No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-08, 6:32pm
Design Diva

Default NEW technology HHO

Has anyone seen this?! Do you think it can be used by the lampworking industry and will get rid of the use for oxygen tanks and oxygen concentrators??

http://tinyurl.com/n7yp2

Scroll down to watch the video. Pretty amazing!!

Thoughts?? Comments??

Elizabeth
Old 2008-06-08, 7:52pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

Very interesting! With astronomical gas prices, this would be absolutely phenomenal if they could get the auto makers to go for it.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-06-09, 12:57am

I've thought about the HHO generators and glass before and I'm not sure if it'll ever catch on but it sure is interesting. For years, there have been a lot of people making a lot of claims about splitting the water molecule into it's component elements for fuel.

It seems magical but I think thats because they use the "water as a fuel" line and thats what people are focussed on. Conservation of energy is a snagging point though....

There are a few ways to dissociate H2O into it's component gasses but that requires energy. Due to the inefficiency of the processes used to get and store the gasses, I don't think it currently makes sense to add a step into the energy chain. They're getting more efficient but no one is getting 2 joules of energy out from putting 1 joule of energy into dissociating the water into the gasses. No one is getting 1.1 joule of energy out from 1 in either.

I've messed with this on and off for a few years and created hydrogen a couple ways, chemical reaction and electrolysis. Electrolysis seems to be the way most of the more serious people are headed and that could be due to the fact that it uses DC, just like a cars charging and electrical system. It's not something from nothing, it's just capturing and using a small percentage of the wasted energy. Same thing as some of the modern hybrids.

It would be cool to one day just plug in the WaterTorch3000 and work glass all day off a gallon of water but I'm not sure what the electric bill would look like. Also, physics professors seem to be fond of lighting balloons of hydrogen and yeah, it's pretty explosive stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOgKxF-p-pc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMB2V...eature=related
Old 2008-06-09, 6:51am
Borovangelist

I think I saw one torch from Florida listed at about 7,000.00. That's a far cry from a 400.00 Red Max, though not far off from a high end GTT torch.

Have a look at these two videos. Only a couple of "huh?" moments though. 1. They compare HHO to oxy/acetylene. Everyone knows you don't use acetylene with glass. 2. If you listen carefully to Mr. Glass Artist, he says "I'm heating a copper ball..." Copper?

I like the copper artist though in the second video. Neat stuff.

I have to wonder if the HHO torch would melt 104 like a popsicle on the sun. I'm not about to drop 7k to find out though.

http://hytechapps.com/aquygen/art

Edit: Just to further call shenanigans on their marketing department, here's an article about John Spencer (the glass artist on hytechapps site). Note he's billed as an enamelist by this reporter:

http://www.sptimes.com/News/090801/H...ntertops.shtml

His site at the end of the article is MIA

Oh, just for an "on the other hand" mention, I know Josh Simpson has a hydrogen torch he uses in his shop. I saw it in one of his videos. Given he's a furnace worker it *can* be used on softer glasses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Last edited by menty666; 2008-06-09 at 7:00am.
Old 2008-06-09, 8:02am
Gentleman of Leisure

IF anybody want to know the whole picture, just GOOGLE "browns gas" a thousand stories only one or two successes..... Nope, its probably just not practical at this time............

When you think about it, the auto and energy industries have been trying to develop practical (economic) hydrogen gas extraction for vehicle fuels and they are still a long way off, I doubt somebody's garage project is going to be the answer ....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-06-09 at 8:09am.