Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-03-07, 9:56pm

Default small boro pendants - possible on Nortel Minor with Oxycon?

Hello - need some boro people to give me feedback.

I have a nortel minor that I love. I use an oxy tank. I can make small boro pendants on that set up now. I want to get off the $40.00 a month oxy tank set up (and hauling the damn things and getting them filled with even more $$) and get set up with an M-15 from Unlimited Oxygen. I have a friend who has an M-10 and a Nortel Minor and I've played with that and the oxy flow is very very different - more fanned out than on a tank and it could not handle small boro pieces.

Now, I posed this question to Unlimited Oxygen staff, but I want to hear from the boro peeps - does anyone have a Nortel Minor with an M-15 and can still work small boro pieces (pendants, marbles)?

Thanks all!
Old 2012-03-08, 5:37am
Run Free Sweet Boy

yup.. not a problem

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-03-08, 6:11am
Pyromaniac

^ what Candace said.

I started out working on a Minor (well I actually started on a hot head but I soon graduated!), but then early in my boro burning career I HAD to have a Barracuda. I found I used the centerfire almost exclusively for pendants and such while working on concentrators (I had 2 5 LPM machines hooked up), so I might as well have not bought the bigger torch! The minor is very under-rated when it comes to Boro - it's actually a very capable torch.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-03-08, 9:54am
THE PEN IS BLUE!!!

What about a cricket?
Would i still be able to do boro with one M15? I really like the heat and colors i get out of my tanked oxy but...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-03-08, 10:14am

I run a M15, with a nortel mini milon have no issues working boro pendents at all and I get pretty good colors.

Now I do see my limits, like my wine bottle stoppers are really really pushing it with the set up. Get like a 3 inch ball of glass, I've got the propane and oxy wide open and it still takes forever to get it all heated.
I would like to upgrade someday, but as I'm still learning that can wait a bit.

Little stuff no problem at all, I worried the same but it's Soo worth it. Was driving me batty having to stop for oxygen, and the cost was insane. I figured out Id break even with the oxycon in 3 months.

Last edited by untamedrose; 2012-03-08 at 10:18am.
Old 2012-03-08, 8:13pm

AWESOME YOU GUYS!!!! Thanks - that's it - I'm getting one!!!!! Yippity doo dah!
Old 2012-03-09, 10:05am

I work boro just fine with my Minor and M15.

I tried the Cricket on the M15 and could not seem to get it to work properly. Then I was told that the Cricket is designed to run on less oxy. So I stuck with my Minor and recently purchased a Mega Minor for when I travel to classes.

Minor
Old 2012-03-11, 10:35am

we have a mega minor, I did lots of boro work on it until we needed to get a second torch so we did not have to share

#C-151
Old 2012-03-12, 2:43pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Add a bit of $$ and get the M-20
Old 2012-03-17, 4:28pm
Intermembrane Time Travel

^^^ I agree. On my lynx a single m20 (no holding tank) leaves me wanting to push the torch more, but I can def make small - medium pendants on it ( http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a...dantsfront.jpg ), and your torch might very well like the m20. It will also allow you to set the lpm down to what you could have max with the m15 and allow for better purity this was which ='s more heat. That is if you can either wait to make the extra 100 it takes to get one, or if you could actually get it straight away. I must admit even though I am wanting/needing some kind of tanked for heavy wall tube. But what it (or maybe any various comparable oxycon) does, it does pretty well imho.
Old 2012-03-17, 7:16pm

GTT triple mixes are oxygen hungry. They really dont shine on concentrators.
Old 2012-03-26, 1:45pm

For those who don't know of it, Pipyr has a tutorial called "Boro on a Concentrator"-and its an excellent tutorial for those with a "soft glass" set-up, wanting to try out boro..Some colors are going to be more difficult to work, for sure-but it gives a good idea of what is do-able on a "limited heat" setting..and some great color suggestions.