Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-06-20, 12:06pm

Default Pressure relief valve for concentrators?

So, I need a pressure relief valve for my concentrator because I am building a foot pedal for my bravo. Has anyone used one? Do you know the specific part # or where you got it? All the places I have called have been completely clueless as to which one I need. I posted a question in another post, but hoping posting anoter might get some answers. Thanks!
Old 2013-06-20, 1:27pm

Talked to the peeps building my 02 unit, they say it won't be a problem, that I would gave to leave the center fire off for a really long time fir it to be an issue, and that if the bladder does break, they would fix it. So, yay!
Old 2013-06-20, 2:47pm
Alaska Boro

It would be best to get that 'fix it' statement in writing. Down the road when the unit fails the company may just say that the concentrator was abused and not cover any repair costs. The other downside is shipping. Will they pay for shipping both ways if there is an issue?
Old 2013-06-20, 3:18pm

Okay. Will keep it in mind. Thanks!
Old 2013-06-22, 8:52am
Curmudgeon Engineering

As I read the post here and in a privious thread I think there is a disconnect in terminology. The "pressure relief valve" mentioned was simply a solenoid (or even a manual) valve that opened to atmosphere thus ensureing a flow through the system. When you searched via other people, avenues, for a pressure release valve they thought you were looking for a 'safety' type valve that opens when the pressure gets above a certain set point to protect you and the system.

What the poster meant was a pressure bypass valve.

PJH
Old 2013-08-30, 2:12pm
Super Duper

Here is a valve that is adjustable from 0-20psi.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#48935k25/=oal4zc

I purchased one and am planning on using it in my system. I don't really feel that it is necessary but for 7$ might as well play it safe.
Old 2013-08-30, 2:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokeshikitten View Post
So, I need a pressure relief valve for my concentrator because I am building a foot pedal for my bravo.!
I realize that people on tanked oxygen wouldn't want any oxygen to go to waste, but that wouldn't be an issue with concentrators. Would it be feasable to set up a foot pedal to switch between two outlets (one just to air), instead of an off/on switch? This would eliminate any concerns about back pressure to the concentrator.

Darrell
Old 2013-08-30, 3:38pm
Alaska Boro

Have not found the necessity to use a foot pedal for the Scropion with use of concentrators. Have set up the torch so that the outer fire always has oxygen supplied. That helps form the inner flame and when the outer is needed it is then only necessary to add fuel to the outer flame.

Many of the NS colors require an oxygen rich flame so IMO the additional oxygen is a plus.

If constructing a home made foot pedal one could be made with an extra valve so that when oxygen is off to the torch the excess is bled off. If an adjustment for that is needed then a simple valve from the pet fish store would be sufficient.
Old 2013-08-31, 3:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgrant View Post
Would it be feasable to set up a foot pedal to switch between two outlets (one just to air), instead of an off/on switch?
Yes, this is possible and not especially difficult. Electric solenoids are either open or closed by default, and they reverse when a current is applied. Just get a pair of solenoids, one of them open-by-default, the other closed, and hook the propane up after a Y splitter, one to each side. Then, hook the solenoid's wiring in circuit, with the wire going from source, to one solenoid, to the other solenoid, then back to source. Finally, pipe one solenoid's oxygen output to the torch and the other to the atmosphere.

Last edited by dusty; 2013-08-31 at 4:09pm.
Old 2013-08-31, 10:39pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Solenoids can also be gotten that are 3 port. One or the other is open, the other closed, and energizing the coil reverses that arrangment.