow Carol! I would really appreciate seeing an end result.