Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-01-13, 9:30pm

Default Lost and confused

I got a beginners kit from flameworks for Christmas. I already need to jump up, as I'm feeling very frustrated. (I have worked with a little smith torch for years on jewelry). I guess my biggest problem at this point, is having some basic instruction. I live in the Los Angeles ares, but can not seem to find anywhere to take classes. Is there a book that explains all the differences between the glasses, reduction, vitrification, striking, annealing temperatures, etc. I am dying to learn!

Thanks
Danielle
Old 2015-01-13, 9:38pm
Loving learning

There are some really good books out there, among them:
Passing the Flame ~ Corina Tettinger
Making Glass Beads ~ Cindy Jenkins
and others. Your library may have some books, or be able to get them with an interlibrary loan.
I'm sure others can mention more.

There is also a wealth of information on this site. Check out the tips and questions area, or do a search on the subject you want to know about. Use the * as a wild card if there are not at least 4 letters in a word you need to search, and use more than one word to narrow the results down a bit. Also once you click a link, if it's a long thread you can the "search this thread" button to take you to the post(s) that mention your search term if you want.
Old 2015-01-14, 10:23am

MORE THAN YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT GLASS BEADMAKING

james kervin
Old 2015-01-14, 10:25am
Wonder-wench

Contemporary Lampworking by Bandu is sometimes referred to as the "Glassworkers Bible". I find it to be the most comprehensive reference book for every one of your question areas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-14, 10:32am
Flame Dames Rule!

Check out The Mandrel in Long Beach... good classes, give em a call!

At the very beginning it's so much easier to learn when you can see the demo and then do question/answer. Welcome to the fun stuff, toots!

http://www.themandrel.com/

Updated to add: And there's a great beading group in your area, a local chapter of the International Society of Glass Beadmakers. Here's the info:

So Cal Flame Surfers
The So-Cal Flame Surfers first meeting of the year is on March 7, 2015 10am – 1pm. The bead exchange theme will be Flowers, or Spring Holiday Themed Beads More info to follow. See their website at: http://www.socalflamesurfers.org for more information.

*sharon*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Last edited by SharonP; 2015-01-14 at 10:34am.
Old 2015-01-14, 7:35pm

^^ THIS ^^

I tried to learn from books and a video but the info didn't stick until I took a class, nothing like seeing it in person and being able to ask questions.
-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2015-01-15, 9:09am
Dancing Moon Shadows

Also, do a search on You Tube for Lampwork Tutorials. There are many available.

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2015-01-15, 5:14pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I learned from YouTube and the Cindy Jenkins book. Didn't take my first class until I'd been at it for more than a year and a half. Learning curve would have been a lot easier with a class, but I think in some ways I'd've been more frustrated, because I couldn't afford to move up to a Big Kid torch until I'd been at it almost 2 years.

DO spend the 30-something dollars to replace the fireworks torch with a Hothead. You won't be sorry.

L-111

Old 2015-01-15, 9:48pm

Thank you! I am soo over the flameworks torch already! I'm buying a big girl torch tomorrow to go with what the air gas guy calls my "Barbie Torch" set up. (Little smith). Ha! I'll show him! I've been on you tube ad nausieum, and got a couple of the recommended books. I guess I will just sit down on Saturday with a melt marathon. I'll post my pathetic little glass mistakes as soon as I have something to show. Hopefully, it won't be several years.

Thank you, VERY much again! for the help! I'll take all of the hints you have!
Old 2015-01-15, 10:33pm

Also... What are all of the companies that make this stuff.. Vitrified, lauscha, moretti, devardi, double helix, etc.. Any chart that breaks down the big differences, as I'm confused again.. Thank you!
Old 2015-01-16, 4:11am
Now part of the Dark Side

Mostly it comes down to available colors. Moretti is fairly inexpensive, Double Helix, I think, is mostly silver glass so it's more expensive. I went to the darkside before I started playing with expensive 104 colors.
Old 2015-01-16, 3:37pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Thanks for the referral Sharon! I met Danielle today... tried to answer her questions. She's upgraded to a Nortel Minor from her "Barbie" torch.

Old 2015-01-16, 6:12pm

It was definitely worth the long drive to go to "The Mandrel"! Donna was generous with her knowledge and time. The studio was very well stocked, and after some practice with my new torch, that she hooked me up with, (THANK YOU!), I am going to schedule a couple of classes. Thank you, Sharon.. I have a better sense of direction now!!
Old 2015-01-16, 7:36pm
Sucks at being nice

Donna is a sweetheart! You will learn so much from her.

Old 2015-01-16, 9:44pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I"m so glad, you couldn't do better.

Now we have to get you to the Gathering in Albuquerque!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2015-01-17, 9:31am
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
I"m so glad, you couldn't do better.

Now we have to get you to the Gathering in Albuquerque!
Glass Stock in Eugene is close too.

Old 2015-01-17, 2:57pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Awww! Thank you... that's super sweet of you to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinwelch View Post
Donna is a sweetheart! You will learn so much from her.

Old 2015-01-17, 2:58pm
"Sinners have soul too"

It was great to meet you Danielle... you're welcome to come over any time. Just send me a text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Mc View Post
It was definitely worth the long drive to go to "The Mandrel"! Donna was generous with her knowledge and time. The studio was very well stocked, and after some practice with my new torch, that she hooked me up with, (THANK YOU!), I am going to schedule a couple of classes. Thank you, Sharon.. I have a better sense of direction now!!

Old 2015-01-17, 9:48pm

Thank you, very much again, Donna. Very fun day! You are the best!

Sharon.......Albuquerque???? Whaaaat?
Old 2015-01-17, 10:00pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Heh heh... here ya go!

http://www.isgb.org/gathering.html