Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-05-02, 5:08am

Default Hello, help needed with chipped boro glassware

Hi there, noob here, I have some chipped glassware (Boro) Is it possible to remove or improve or flatten chips in borosilicate rims with the use of a blow torch? I have the necessary retort stands and clips and eye protection etc?
Any help appreciated,

thanks
Old 2012-05-02, 6:04am
ManBearPig

A blow torch won't get hot enough to melt borosilicate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-05-02, 7:51am

Really? what kind of temperature do I need to do that? thanks
Old 2012-05-02, 11:25am
ManBearPig

An oxygen/propane torch. Something that gets over 3500 degrees.

Then you have to have the proper tools to handle the glass, and a way to anneal it when you're done.

You would be best off finding a glass blower in your area and paying them to do it. It would be a lot cheaper than trying to get the equipment to do it yourself.

Old 2012-05-02, 11:34am

I see, I mean , I should have known. We point bunsen burners at these all the time.
I guess I thought it would be easy. If the glass beaker costs us 1.00, I doubt going to a glass blower would be any cheaper than buying a new one.
Old 2012-05-02, 11:52am
Pyromaniac

A minor burner will melt boro but requires oxygen and propane.
Cost: $140ish + regulators hoses oxy propane etc.

A hot head will soften boro and should get hot enough to "flame polish" rough edges and with some patience even smooth small chips out. If I recall correctly the "working temperature" of boro is around 2200-2300 (f), but the softening point is 1500 - which is well within the hot head's reach (A hothead is actually typically around 2000 degrees if I recall correctly)
Torch $40.00 small propane cylinder: $9.00.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-05-02, 12:51pm

Blow torch, do you mean something like a victor acetylene/oxygen torch? If so it would actually be too hot, but it could be done. However without a kiln to pre warm, anneal, and cool in, the piece would most likely break.
Old 2012-05-02, 1:48pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
I see, I mean , I should have known. We point bunsen burners at these all the time.
I guess I thought it would be easy. If the glass beaker costs us 1.00, I doubt going to a glass blower would be any cheaper than buying a new one.
Oh yeah. If you're talking about a beaker or something, just scrap it and get another.

Old 2012-05-02, 7:05pm
Borovangelist

It may wind up not being worth the effort, but try with a plumbers torch. It'll take longer, but it might work just to polish out the sharp spots.

I'd only try it on the lip though, not the body of a beaker.

|
|
Old 2012-05-03, 6:51am
Pyromaniac

A good plumber's torch is about equivalent to a hot head. It may be too reducing not to permanently discolor the glass though. That's a problem with a lot of single-gas torches, you can't adjust flame chemistry - just flame size.

On another note, I was bending 3 mm boro rod using one of those silly japanese torches so yeah... probably enough heat.

Old 2012-05-03, 7:18am

thanks for all the input. Here in the UK, blow torch can mean a couple of different things, but I was thinking of a DIY blow torch which you use to strip paint:

Not particularly designed to be as hot as can be, I see available also better quality ones available around £30 - £40. 60 dollars?
Old 2012-05-03, 8:19am

i not sure if anyone has mentioned this already but when you are repairing a broken piece you will have better success in fixing it if it is slowly brought up to around 1000 degrees f. Usually in a kiln. The reason being that some pieces that have cracks or chips from being dropped and you don't see all the stress and when you apply a focused source of heat the crack just gets bigger. If you really like the piece take it to someone who has a kiln and such for repair. If its a piece that you don't really care about and just want to experiment with I say try it, because boro is a type of glass that can take allot of abuse.
Oh and post pictures we all would like to see how it goes. good luck

Old 2012-05-03, 8:49am
Pyromaniac

^^ what she said.

Old 2012-05-09, 7:17am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
thanks for all the input. Here in the UK, blow torch can mean a couple of different things, but I was thinking of a DIY blow torch which you use to strip paint:

Not particularly designed to be as hot as can be, I see available also better quality ones available around £30 - £40. 60 dollars?
Nowhere near hot enough.