Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-06, 12:04pm
Burning through glass

Awesome! They'll be here when you need them.

I wanted to share an different design I've been working on (finally had a chance to play as well!). Here I've pressed the glass into a graphite mold made by Weaver (http://stores.ebay.com/WeaverInd/3D-...=p4634.c0.m322). This top is about 3/4" wide by about the same height, and coupled with one of my resin filled sterling disk bases.

These top tools work great for pushing the glass into molds.

This one was pressed into a shallow bronze Pakistani jewelry mold, and again coupled with a base disk.

There's no limit to what you can do!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2011-07-06, 7:15pm
Master Procrastinator

WOW! Those are amazing!

Old 2011-07-06, 8:36pm
Mr Brutus RIP

renee, those are both beautiful!! Is that first one cleo?
I LOVE that pink and see so many get that color.......NOT me!! LOL

Beautiful rings!!
sue

Old 2011-07-06, 8:39pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Very pretty Lea!
Renee, I thought it was rubber LOL It looks really cool

Old 2011-07-07, 4:58am

There is a lot of great eye candy and inspiration in this thread. Renee, I for one really like the black finish. I can't wait to hear your report on it! Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2011-07-07, 7:50am
Burning through glass

Thanks ladies!

Yes, that pink swirly top is made with Clio on a white base and encased in clear. I can't decide if that shape is a "flame flower" or "ice cream cone"!

Jeri, I did just hear back about the black ring;
"The rings are colored with a powder coating that is then heat cured. In normal use, they will not chip or flake for a long time. In addition to the normal quality tests, we do our own in-official testing here (yes, we wear what we sell), and none of the ones that the girls have been wearing everyday for the last four months have chipped or scratched. " Sounds promising so we'll see!!

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2011-07-08, 2:49pm

Default Fever!

Something new.....totally ring fever!
Greetings
Felicitas

Old 2011-07-08, 9:51pm

Beautiful ring tops, Renee!! And Felicitas, I love the set you posted - fabulous colours!

(ring top mandrels, nuts, & beads *****
for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-07-09, 3:55pm
learning by doing

A few more from me.
Attached Images

Old 2011-07-09, 5:44pm
Mr Brutus RIP

wow, karen they are beautiful!! I especially love the second one!!

I have a few more. A cheeseburger, murrini and a pumpkin I'm so all over the place but having tons of fun!!! LOL
Attached Images

Old 2011-07-09, 9:56pm

Yay! Aren't they all fab - I'm away at a course at the moment, and I'm really itching to make more!!

for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-07-10, 6:52pm
learning by doing

Can't stop making them. Here's one for today.
Attached Images

Old 2011-07-10, 7:17pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

These are all gorgeous! I've been on the fence about trying this, and you all have convinced me to try it. Now I've got to get everything ordered, and hope I can make rings as lovely as yours. I can't wait to have my own ring too.

Old 2011-07-10, 7:20pm

Oh my Karen, that's beautiful!!! Do try it Roberta, it's real fun

for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-07-11, 3:49pm
Burning through glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post

I have a few more. A cheeseburger.......
SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!! OMG Sue! ....CHEESEBURGER! Love it!! So, what you need to put under it in a layer element is some kind of burger wrapper to hide the screw (maybe for the pumpkin too)...what would be stiff enough yet paperlike to put under it? Hmmmm. Lemme think on it.

Karen! That's soooo fab!!!! What a gorgeous little topper!

These are all soo awesome! I'm loving all the creativity! We need to start a thread in the Gallery! Someone do the first post honor

Thanks everyone for your wonderful compliments on my humble recent offerings .

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2011-07-12, 9:02am

I just came accross this thread, I'm really interested in the info about all the different systems.

there are some really lovely designs here,

I have Sabine's silver ring and I love it. I am also just a tiny bit addicted to making the tops!

this is a design I've been making quite a few of, I felt it was pretty different to what was out there already. round isnt my favourite shape...
(pictured on the stainless steel ring from Sabine)

Last edited by MadelineBunyan; 2011-07-12 at 9:06am.
Old 2011-07-12, 9:43am

I do so love those, Madeline

for tuition (UK)
Old 2011-07-12, 9:48am

Thankyou Sabine, that means alot to me

Old 2011-07-12, 5:15pm
Master Procrastinator

Madeline, those are great! I especially like the purple one. Was it made just on the mandrel or did you use the top? Very cool!

Old 2011-07-13, 1:12am

Thanks Lea,

I just used a 2mm mandrel with the nut the way Sabine showed (though Sabine, I think I'll be onto you for some threaded ones soon, a new style I tried last night were coming loose!)

Old 2011-07-13, 5:05am

I want that black stainless ring!

Old 2011-07-13, 6:22am
Mr Brutus RIP

Madeline, Wonderful, so pretty!!

Renee, too funny! Yes, a "wrapper" would look cute! LOL

Old 2011-07-13, 6:50am

somewhere in the etsy lab blog, there was a bit about fusing plastic bags together,you put about 6 layers between greaseproof paper and iron it.(smells nasty, probably not healthy, need a 'well ventilated area'!)
the resultant 'fabric' was a bit like tyvek, and because its plastic, you can cut it up however you like. I made a flower, I bet that would make a fantastic burger wrapper material.

Old 2011-07-13, 6:58am
Mr Brutus RIP

sounds neat, what is greaseproof paper? never heard of it.......
sue

Old 2011-07-13, 7:15am

erm...you use it for lining cake tins and things when baking. not sure what you'd call it over there! but basically it just stops it sticking to your iron and ironing board...I'll try and find a link but I favourited it on my old laptop which has died

Old 2011-07-13, 7:20am

a quick google later...
http://etsylabs.blogspot.com/2007/05...astic-bag.html

Old 2011-07-13, 11:32am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
sounds neat, what is greaseproof paper? never heard of it.......
sue
Probably wax paper. That's what it sounds like anyway . Or maybe parchment, but wax paper would "stick" better if ironed.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.

Last edited by squid; 2011-07-13 at 11:34am.
Old 2011-07-13, 11:53am

parchment. you dont want it to stick, you want it to not stick! its just to protect your iron etc, then you take out the fused 'fabric' from in between.

Old 2011-07-13, 11:54am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Ah ok - you aren't adding the paper to it - you are protecting your iron. Yeah, parchment.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-07-13, 11:57am

I feel as though I have hijacked...back to ring tops!

I finally got around to doing a bunny on something other than a bhb
these are only the first few, think the second batch in my kiln now is better.