Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2015-01-13, 8:58am

Default Cleaning a Torch

Has anyone ever taken apart their torch to clean it? Would you recommend it? A friend of mine has a Redmax that she was cleaning the ports with the little wire cleaner that comes with it. Now she has some dead spots. She doesn't believe she left anything stuck in the ports but can't be sure. She'll send it off to Nortel but really can't be down too long. Any suggestions and info is greatly apppreciated.
Old 2015-01-13, 10:09am

I think taking it apart would vary widely depending on the torch model--I wouldn't know where to start with my bobcat.

I would clean several times with the wire, and turn up the gas and oxy afterwards to "blow the gunk out", but if the tubes remain dead after that, it's probably time for Nortel. HTH,
Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-13, 12:59pm

I too would try cleaning again - if you are using O2 concentrator - I would turn it on and clean with o2 running. I know everyone says to turn on o2 after but all I can think of when running a wire into the ports and NOT have my O2 running is loading a cannon with the wire being a plunger.....pack that crap down in there and really plug those ports up with carbon - only other thing you need is powder and a pellet /wink.....

The wire is scraping carbon off the sides of the port but its all getting shoved towards the back of the port.....

so I always clean with my O2 running.....

I doubt I would disassemble my bravo - if it leaks when I put back together or if I cant get it back together - then it's a great paper weight....

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-01-13 at 1:15pm.