Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-06-12, 11:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
LOL! No, you reeeeeeally don't want to see that, lol!
Sure we do.....On YouTube
Old 2011-06-12, 1:45pm

Okay they did not turn out like the rest of the beads I am seeing here lol. They are kind of a milky opaque pinky amber color. Not sure what I did wrong, but I will try and kiln strike them again the next time I do boro. I'm wondering if its because I layered it over clear instead of just using it as is?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-12, 2:05pm

Sonja,

The milkyness is normally haze. You need to burn that off with a hot, oxy rich flame.

Any you have seen of mine are normally layered over clear and the most recent set had a Dwarf white center, then clear, then Mai Tai Pink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Okay they did not turn out like the rest of the beads I am seeing here lol. They are kind of a milky opaque pinky amber color. Not sure what I did wrong, but I will try and kiln strike them again the next time I do boro. I'm wondering if its because I layered it over clear instead of just using it as is?

Old 2011-06-12, 2:14pm

Okay thanks Laura. Can I heat them back up in the kiln and burn off the haze and then stick them back in to soak? Sorry for all the silly questions, this stuff is totally different than 104!

Old 2011-06-12, 3:57pm

You should be able to preheat them in the kiln and reintroduce in the flame to burn off the haze and then replace them in the kiln.

Oh yes ... the boro is totally different than 104 but sooo much fun.

Old 2011-06-12, 4:32pm
He can do the origami

Sonja,
I would also try bumping up my kiln to 1180 even.... I have done that as well and struck the Mai Tai pretty easily. Like Laura said the milkyness is just haze, it would be worth it to try and burn it off. I would also let them ride through a couple of annealing cycles, it seems like Mai Tai absolutely loves being kiln struck for long periods of time very hot.

Good luck!
Old 2011-06-12, 7:47pm

Okay I will give it a shot next time around. I only get about one day a week to torch if I'm lucky but will give it a try the next time around. Thanks!

Old 2011-06-14, 10:53am

The other option to burning off the haze is to build it up with lots of reduction. Then your beads will be blue/green, with the color on the surface.

This is regular Mai Tai Pink, a paddle that Paul made with LOTS of reduction on the surface, then kiln struck. VERY different effect!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-06-14, 4:26pm

Default snoopy dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Sure we do.....On YouTube
Oh OK!!!
try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAF7P...eature=related

I think that is me in the dress? LOL!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-06-15, 5:00pm

I made a couple pieces with Mai Tai yesterday. I soaked them for 1 1/2 hour at 1150. No pinks or purples, just amber. Did i do something wrong?

And can I put them back in the kiln to try to strike again?
Old 2011-06-15, 5:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagerbs View Post
I made a couple pieces with Mai Tai yesterday. I soaked them for 1 1/2 hour at 1150. No pinks or purples, just amber. Did i do something wrong?

And can I put them back in the kiln to try to strike again?
Yes ... absolutely put them back in again. You can even bump the kiln a tad more say 1165 for 30 minutes to an hour. Amber is usually right before the pinks and purples come!!

Good Luck.

Old 2011-06-16, 12:08pm

I have a friend that likes to test his amber-purples by making a small marble, putting it in the back of the kiln, and checking it every day for color change. FOR A YEAR! Seriously! He says you will see some really interesting things this way, I for one do not have that kind of patience. With the MTP, however, it can take a couple of kiln cycles if you did not heat the bejeebus out of it to begin with. What kind of torch are you using, Mamagerbs?

Old 2011-06-16, 1:24pm

I still have a lb. of Maitai and 3 of MegaMaiTai, all for 50 per lb. Check Sales Rack for details

This was leftover from GAS, and I see you all are fans of the color.....so just thought I'd mention it

Old 2011-06-16, 5:08pm

I used a Nortel Midrange at a rental studio nearby. I am (impatiently) waiting for my vent and new circuit for my kiln to be completed in my garage to use my brand new Redmax! I'll try to strike it again in my kiln once I have it all set up.
Old 2011-06-20, 1:14pm

Okay I put warmed them back up, tried to burn off the haze in an oxygen rich flame and put them back in the kiln at 1150 for over 4 hours. Nothing. They don't look much different than the first time around. and the second one I tried this time around, over white, is a very pretty transparent light yellow.

Old 2011-06-20, 2:37pm

Sonja, that is weird. You should be getting something from the Mai Tai Pink if you have restruck them in the kiln. Where did you get this and when? I can track down batch numbers that way and re-test a stick here at the factory.

Also, are you sure it's Mai Tai Pink, and not the EXP that is on the sale page at Glasscraft? That one is a transparent pink that does not strike, it was a precursor to the Pink Cadillac.

Old 2011-06-20, 3:55pm

Thanks Jenny. This is what I have on my tags that I use to label my glass. 1759 Mai Tai Pink 33 Tag. I copy this from the invoice. But I will double check my invoice when I go in to work since I keep all of my paperwork at my day job.

Okay I looked through my saved email invoices. I got this from Frantz and this is the line on the invoice in reference to this.
1 x Mai Tai Pink 33 Coe TAG Glass Rods (622010)
Trautman Art Glass 1/4 lb

Last edited by SilverRiverJewelry; 2011-06-20 at 3:59pm.
Old 2011-06-20, 3:56pm

I will take pics as soon as I have a chance to set up my lightbox, I have been working overtime so haven't had much time to do anything.

Old 2011-06-20, 6:16pm
He can do the origami

Sonja,
Sent you a PM
Old 2011-06-21, 11:47am

I sent you one back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
Sonja,
Sent you a PM

Old 2011-06-23, 10:57am

Ah, yes - that is definitely the Mai Tai Pink. (I was alarmed to discover there were older experimental glasses I couldn't even remember being sold by another distributor; if I can't remember them it's hard to answer questions, lol!!)

Otter is becoming my go-to guy on Mai Tai Pink questions, I am sure he's getting you closer to what you want.
THANKS, OTTER!

Old 2011-07-02, 7:09pm

Finally got pictures. These have been in the flame twice and probably sat at 1150 for a total of 6 hours. You can see its trying to be pink lol. I can't get the haze off it either. The ones that came out of the kiln today that Magpie glass sent me a rod off look like they might be better. It was interesting because the rod she sent me turns a deep pink/burgandy color when I put it on the rod rest after making the bead, and the one I used for these has a very pale yellow bit at the end. I made several from each rod so I will see if they are the same or not, same flame, same amount of time in the kiln (except for the time resting while I was making the next one of course!)

Old 2011-07-03, 7:55am

Hey Sonja,

I sent you a Mai Tai Pink and a Double Mai Tai. The darker rod is Double Mai Tai. (I thought I labeled them ... but may have forgotten in my hurry).

The Double strikes up in the flame and then a little more in the kiln. You should be able to get some pink/purple with that.

I don't know how you do boro on an M5 ... even on my M15 it is slow to me. Guess it's 'cause I learned on tanked first. You must be a verrrrrry patient lady!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Finally got pictures. These have been in the flame twice and probably sat at 1150 for a total of 6 hours. You can see its trying to be pink lol. I can't get the haze off it either. The ones that came out of the kiln today that Magpie glass sent me a rod off look like they might be better. It was interesting because the rod she sent me turns a deep pink/burgandy color when I put it on the rod rest after making the bead, and the one I used for these has a very pale yellow bit at the end. I made several from each rod so I will see if they are the same or not, same flame, same amount of time in the kiln (except for the time resting while I was making the next one of course!)

Old 2011-07-03, 8:44am

If your looking for the vibrant purples/pinks you gotta get rid of that haze before you attempt to kiln strike this color. Use a very hot very hard driving flame on the torch and heat the $%^& out of it Should be just about clear when you are ready to box it. I use both the regular and the double Mai Tai. The double may be best for your setup as it strikes easily in the flame.
Old 2011-07-03, 1:33pm

Wonderful advice Larry ... I'm afraid that Sonja can't get that super hot "heat the bejezus out of it" phaze on the one 5 lpm oxycon.

We've been chatting on PM at length and it all of a sudden hit me that I remember she was working on an oxycon and a baby one at that.

I can get color out of the Mai Tai on my M15 but it takes longer and not as vibrant ... switch to the tank and "life is good".

Old 2011-07-03, 9:23pm

Ahh thank you. And yes Laura you did label them for me lol. I did try and get the haze off but it wasn't happening. I will be saving for a second oxy con, in the mean time I will give the double mai tai a try and see what happens. And yes, I am pretty patient but boy, it gets really hot waiting for those beads to melt lol!

The second set (still on the mandrel) is a bit better, I played with it a bit longer and I can see more pink but still pretty orange. Well, its all all a learning experience and I am having fun playing anyway.

Old 2011-07-04, 8:00am

Glad you are having fun. Hopefully the dbl mai tai will give you some quicker results.

If you strike it real close to the cones it hazes over to a quick, opaque purple!!

Old 2011-07-07, 1:37pm

will give it a go. Not sure if I will get to torch this weekend or not. Am hoping to give it a try anyway!

Old 2011-07-26, 1:48pm

My rods are clear and the tip where I used it is clear too the beads came out blue gray.
do i need to cook it in the flame more?I made some DAP at the same time and did them the same and got nice brite purple.
G.
Old 2011-07-26, 4:45pm

Grey/Blue Opaque? Sounds like you need to burn off the silver haze. My MaiTai rods are kinda light yellow transparent. Got a picture?