Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2015-02-18, 2:55pm

Default Bethlehem Alpha vers GTT Lynx?

Does anybody have experience with both of those burners? Can they run efficiently on two 5-liter oxycons? I have seen in another thread a chart stating you can't run Alpha on a 5 liter, it requires 12, but can it make do with 2 x 5 =10? it is to be used for boro glass (small items) as well as COE 104.
I ask this because we can only get 5-liter oxycons here in Denmark.
I run my Bobcat on two of those with great success.
And tanked oxygen is financially not an option.

Besides needing an burner hot enough for boro, it also has to have a small pinpoint flame for tiny details on soft glass beads.
Old 2015-02-18, 5:39pm
Artistically Absorbed

I don't know about the lynx. I do have an alpha and run mine on 2 M-15 it is plenty of power to do boro too, on a smaller scale... like inch - inch and a half. I turn them down to do soft. I am a Bethlehem girl though, it was my first torch 12 years ago, and a few years ago bought the Alpha and if I buy again it will be Beth again to my last.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA Artist A64

Old 2015-02-18, 7:05pm

The Alpha, bobcat, lynx are all about the same class of torch 6-7 jets of fire.

I run a bobcat on a 8LPM 15 psi oxycon and it does a good job and all I have ever done is boro, I work some 32MM x 4mm tube no trouble. Im buying a bigger torch soon.
Old 2015-02-18, 9:57pm
I fart diamonds

The Alpha has a smaller flame and isn't as hot as the Lynx or Bobcat. It will run great on 2 5lpm machines but it will not be at it's full capacity. If you're just working soft glass and small boro, it shouldn't be an issue. It's a nice torch.

Is the Bobcat you're running an old model or the newer one? (The old model came with hoses attached, like the Lynx.) If it's the old model, the Alpha may be slightly hotter on the 2 5lpm concentrator setup. The newer Bobcats are more oxy efficient and run better on oxycons than the older models did/do.

Old 2015-02-18, 11:40pm

Not even close. Lynx puts out a lot more heat.
Old 2015-02-19, 12:17am

There must be a reason the lynx is $435 and the alpha and bobcat are about $195-$202.

I sure would hope the lynx is hotter.
Old 2015-02-19, 8:58am
Marble Lover

I have a Bravo which I believe uses the Alpha for the center fire. I run the center fire off of an M20 OxyCon ( 10lpm? ) and its definitely fine for boro beads and small marbles and pendants. As Shawnette said, it doesn't reach its full potential on an 10lpm, but it can definitely get a large flame just from that and tanked propane.

I haven't tried to get a pinpoint flame with my "Alpha", but it can do it. Here's a video on the Alpha - I've started it right before the pinpoint flame demo. I suggest you watch the whole thing, though.

http://youtu.be/z8nvYG_RQFk?t=2m0s

The Lynx can get a nice pinpoint flame, too. I imagine the Bobcat can, but haven't see one do it.

The Lynx is over double the price because it's a triple-mix. They have a little more learning curve than a non-triple-mix torch, but also give you some more control over your flame.

-BEP
Old 2015-02-19, 11:45am

When I was shopping for a first torch I was going to get an Alpha but found the GTT Bobcat on E bay and won it for $172.50 otherwise I would be running an Alpha.

The bobcat will make a tiny pinpoint flame too, I think all the small torches do tiny flames just fine.

Not needing a pinpoint flame I just ordered a Cheetah over the lynx, I still have the bobcat for smaller fine work.

My trouble with Bethlehem torches is that big price jump. $202 - $975 It would be nice to have a $500 torch in there somewhere.
Old 2015-02-19, 12:10pm

Just keep in mind that in this area more so then some others, you really do get what you pay for. Is the Lynx twice the torch as the Alpha? In my opinion yes. They also keep their resale value extremely well. I see them regularly selling for full retail as used.
Old 2015-02-19, 1:22pm
da General

This thread isn't about which torch is better but which one will work for you, Kathe. Since you are limited to the size of the oxycon you can get in Denmark, this is a no brainer. Go with the Alpha. A Lynx cannot be run efficiently on two 5-liter oxycons – even with one 15 it's still lacking while the Alpha is designed to be efficient on oxycons and two 5s will work fine.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2015-02-19 at 2:12pm.
Old 2015-02-19, 1:56pm

This list claims the lynx will run ok on 2 5lpm oxycons.

http://artistryinglass.on.ca/charts/...ortorches.html

I have an 8 LPM 15psi oxycon and I intend on running my cheetah with it.
It claims I will get 80%
Old 2015-02-19, 2:21pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post

It claims I will get 80%
Claims and reality do not necessarily match the actual experience. Numbers also don't always give you the real picture. My Regalia – 7 psi/10 lpm – powers both the Bravo and its predecessor, Barracuda better than TWO M15/EX15 - 8 psi/15 lpm (together supposed to yield approximately 13-14 psi when each is set at 7 psi for purer oxygen). Both (Regalia alone or two 15s together) run the Barracuda/Bravo about 65%. With one Regalia and one 15 together, it's running about 75%. With all three together, it's running probably 85-90%.

Best is to try it out with different configurations and see for yourself.

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-03-04, 1:35pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 View Post

It claims I will get 80%
You are going to be very disappointed. The Cheetah will not run well off that setup. In fact, I wouldn't even recommend running a Cheetah on oxycons. It can be done (I did it), but real life performance isn't the same as what has been published. I ended up trading mine for a Lynx because that's how bad it was. If you're going to run off an oxycon(s), the Scorpion would be better.