TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-07-03, 4:42am

Default Mini CC Question

I have heard that running a Mini CC on one concentrator is not good for the torch. We all hear that running it on one concentrator makes it hot to touch, but I just heard yesterday that the torch itself being that hot is bad for the torch.

Why? What does it do to the torch to damage it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-03, 10:42am
PyronamixK

OK, I'll try to explain this so that it makes sense.

When you are running a torch too low, like with only one concentrator in the case of a MiniCC, ignition of the oxygen and fuel takes place too close to the face of the torch, sometimes right off the tubes themselves. This will cause the metal tubes to disintegrate. Typically, in a torch with a clustered tube configuration, the center tube is the first to go as it takes on the most heat. I posted a thread about center tube erosion that goes into more detail.

Anyway, to avoid this problem, you add a little thrust to the flame and push the ignition point farther away from the face of the torch. In other words, bump up your pressure and run longer candles. This is probably why Carlisle recommends that the MiniCC be run with 3/8" candles.
Old 2006-07-03, 10:57am

so you can safely run it on one concentrator if you follow carlisles guidelines...

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-03, 11:04am
I'm a lilac!

When I was running my Mini CC's for classes they seemed to do fine on one concentrator. Haven't done any classes for a while, but I did have one set up and was using it as my primary torch for a while. It does very well on one concentrator, and really cooks on two.

Old 2006-07-03, 11:08am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin L
so you can safely run it on one concentrator if you follow carlisles guidelines...

Thanks!
Well, remember that by their guidelines, they are saying that you can run the torch on low pressures. In my opinion, the pressures they have are too low for that torch.