Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-01-13, 6:35pm

Default Striking

I was told I might have more luck reposting this here:

I was wondering if I could get some input. I've recently been having a tremendous amount of trouble getting some colors to strike. Specifically, GA's Tequila Sunrise, Fuschia Fantasy and Clover Chameleon as well as NS's Double Purple. For all but the Clover I get lovely amber beads. I've tried flame striking and tonight kiln striking and I'm left with the third batch of amber colored beads. Occasionally with the Tequila I get a milky whitish color along with the amber. With the Clover I get a deep green with washes of blue but no lighter colors or purples whatsoever. When using GA's Triple Passion I can get a deep purple when I flame strike but nothing else.

I am at my wit's end. Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 2009-01-13, 6:59pm
Tamara Knight

Check your kiln temp - you may not be getting a true reading or it could be off
I can't tell if you are kiln striking

if you are new to Boro I would suggest reading all the info on the GA site - start here

http://glassalchemy.com/index.php/resources/user-manual

each color also has user information - here is an example

Clover Chameleon, 4484
Color Description: Grass green rod that develops multiple color highlights due to silver content.
Properties: High color saturation, opal, luster.
Working characteristics: Work in a neutral flame. Do not garage in kiln at temperatures over 1080ºF and avoid extended garage times.

Tips: After swirling or raking on color, strike in back of flame prior to annealing.

Hope this helps-this site has a ton of info
The GA site has great information on each color and gear pictures

If you are still having problems - keep posting

Tamara
Old 2009-01-13, 7:19pm
Mandrel Slayer

I have the best luck with Tequila sunrise when I put it in the kiln clear and strike in the kiln. The others I flame strike according to the manufacturers instructions.

Hope this helps a little.

Bonny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2009-01-13, 7:40pm
Flame Dame

I finally struck TS in my kiln, along with Fuchsia Fantasty. I think my kiln was at 1150. I don't know about the other 2 colors.

Leah

Etsy ID: leahbeads
Old 2009-01-13, 8:31pm

Thanks for all the input! I have some ideas to try tomorrow from everyone who was nice enough to respond here or in PMs. I also had a great conversation with the folks at Generations Glass who gave me a few more ideas. Hopefully I'll have some luck and therefore will NOT have to run over my torch in the driveway, but I'll be sure to post either way. Thank you again!!
Old 2009-01-13, 8:51pm
ManBearPig

I've never heard of Fuschia Fantasy, so I can't help there. Clover Chameleon doesn't strike like you're thinking. It's an opaque color that gets different colors on the surface. For Double Amber/Purple and Tequila Sunrise, heat them all the way up until they go transparent, then take them out of the flame for 30-40 seconds until all the glow goes away. Then slowly heat them up and they should strike. They work like Triple Passion (and if you are getting a deep purple from that, you are doing it correctly).

Old 2009-01-14, 1:36pm

Just thought I'd post to say that I made some adjustments to my concentrator to make my flame burn hotter and also tweaked the pressure of my propane tank, and I had much better luck getting some additional colors to pop by flame striking, especially with the Amber Purple. Still not the rich colors I'm going for but the batch is currently kiln striking so I have my fingers crossed! Thanks again everyone!!
Old 2009-01-14, 2:13pm

My boro improved by leaps and bounds when I got the Cricket torch. I use it with 2 concentrators.

Old 2009-01-14, 3:10pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Ooooohhhhhh! Now I'm excited........I just got my Cricket and have only been able to use it once so far.......just a soft glass batch, needed to get the feel of it......but it sounds like I'll be a MUCH happier camper working boro on it rather than my dear old Minor! Can't wait to get out and try some!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2009-01-15, 5:42pm

Make sure when your using Amber purple and Tequilla sunrise ...or any silver striking colors...use an oxidized flame to burn off the haze till the rod is transparent. be carefull not to over heat(that takes practice). then ...like Cosmo said...let it cool off till glow disappears and then slowly re-heat in back of flame and you can watch the color appear. I strike all my colors in the flame. Hope this helps ...
Old 2009-01-19, 10:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesweetbead View Post
Just thought I'd post to say that I made some adjustments to my concentrator to make my flame burn hotter and also tweaked the pressure of my propane tank, and I had much better luck getting some additional colors to pop by flame striking, especially with the Amber Purple. Still not the rich colors I'm going for but the batch is currently kiln striking so I have my fingers crossed! Thanks again everyone!!
I have been wondering if pressure adjustments would affect this. any further thoughts on what you were thinking on adjusting the propane? tia!

I have trouble striking in the kiln. If I am working on something detailed and can't do the 'heat till its clear' etc etc, then I have a heck of a time trying to get it to strike in the kiln.
Old 2009-01-20, 6:25am
ManBearPig

Provided you have enough propane to get a decent flame, adjusting the pressure coming from the regulator won't make any difference.

Bumping up your oxygen will make a difference, however. Colors like a flame with a lot of oxygen. Concentrators don't put out oxygen as pure as tanks do, so you need to run your flame where it looks a little more oxidizing than you normally would.

Old 2009-01-22, 8:40pm
Superkitty

If you are trying to strike an encased bead, do you strike it before or after you encase it?
Old 2009-01-22, 11:31pm

After...just make sure you burn off all haze before encaseing it. Thats the most important thing.
Old 2009-02-01, 6:48pm
Superkitty

Thanks!