LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-05, 6:56am

Default cranberry cracking - think I'd learn

Dang - know there are other threads on this, but I just have to ventilate after a wasted week trying to make some sculptural flowers and spacers with CIM cranberry over Effetre pink. CRACKING - JUST LIKE RUBINO!!

Wasn't paying enough attention and thought others had said that Cranberry was good where rubino was bad. Then the initial couple days had no cracking and pretty good shaping, so I spent more days and got great shaping and then noticed little cracks developing in some of the first beads. How frustrating - don't even bother!!!!!

I would sure like to include a nice pink in my beads, but it's just not worth it to waste all that time. I'm sure open to suggestions on what works.

All these beads were the cranberry over pink either in small spacers or as dots for flower petals &%$#@
Old 2013-04-05, 7:03am

CIM Cranberry I will not use because of cracking. I have never had problems with Effetre Rubino. I use Olympic Color Mystic Violet or Gold Violet are beautiful colors. Never any problems with it and it melts like a dream with no metals surfacing like the Rubino.

Here is the link.

http://www.glasscolor.com/lampworkin...rent_cane.aspx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-04-05, 7:07am

I'm so glad you replied Cynthia. I noticed your comments on another thread. Have you encased those R colors with DH zephyr or aether or effetre or do I need to add yet another clear to my arsenal? I think you mentionned gold ruby as well - looks pink - maybe just lighter, eh?

Last edited by Vicki B.; 2013-04-05 at 7:10am.
Old 2013-04-05, 7:09am

I only use Effetre clear. I'm so old school. I have no experience with the other clears out there.

Old 2013-04-05, 7:15am

Your experience is invaluable - somehow I had in my brain that folks said the cranberry had overcome the old problems I always had with rubino - ah well...live and learn. At least I got good PPP on my shaping all last week - AAARGH....
Just proves I've not been paying close enough attention to the tips section of LE.
Thanks so much for replying. I was going to pm you, but hate to badger you with questions and you were so nice in your advice about the bellflower press. Maybe that press is the best calling for the cranberry glass...
Old 2013-04-05, 7:17am
Glass Addict

I use Cranberry over dark pink often and rarely get cracks... but I anneal at a much higher temp (1050).. most of the CiM colors need the higher annealing temp not to crack.

Old 2013-04-05, 7:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilegoddess View Post
I use Cranberry over dark pink often and rarely get cracks... but I anneal at a much higher temp (1050).. most of the CiM colors need the higher annealing temp not to crack.
Well guess that could be the probelm as I anneal at 960, but I dunno - so frustrating. Don't think I want to invest more time in it. I use quite a few of the other CIM colors on this schedule and have had no problems except with an old batch of leaky pen boiling.

Guess if I make some bellflowers and anneal at 960, I can see without wasting my time.
Old 2013-04-05, 7:26am

I have never tried the higher temp. Had no problems with annealing CIM at 960 or there about except for the Cranberry. I have taken it out of my glass supply. I just don't have time for cracking issues. Drives me nuts. There are other colors similar that work fine.

Old 2013-04-05, 7:30am

well ORC is having a sale on that glass so guess there's no time like the present. Is gold ruby just a lighter shade of gold violet?
Old 2013-04-05, 8:05am

I think Gold violet is a bit more purple. Ya better buy both LOL!

Old 2013-04-05, 10:20am

Yep - done. Think I'll stick to effetre today. Ever encase the alabasters - like to get a nice yellow too.
\Thanks again
Old 2013-04-05, 11:00am

Ok now I thought you couldn't encase Alabasters. Somewhere deep in the recesses of my mind that was stored. Or, maybe I am just hallucinating.

Old 2013-04-05, 11:18am
one day at a time

I have read so many bad things about the CiM cranberry...maybe they should reformulate it?? It might be way off the COE of 104. Isn't rubino similar? I have never heard of any compatibility problems with rubino.
Old 2013-04-05, 11:21am
da General

There were compatibility issues with rubino over the years - it depends on the batch. The same with CiM Cranberry...

And opalinos and alabasters are very finicky when encased too.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-04-05, 1:49pm

That's what I thought - think I am just trying to find new things to try to keep me humble - won't encase those though. Thx
Old 2013-04-17, 6:10pm

Isn't Cranberry really expensive now? The regular price at Franz is over $80/pound although right now it's 30% off. I had some, had cracking issues, never wanted to touch it again. That was when it was about half that price, too. I would definitely not buy it now!

Old 2013-04-21, 8:28am
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilegoddess View Post
^^ This. I'd had several issues with various CIMs cracking, and saw quite a few complaints here and on FB over the years as well. Kathy from CIM said you are better off annealing at 1050 at least.

I know people who anneal that high and don't have problems with anything cracking. Keep in mind if you're using silver glasses, you could burn out the colours, but it's fine for non-reactive colours.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2013-04-21, 1:37pm

I'm tempted to try annealing higher now but I totally stack my beads on top of each other in the kiln. Would that high a temp make them stick together?

Old 2013-04-21, 1:37pm

I anneal (and garage actually) at about 990 right now.

Old 2013-04-21, 3:29pm

That might be the answer - sure hate to go that high as I am good at burning out silver glass color as it is.

Thanks everyone for the input.